Ryan Avery on recent Podcast ..SWFA scopes

Clark33

WKR
So can we petition SWFA to make a new line with a zero stop and capped windage. I’d pay a little extra for that if they still work.

sndmn11

WKR
So can we petition SWFA to make a new line with a zero stop and capped windage. I’d pay a little extra for that if they still work.
No no no no no, they are great just how they are and don't new any additional features whatsoever. if you feel like throwing money away, send me your scope, your "little extra" that you would pay, and I will send it back with your wants met.

I’ve heard the glass is pretty dim in low light. For a hunting optic, glass coatings that brighten image in low light are imperative.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve heard the glass is pretty dim in low light. For a hunting optic, glass coatings that brighten image in low light are imperative.
I’ve found the glass perfectly adequate in low light conditions in the original versions of the 6x and the 3-15x. The coatings in the HD versions, including the 3-9 have been upgraded. Honestly though, I think the turret caps could go on a serious diet and the windage turret could get capped without changing any of the internal construction and durability. For me the giant turrets are a minor annoyance that I overlook for a scope that actually holds zero for all the miles of washboard roads I travel every year. But they are pretty much 1992 Tactical Timmy.

ETtikka

WKR
Seems like the consensus on here is that the 6x will provide low light performance that is plenty adequate during legal shooting hours

Clark33

WKR
No no no no no, they are great just how they are and don't new any additional features whatsoever. if you feel like throwing money away, send me your scope, your "little extra" that you would pay, and I will send it back with your wants met.
Sure thing boss

OP
B
Newbie here, what are capped turrets? Are you saving pull the turret off windage and replace it with the waterproof vinyl cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie here, what are capped turrets? Are you saving pull the turret off windage and replace it with the waterproof vinyl cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes to using a plastic or vinyl cap on the windage in place of the metal cap that comes with the scope.

TxxAgg

WKR
Do you just sand down those washers until they fit right?
If you search youtube for "SWFA Zero Stop Shims" there are 4 or 5 videos explaining how it works. You can go down to the hardware store and for less than $5 and 10 mins tinkering you'll be all set.

If you search youtube for "SWFA Zero Stop Shims" there are 4 or 5 videos explaining how it works. You can go down to the hardware store and for less than $5 and 10 mins tinkering you'll be all set.
I have one of the kits. But that washer in that link is only one size so I guess he is sanding it down. That seems like a better way to do it than trying to stack washers of different thicknesses.

sndmn11

WKR
Do you just sand down those washers until they fit right?
No, at ace there are two thicknesses. I just do the minimum number needed to fill the space.

Typically the top of the inside brass spindle bottoms out with the middle inside of the top of the turret. Putting washers in the space around the brass spindle will make those washers bottom out with the outer inside of the top of the turret. The result is raising the turret off of the brass spindle.

If you wanted both the washers and the brass spindle to contact the turret, you could sand them down.