Ruger American Mods

crich

WKR
Curious if anyone on here has tinkered with their RA and what have you guys done to it?

I have a Ruger American compact 18" 7mm08 that is a light little shooting machine. Looking to upgrade some things on it. Stock options are limited and there are some triggers available. Its intended use will be more towards ultralight hunts where I dont want to carry my 8 lbs 24" 7mm.

Spoonbill

WKR
Someone used to make an aics magazine conversion for the ruger american, I can’t seem to find it in stock anywhere. I think timney makes a trigger and a couple companies make a stock. Boyds makes a stock and magazine conversion but that would likely add weight.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine has one in .308, he got a hold of some clover fine lapping compound, applied it to the bolt & worked it back & forth a bit until the "zipper sound" went away.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I used an aluminum compound in the bolt with some Smith grit sandpaper paper then finished polishing with a drimmel. It's butter smooth. It's a shooter.
bdfcfd0935898c4f8c86f44c99aa5637.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Ruger American predator in 22-250, I decided to leave it alone, I’ve got enough tricked out rifles that sometimes it’s fun just to have something stock.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
A buddy of mine has one in .308, he got a hold of some clover fine lapping compound, applied it to the bolt & worked it back & forth a bit until the "zipper sound" went away.
I Know exactly what youre talking about and it drives me nuts!
Best modification is to replace it with a tikka.
Wife has a tikka and its a sweet outfit. This thing is so cheap and shoots so well I cant bring myself to get rid of it. $289 on sale from a lgs when they first came out.

Trigger is on the list for sure and polishing up the action. Most stocks available add quite a bit of weight.