RV rental question

zacattack

WKR
Planning trips for the family this summer and probably going to try and make it to a few national parks. Thinking of renting an RV, it’s me, wife and 2 kids under 4 years old. Had a question about pricing for rental RV’s. For anyone that’s done this was it worth it? I see some charge mileage and some charge a flat fee for unlimited miles. We would be doing a pretty long haul from Arkansas to Utah and maybe Idaho too.

TSAMP

WKR
Pricing is pretty wild. Depending on your vehicle I'd look at a towable, they are less expensive generally by a long shot.

Outdoorsy is a website to look at pricing.

If it was me, I'd line up camper rentals at predetermined camp grounds and they usually are setup and ready for you when you arrive, no towing required. Drive from spot to spot with no cares and enjoy the rv lifestyle once your there.

2531usmc

WKR
Rented an RV for two weeks in Alaska last year. Best vacation ever.

gonna rent one in the Yukon this summer for 10 days.

not exactly cheap, but hotels and eating out for every meal is not really cheap either

arrowjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
If you are able to spend some time looking around you can find some decent deals, at least in my neck of the woods. I found facebook marketplace or some other direct rental was the better option. I seemed to lose a lot of the miscellaneous fees that way.

180ls1

WKR
Consider a small diesel on a sprinter platform or similar. The poor MPG of gas ones quickly eat up $$$.

We've rented from RVshare.com a couple times. It's like Turo, but for campers and offers a wide variety of options. You can pick up near you or on your way somewhere, which can save you a little on gas.

I rented one in Alaska for a week a couple summers ago. It was about $2500 but the fuel cost was considerable. There was also a fair amount of road noise, plus pots, pans and window blinds rattling.

It was great in all but I would probably not do it roundtrip from Arkansas to Idaho.

I would agree with the above to consider a camper van for such a long distance.