Rx7 or Rx 7 ultra Brand new to shooting a bow

DanimalW

WKR
I have one. I think you’ll be happy with it. Same draw length as well. I did draw one of the 80 lb bows at scheels. I could pull it back slowly while sitting down, but it was more challenging. Went with the 60-70 and it’s maxed out at 72. I don’t think you’ll be that bad off if you go with the 70-80 limbs and keep it around 75. I also don’t think you need that either. Plus, not having shot before, you’re not going to even know the difference between 10-15 fps.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I actually own both, the rx7 ultra and rx7. Both of them shoot really good, the ultra is a little bit smoother, but the rx7 is faster, with the same 435 grain arrow, the ultra is getting 271 fps, while the rx7 is 298. Both of them are 60-70, but the ultra is 72# and the rx7 is at 75#. You can't go wrong with either one.

DanimalW

WKR
I actually own both, the rx7 ultra and rx7. Both of them shoot really good, the ultra is a little bit smoother, but the rx7 is faster, with the same 435 grain arrow, the ultra is getting 271 fps, while the rx7 is 298. Both of them are 60-70, but the ultra is 72# and the rx7 is at 75#. You can't go wrong with either one.
What’s your draw length? Just curious what speed mine’s shooting near with the same draw weight and arrow weight.

DanimalW

WKR
Probably want to get some arrows with enough spine to handle the heavier draw weight if you plan to start low and increase poundage. Something to discuss with your pro shop because arrows aren’t cheap.

I have an RX7 ultra and love it. The only concern I would have with a high draw weight is when it is cold. I hunt NE Ohio and when you're sitting on the stand for a few hours and it's cold. A high draw weight is difficult. I like a draw weight that is manageable, especially with bulky clothing.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
As someone that shot my first bow 8 months ago, bought a Ventum 33 (old model on discount), harvested my first deer in October, is 6’2”, and just ordered an RX7 Ultra with 80# limbs, I think you made a brilliant choice.

I wish I would have got the RX7 Ultra initially rather than trying to tiptoe into something I knew that I was hooked on the first time I fired a bow.

On the bright side, I will now have a good backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Matias

FNG
Probably want to get some arrows with enough spine to handle the heavier draw weight if you plan to start low and increase poundage. Something to discuss with your pro shop because arrows aren’t cheap.
Ended up having some .001 29 inch arrows with 300 spine and 150 up front using field points. They said I could have gone lighter but seeing I will probably move up in poundage later a stiffer arrow was best.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Your height and draw length are very similar to mine…I’m 6’0 with a 29” draw. I love the longer axle Hoyt bows and don’t think you went wrong with the ultra. My first bow was a Strother Rush XT in a 33” ATA; then went to a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34; Hoyt RX-4 Ultra; and now the RX-7 Ulta in the same 70-80lb weight. The others were all 60-70lb set around 65. The new RX-7 Ultra feels pretty similar at 70lbs as the others at 65lbs. I think the new cams really smooth out the draw cycle. 80lbs is a stretch currently for continuous reps before fatigue. My only reservation is if you aren’t shooting at 70 or above soon, you’d be better off with the 60-70 setup to be drawing more performance out of your setup…most bows are set to perform best closer to the high end of their draw weight. 65lbs was plenty to bring down elk, pigs, and antelope at distance in my experience too.

I have/currently shoot 300 spine GT Pierce Platinums with 100gr points on all of the Hoyts I’ve used with great results…might consider a 340 spine in this arrow or ask your shop about that as they should be a little more forgiving as you’re getting started. Also, while it’s a bit more expensive on the better arrows, choosing what you plan to regularly shoot will save you from redialing your tape/pins on your sight later. Plus, unless you’re Robinhooding your arrows or losing them, they last a quite a while.

OP
M

Matias

FNG
Your height and draw length are very similar to mine…I’m 6’0 with a 29” draw. I love the longer axle Hoyt bows and don’t think you went wrong with the ultra. My first bow was a Strother Rush XT in a 33” ATA; then went to a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34; Hoyt RX-4 Ultra; and now the RX-7 Ulta in the same 70-80lb weight. The others were all 60-70lb set around 65. The new RX-7 Ultra feels pretty similar at 70lbs as the others at 65lbs. I think the new cams really smooth out the draw cycle. 80lbs is a stretch currently for continuous reps before fatigue. My only reservation is if you aren’t shooting at 70 or above soon, you’d be better off with the 60-70 setup to be drawing more performance out of your setup…most bows are set to perform best closer to the high end of their draw weight. 65lbs was plenty to bring down elk, pigs, and antelope at distance in my experience too.

I have/currently shoot 300 spine GT Pierce Platinums with 100gr points on all of the Hoyts I’ve used with great results…might consider a 340 spine in this arrow or ask your shop about that as they should be a little more forgiving as you’re getting started. Also, while it’s a bit more expensive on the better arrows, choosing what you plan to regularly shoot will save you from redialing your tape/pins on your sight later. Plus, unless you’re Robinhooding your arrows or losing them, they last a quite a while.
Thanks for the info. So far I love the bow and setup. Archery is definitely challenging and being able to consistently repeat a shot is no easy task but sure fun.

I am now up to 68lbs after a month or shooting in my basement. I went with a 300 spine VAP tko with 150 up front. This was recommended by the gentleman who I took a few lessons from to try and learn proper mechanic and form. My only problem at this point is a solid case of shoulder vaginitis. Lol.

Attachments

• B0A2F848-AD6E-4E1B-8B7B-E0841E1520E6.jpeg
    B0A2F848-AD6E-4E1B-8B7B-E0841E1520E6.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 15
  • B32CECBA-BBB7-4D53-9840-0BFFBA6B4F02.jpeg
    B32CECBA-BBB7-4D53-9840-0BFFBA6B4F02.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 19

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats -love the buckskin color of your bow. Keep at it while focusing your anchor points…also, try cutting a 1” bright dot (from a post-it note or other bright colored paper) and tape it on your target to improve your point of aim for aiming small. You’d be surprised how much that can help tighten up your groups against a black target like you’re shooting at. That’s how I regularly practice at 20 yards in my backyard.

BTW…Beautiful view from your backyard.

450FB4E8-1AC3-4CDB-AA72-98C144DAF9C4.jpeg