Ruger Hawkeye Controlled Round Feed

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
Just hoping to hear people’s thoughts and experiences regarding the Ruger Hawkeye CRF action and how it compares to a Model 70 or other CRF actions.

My experience with the two Rugers I have owned (one Hawkeye and one m77 mark ii) is that the controlled round feed only partially works. The claw does not fully grab the case while it’s being fed at times; at other times it does, though not very well. The model 70 CRF grabs a new cartridge much better.

Last edited:
Got a little more cleanup to do, but pillars and bedding went rather smoothly for my first crack at it.

Gonna function check it and send a bunch of 308s down the tube when I get it put back together, just to see what this barrel's real potential is after all these years.

I'll need to wallow out the barrel channel a bit more for a more standard sporter profile when the time comes.
1000006265.jpg

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Got a little more cleanup to do, but pillars and bedding went rather smoothly for my first crack at it.

Gonna function check it and send a bunch of 308s down the tube when I get it put back together, just to see what this barrel's real potential is after all these years.

I'll need to wallow out the barrel channel a bit more for a more standard sporter profile when the time comes.
View attachment 745589
That’s nice bedding work there! Having done several M77’s myself, they can be tricky to bed without accidentally ending up with the rear tang lifting ever so slightly up off the bedding when the front screw is torqued

That’s nice bedding work there! Having done several M77’s myself, they can be tricky to bed without accidentally ending up with the rear tang lifting ever so slightly up off the bedding when the front screw is torqued
Thanks, I appreciate it. Somehow posted this here, and not my thread on the subject!

I thought about that a bit too, and ended up doing a very low torque on the rings for final bedding. Did the rear screw till I could feel it snugging up, then very light torque on the front screw until I could just feel it touch and seat, checked barrel alignment, then lightly snugged the rear up to make sure it was pulled down into the tang.