RV camping around Yellowstone in November?

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Im heading to idaho at the end of October for a otc mule deer hunt with my dad. He mentioned he would like to take a few extra days and visit Yellowstone while we are there. Looking into it a bit more every rv park seems to close sometime in October for the year.

We are pulling a 30’ toy hauler and will be camping on National forest or blm while hunting which is fine, we have a generator and everything needed to primitive camp.

November first the east, west, and south entrance will close and the north entrance is “supposed” to be opening. We possibly could make it into the park on the west entrance if the hunt goes good early enough and we get there before November 1st maybe. If not we will be entering through the north.

With the rv parks closed is there anywhere someone could point me to park and camp for a few days? Primitive, blm, nat forest type spot is fine, im just trying to not have to go exploring for a spot pulling a 30’ trailer.

We really didn’t have any intentions of stopping at the park until this last week so we are pretty limited on the research i’m able to do, but I know if I don’t bring my dad he’s never going to go so I’m really trying to make this happen.

Any help, tips, pointers, or must see/dos are very much appreciated.

Thanks

wytx

WKR
OP
J

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, i did call the park and I do understand that a majority of the park will not be accessible. Just trying to make the best of it I can. This is basically a secondary part of our trip.

Ideally I’d like to be able to have the trailer parked somewhere outside of the park and just doing what I can with just my truck. Even if I would have to drive from bozeman (which the map says is 1.5 hours?) that would be fine.

The lady at the park said the plans are to have the north entrance open by November 1st and we will be keeping up with that situation before we drive all the way around to the north.

wyosteve

WKR
I think Bozeman is your best bet. There’s a nice Forest Service campground just east of Cooke City, but could be closed then. If not you’d have to cross Chief Joseph pass on your way home and not sure I’d want to be towing that big of a camper across the pass at that time of year.

Mojave

WKR
Always hard to find a place to camp in the mountains of NW WY and SW MT in November. You just never know when the snow is going to smash everything closed for the season.

Some years the snow doesn't really hit until Mid-December. Some years there is a snow load 1 October.

Mojave

WKR
I am pretty partial to Teton, in my mind it is the prettiest park in the lower 48.

Jackson is a way nicer ski-town than anything else in the Rockies. But then again it is where the billionaires ran off all the millionaires in the 1970s.

Yellowstone Hotsprings and RV Park is just a few miles north of North Entrance. I would pack chains for your truck if your towing in this area.
Livingston KOA is in Paradise Valley.

jayhawk

WKR
I stayed at the KOA in Jackson one time, but it was in Sept. It was a nice place and there’s plenty to see in the area and close to Yellowstone

Roughout

FNG
Second Yellowstone Hotsprings, however, I’m uncertain if they sustained damage from flood.

The north entrance (if open from flood damage) to Cooke city is open 365 days a year. I just did this trip but in early March (interior of park closed). Plan to stay in Gardiner and enter thru north gate. If you have eye for wildlife, you will see all you need to see there. You can also access Mammoth Hot spring on this route. We hired a guide for 1 day, has a good experience and made locating the goats/wolves/sheep much easier on a short itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
I suggest go to Yellowstone/Tetons first while it and the RV parks are still open. Then, go hunting.

I can just about guarantee that you can have a good trip at Yellowstone/Tetons. Nobody can guarantee your hunting success, but starting 2-3 days later probably isn't going to hurt your hunting success rate that much.

OP
J

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys

We are not against going to tetons/Jackson hole and if the north entrance doesn’t open we will likely try that.

I haven’t considered hiring a tour guide, but with our short window and lack of planning I may try to see if I can find one on a short notice.

OP
J

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Second Yellowstone Hotsprings, however, I’m uncertain if they sustained damage from flood.

The north entrance (if open from flood damage) to Cooke city is open 365 days a year. I just did this trip but in early March (interior of park closed). Plan to stay in Gardiner and enter thru north gate. If you have eye for wildlife, you will see all you need to see there. You can also access Mammoth Hot spring on this route. We hired a guide for 1 day, has a good experience and made locating the goats/wolves/sheep much easier on a short itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think it could possibly be a good idea for us to hire a tour guide for a day if we can find one. Especially with our short notice and lack of planning.

Do you have any recommendations?

OP
J

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Carbella is a BLM Rec site north of Gardner, I don't know if there are seasonal closures or not.

That’s in a good spot, the website doesn’t mention anything about seasonal closures, but I’ll give them a call whenever they open to double check. Thanks!