Ruger SFAR 308 as a backcountry rifle?

Loper

WKR
I recently came across Ruger’s new modern sporting rifle in 308. Ruger is calling it the SFAR (small framed autoloading rifle). From what I’ve read about it, it appears to be a lightweight AR-10 style rifle. However, rather than just making a bunch of cuts to reduce weight of a standard AR-10, they designed a new a AR-15/AR-10 hybrid that has a proprietary BCG that is about the size of at AR-15, but the mag well and barrel is for 308.

They make a 16” and 20” versions that weigh 6.8 lbs and 7.3 lbs respectively.

Has anyone considered this as a back country rifle? I know it isn’t considered ultralight or even lightweight by bolt action standards, but if one is carrying a bolt action and a sidearm in bear country, this may be a viable option to consolidate and reduce weight.

Additionally you gain a slight recoil reduction with an gas system and potentially quicker follow up shots if needed on game.

I’m not an expert on semi-auto or AR style rifles, so there may be other things to consider as to why this may or may not be a good option for a back country rifle.

Would love to hear thoughts on this as a viable option in the backcountry.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Moderator’s I realize I just posted this in the general discussion forum by mistake. Feel free to move to the Firearms section. Thanks!

I am NOT a Black Rifle crazy dude. I have ONE AR and a rainy day lower for future. I too just stumbled onto this rifle. Had one in my hands for 20 seconds on Saturday. I will go back tomorrow to purchase the rifle if it's still on the rack.

100%

It's LIGHT. Lots to like in this package.

Scottyboy

WKR
I am NOT a Black Rifle crazy dude. I have ONE AR and a rainy day lower for future. I too just stumbled onto this rifle. Had one in my hands for 20 seconds on Saturday. I will go back tomorrow to purchase the rifle if it's still on the rack.

100%

I’m right there with you and this looks like A LOT of gun for the money. I’m going to have my local store order one.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m in the middle of piecing together a 6mm ARC for a lightweight deer and antelope gun. Not sure I’d change my mind had I known about this but maybe LOL. It would be really cool if the platform takes off and people make barrels for it. Imagine being able to have a 7-08 in a 7 lbs AR? Or perhaps 338 Federal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Let me remind you that it is a Ruger. That means many will be shipped with defects.
I’ve had some reallly good Rugers, I’ve also had some that seemed like they were built on a Friday afternoon. I’ve seen enough to say that I would never buy a river without seeing the actual gun I was buying in person.

I will be getting one. When I can, I will then get a 338 Federal carbon barrel for it. This would be an awesome match for a mid to short range elk rifle.
Not sure about the instant return status of all these defective Ruger rifles but that is certainly something I've not experienced.

OP
L

Loper

WKR

100%

I’m not a big black rifle fan either, but when I initially heard about this rifle it picqued my interest.

Good to hear hands-on feedback about this. Which version did you handle, the 16” or 20”?

Have you gone back to the store? Was it still available? Did you buy it? If so, any additional thoughts on it?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I’m right there with you and this looks like A LOT of gun for the money. I’m going to have my local store order one.

Which barrel length are you going with?

Please provide feedback on this once you get it.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
It would be really cool if the platform takes off and people make barrels for it. Imagine being able to have a 7-08 in a 7 lbs AR? Or perhaps 338 Federal.

If it takes off, I imagine Ruger will start chambering for it in various cartridges, likely 6.5 CM after the 308.

I agree with you on the 7mm-08 and 338 Fed.

I would think an 18” 308 would be the sweet spot for this rifle, a little lighter and handier than the 20”, but not too short where it severely limits the cartridge’s range. Although a factory 16” lightweight AR with a can does sound interesting.

Will let you know today. Silver Thaw on my mountain. After putting the Subie in a ditch and sliding 50 yards on hands and knees......I stayed on the mountain yesterday. Made it into town/work with the Tacoma. I'll run over and grab it today, after a call making sure it's still there. Will comment tomorrow on the outcome.

Thoughts? Have many

I take a huge dump on all the "bear country" posts. Which handgun, which ammo, etc. I have a secondary home where they often dump trouble Grizz. Never seen one. But ramble off trail there regularly. More so I am concerned with the wolves, as I off leash my dogs in the forest.

I have a great and handy 16" 45-70. Carries well. Hits hard. Accuracte. But I've wanted to move to a simply 16" AR-15 for a woods rifle for quite a while. I sometimes predator call (not up there) and have several buddies who have called in cougar. It's a handy rifle for that application w a 3-15X.

But this SFAR has the potential to trump that rig in spades. I'll load a 150-155grain of which ever flavor it likes and grab a magazine and rock on. A LVPO in 1-6 or 1-8 with illumination will be tits. Even after a fire, I can't really see beyond 250 yards under the canopy.

Montana has no legal minimum caliber for big game. I hunt WA, ID and MT if I draw. THis gets me around the .24 caliber minimum for all game (bears and cats) in all the states.

I will research magazine size for HUNTING in all states. I am perfectly fine with a 10 round mag. I'd be fine with a 5 if that's what the state max is.

I JUST returned for a SC Texas hunting trip. The landowner lent me his AR for an evening. I didn't think much was special. But he had an Ambi safety ( I am lefty and these are huge upgrades for us). A Proof barrel. And Crimson Trace illum 1-6 or 1-8 I don't recall. As I looked over the build for an evening hunt, I really became pretty enamored by it. Super light. Handy.

I had 4 coyotes come out into the pasture at dusk. Past dusk really. 250 yards. I could have shot them all with the reticle illumintated. I gave them a pass.

Just really think the SFAR has a ton going for it in this type of arena. A Texas landowner is a special circumstance. They USE a real truck gun. Could be hogs out the window in the headlights, raccoons off a feeder after dark, filling their own tags, etc. A really solid gun for him.

Living on the 49th parallel with wolf tags, the real possibility of seeing a big cat to harvest on any outing, bears both black and Griz.....as long as it's reasonably accurate and goes BANG when it's supposed to....at 6.8 pounds....F Yes

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I will be getting one. When I can, I will then get a 338 Federal carbon barrel for it. This would be an awesome match for a mid to short range elk rifle.

Keep us posted if you get one. Would love to hear owners experience with it.

I like the idea of this in 338 Federal.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
POF Rogue is a full pound lighter for about $900 more. I have zero experience with either.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just as a heads up for those looking at large frame AR’s- they are not small frame guns. They are much, much more critical of form, follow through, body position, etc. for “accuracy”. Very few are actually legitimately precise rifles, and even high end ones will “throw” a shot 1-2 MOA away from the group if your form isn’t perfect.

Go into a 308/6.5/338fed/etc with an understanding that what you really are getting is an in demand 2.5-4 MOA rifle that is not, and will not be as reliable as a well assembled AR15.

I just skimmed a TFB review on this gun and he couldnt get 1 MOA with an assortment of different ammo. I think it was like 2-3 MOA on average

I shot mine for the first time over the weekend. I am still waiting on some MLok accessories, so my rest was rather jinky...but not 3 MOA jinky. But that's what I shot. Very unimpressed so far. But that's 12 rounds through it was some 155 Amax over W748 and some factory Tactitcal Bonded Federal 165s.

Brass of the factory Federal was tore up. Double ejector marks in the brass and the head was kinda trashed.

I'll get more serious when the earth isn't soaked and covered with 3" of slop from a heavy thaw.