Running out of room

i need logic help. I currently shoot a Montana Black Gold 5 pin roller on a 6” dovetail. I do the dovetail to assist my bad eyesight. It’s like holding the newspaper 6” from my face so I can read. I do also have a Specialty Archery lense in my peep. Anyhow, moving all my pins up etc, the furthest I can shoot is 103 yards without hitting my sight with arrow. My question finally is……if I ditch the dovetail and just use a shorter sight which is closer to my bow does that make me have more range or less range? I think more but it’s screwing with my mind. Thanks in advance!

OP
F
Also, I’m thinking maybe I play with peep location. I know by moving it up I think give me more latitude for long range.

Sight closer to the riser will give you more distance on a slider.

You are correct, a lower anchor point (higher peep placement) will give you more range.

I wouldn't go changing a solid anchor point tho to gain more distance. That's kinda 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards my opion.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is to switch to a lighter weight arrow. I’m assuming this is primarily for 3D and a lighter arrow that still flies well would also give you added range.

As stated bringing the sight closer to the riser will also help increase your yardage.

dtrkyman

WKR
Agree with Billy Goat, I do like to set my peep height at a middle distance if I am trying to stretch out but I usually shoot out to 100 and have no issue getting there.

But you can try setting you peep at 50 yards.

OP
F
I like my peep location now. It’s 5 1/2” CL of peep to CL of d loop. I just thought it would be fun shooting out to 125 or 150. But thanks for original answer…ditch dovetail will also expand range…Thank you!

OP
F
Another option is to switch to a lighter weight arrow. I’m assuming this is primarily for 3D and a lighter arrow that still flies well would also give you added range.

As stated bringing the sight closer to the riser will also help increase your yardage.
I’m a short DL and I’ve been messing with arrow weights. I’m right around 500 now. Yes just for fun for 3d and to practice. It’s too expensive to Dick around with arrows nowadays. I probably spent 1k on my last experiments with 4mm long range with all the iron Will components. Haha. Thanks guys for the info!

If I were you op I'd maybe mess with moving the sight closer but I probably wouldn't change my anchor and if moving the housing closer messes with the peep alignment I'd move it right back and just practice at 100. At that range your gonna have to be pretty dialed in to be shoot9ng well

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk