Running Again

OP
D
I've really been itching to, not just lose weight, but get fit again. Getting back into running has been on my mind a lot, but I think I'm just too heavy still to start doing it. Last time I did any real running, I was around 205-210. Currently 250. I've got a bad lower back and an irritable right knee. Just seems like a bad idea at my weight. I think I'll just keep doing the elliptical, treadmill, and hiking until I drop 25 or so.
FYI..
IF you can eat clean, not eat within 3 hours of going to bed, and do a weight lifting routine with complex movements that get your heart rate up, you'll burn calories waaaaay faster and drop that weight

OP
D
so I've been at it consistently and working hard. I've actually dropped my running and been doing A LOT of 65% heart rate type cardio on the stair climber. 3-4x weekly i'm 20 minutes sessions at 130 BPM then regular resistance workout. Currently I can hold a 135 bpm heart rate at 60 stairs per minutes and hardly break a sweat

I've lost about 1.5-2 pant sizes and my abs are starting to show through. I initially lost about 10# but I've gained back 5 of it due to muscle growth. So I've really only lost about 5# but I'm also lifting almost where I was 10 years ago which is pushign the edge of normal weights into heavy weights.

Ran one of my 2 annual 1/2 marathons yesterday. Within 1 minute of last year’s time.

Helped that it was cold and I had just been on a cow elk hunt in NM last week so I had some altitude lung prep.

If you’re looking for alternatives to running, there is some good information from a cardiologist in the Valley to Peak podcast episodes 56 and 57.

One of the things he says is that long distances and sustained effort isn’t necessary for heart healthy benefits. And that HIIT training with weights may have as much or more benefit for heart health and weight loss as running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran one of my 2 annual 1/2 marathons yesterday. Within 1 minute of last year’s time.

Helped that it was cold and I had just been on a cow elk hunt in NM last week so I had some altitude lung prep.

If you’re looking for alternatives to running, there is some good information from a cardiologist in the Valley to Peak podcast episodes 56 and 57.

One of the things he says is that long distances and sustained effort isn’t necessary for heart healthy benefits. And that HIIT training with weights may have as much or more benefit for heart health and weight loss as running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whaaat?! Are you sure those two know what they’re talking about? 😉

Thanks for the mention (and listen), @sandhillhunter !