Ruger Ranch Gen 2 6.5 Creedmoor Review

AZsniper

WKR
Got this gun at Sportsmans for $560 plus tax.

I have been waiting for these rifles to come out for a few months. I was looking for something compact and light for stalking black bears in Arizona. My 22in Browning with the Dead Air Ti attached feels like a civil war musket it is so long. This rifle has a 16in barrel and I knew I would lose a bit of velocity, but it is so light and compact it will be much easier to carry in remote and thick brush. I settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor because of ammo availability and the ability to go from 90gr to 156gr for different game. I put a vortex 4-16x50 hslr scope on it and headed to the desert to zero it in.

I decided to try 143gr ELDX first. My average velocity was 2449fps from 3 shots with my Magneto Speed chrono. The box says 2700fps but we all know you never get that unless you use a 26in barrel. My browning 22in 6.5 creed shoots the Hornady at 2570fps. So I only lost 120fps and I took 6in off the barrel. I added my Dead Air Nomad Ti Supressor, and I picked up 34fps, so I am getting 2483 fps with this new Ruger suppressed. I was very happy with that, I thought I would lose more velocity in a 16in barrel. This isn’t a gun for 600+ yard shots, but inside 400 yards it is plenty of velocity and it is so much easier to carry than a 22in rifle. It is lighter and shorter.

I shoot the Berger 156gr factory ammo in my browning and I get 2539fps. I only averaged 2239fps in the 16in Ruger Ranch. I lost 300fps in velocity going from 22in to 16in barrel. I think it will vary how much velocity you will lose in different weight ammo.

I was hoping the ELDX would shoot well in my rifle. You can use it on different game and it’s pretty cheap at $34 a box. Because it held so much velocity I decided to try and zero it in. Took me 4 shots to get to bullseye at 100yds. The 5th shot connected with the 4th shot to make a big hole, see photo. I was shooting prone with a bipod and bag. I let the rifle cool and took 2 shots at about .5 moa, prone with a bag(see photo). I was going to try some 130gr ammo to see velocity but the ELDX is .5 MOA and has such a high G1 I think I am just going to run with this. I think groups will tighten as barrel breaks in.

Very happy with my purchase. For less than $600 I got a .5 MOA gun that is light and easy to carry. I don’t even have to work up a hand load with it liking the ELDX and how cheap the Hornady is.

The stock is much stiffer than the gen 1. The barrel didn’t get hot until 8 shots and it is very balanced. For the money I don’t think you can beat it. I will probably buy another one for how cheap they are.

Just thought some people might want to know about the velocity in the shorter barrel. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4813.jpeg
    IMG_4813.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4814.jpeg
    IMG_4814.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4817.png
    IMG_4817.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I plan to pick up one of these when more cartridge options come out. I would maybe shoot a few larger count groups before saying its a .5 MOA gun though.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR
I plan to pick up one of these when more cartridge options come out. I would maybe shoot a few larger count groups before saying its a .5 MOA gun though.
Agreed on the .5 MOA, I haven’t even cleaned it yet and only 10 shots thru it. I will post an update when I shoot it cold bore at 100yds. I think I can tighten the groups. What caliber are you waiting for?

Agreed on the .5 MOA, I haven’t even cleaned it yet and only 10 shots thru it. I will post an update when I shoot it cold bore at 100yds. I think I can tighten the groups. What caliber are you waiting for?
6 ARC for the wife so I can restock her 6CM for me.