S&B 3-12x42 Klassik for hunting

Hey guys, first post here. I have read a ton lately, and in short I see Leupold's can lose zero, Vortex's depend on model a lot, and anything below 1000$ seems to not be what I am looking for.
I have a remington 700 pcr in 12.5" barrel which is this:

I am looking at a using this for deer where shots will be up to 200 yards, more likely 100 yards. I want to be able to target shoot with it for fun up to a few hundred yards too. Weight isn't a huge factor, low light matters, I want it to be able to track properly and I am a total noob when it comes to turrets and zero reset and whatnot. I never used it but I like the idea of turrets that can be locked and moved and would spend the money to have finally one nice scope that can do that for fun target shooting.
The P3L reticle has holdovers which I want. Is there a better scope for the money that will track if I need it to, ect? I've only ever used bushnells and a vortex diamondback and have no experience.
Just wondering what rings you guys would go with for that rifle too.
The trijicon credo 1-6x24 ffp seems nice too but for example it is x24 which I suppose won't gather as much light for hunting, otherwise I really think I am okay with that, I am open to a fixed 6 scope too and definitely anything under x12 too, I like the mildot type reticles that are not caliber specific so I can just use my own holds and eventually change guns. Especially because 12.5 barrel might not match a regular 308 drop anyways and I could use heavy bullets ect.
School me please lol, I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

OP
C
I only put it in the title but the S&B 3-12x42 klassic I really like the reticle on it and the feedback from this forum on that scope so far but yes it is a little more scope than I need, I deer hunt usually in the bush where in November I can see maybe 150 yards, possibly can hunt a field too eventually and take further shots.

sdupontjr

WKR
Yes. Great optic. I had a 2.5-10x56 klassik on my 308 for my hunting situation like yours. Sold it only to upgrade to the 4-16x56 Polar T96 for low light hunting. I would have no problem getting another Klassik.

Macintosh

WKR
Klasik is a good scope and will do what you want, but seems a little overkill for what you are talking about (ie 200 and in is all point blank range). P3 is just a mildot reticle. Why not go with a 3-9 with a mildot reticle, or a shv 3-10? Lighter, simpler, less $ so you can buy ammo with the difference and practice, etc. 3-9 credo is available in a mil dot reticle if thats helpful for practice—its definitely not needed at 200 and in.

Johnwell

FNG
You mention both dialing and holding over; which are you more interested in doing? For a few hundred yards on targets and <200 yards for hunting (which I think is a realistic number for most hunting applications) I agree that the 3-12 klassik may be overkill. You could probably do all of what you’re talking about with a red dot; so any magnified optic would work for your application.

From my experience, a 3-9 with good turrets will easily make it to 1000 yard targets on a 308 class rifle. Also, I never use the vertical portion of mil dots for holdovers, personally; I only use the left and right portion for wind holds.

Do you want ffp? Are you ever planning on shooting past 300-400 yards? Or could you live with sfp and a plain duplex if you could dial?

As for light gathering; it depends on both the objective size and the magnification of a scope. I have never looked through the trijicon you’re talking about, but it might do better than you’d expect due to the massive exit pupil at 1x. I doubt it’d be as good as a s&b though.

You could also look at the 2.5-10 credo if you want ffp. I don’t have any hands-on experience with that one either though.

If you could find a SWFA 3-9 they’re pretty solid, but again, maybe overkill for 300 yards.