Rosie season recap

Elkfever4

FNG
I just wrapped another season of rosie hunting. I have been doing this for about 7 years on elk , I used to do everything but elk, until my dad who almost exclusively hunts elk talked me in to going. I was hooked it’s rugged , its tough and if done right can weed out a lot of competition since I hunt public lands.

That first season I didn’t give enough respect to the animal I was pursuing. I thought it would be just like a blacktail. I was wrong and easily got busted the one and only opportunity I had that season. The first few seasons I had similar endings, trying to break bad habits. Usually only getting one opportunity a year. Then last year I shot my first bull solo. I had three interactions last year and thought it was a fluke or dumb luck. The bull I shot sadly was never recovered. We spent a solid week looking for him in the dense rain forest. Even this season I still went to the same spot and combed the ridge several times looking for a possible clue that possibly might still remain.

Fast forward to this year I called in 9 bulls, got one to come at me just by charging in on him in the thick stuff. Of all the bulls I never got a shot off. I even had one bull at 15 feet, not yards. It was thick with huckleberry and wind didn’t give much wiggle room. He pushed downwind faster then I could move through the tangle of brush over my head . I wrapped up my last day with two bulls that were being shy and not wanting to play. One lingered but was not really excited , the other was just as shy. Neither had cows , I’m assuming the herd bull gave them a spanking the night before.

Rosie hunting is tough physically, but mentally it’s soul crushing mostly. The long drive home on the last night of season I think about all the should’ve could’ves. I say I’m done doing this and gonna chase the Rockies next year or just give up all together. Thinking maybe a rosie just isnt in the cards for me. But the day after season ends I’m already looking at maps again and planning my strategies for the next year.

I don’t know if it was good luck that I called in so many bulls, or bad luck that I got so many to come in and never got an arrow off. Maybe I will give up the shooting part and just start guiding haha. Hopefully this will motivate someone to keep pushing and not give up.

Rogue Bay

WKR
In the end, it’s the suffering and the torment that bring us back and motivates us to try even harder. Sounds like a successful season to me. Keep at it and it will all come together!

OP
E

Elkfever4

FNG
Well said , I ended up nicknaming a ridge heartbreak ridge . It’s one of those places I can rustle up a bull , but based off the ridge nickname you guess how that plays out once he is in .

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd have to go back and look for it, but someone on here once told me he figures it takes 10 heart pounding encounters before one lines up well enough to let an arrow go.... i find it was good advice , anything less than that and im considering it good luck! Sounds like a great season and your probably learning a whole bunch with all of those encounters.