Rope!!!

Tex68w

WKR
We are going on our first Elk hunt this November, 3rd Rifle in CO. I have been learning as much as I can from YT, reading on the forums and picking the brains of those who have done it before me. One area where I feel like I am uncertain of what I should have on me is in regards to rope for the harvest and haul. What kind of rope should I have, what size and length and should I have a variation of carabiners as well?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, opinions, etc.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
are you talking to hang or haul a whole animal?

My recco is to quarter elk. 550/para cord to hang meat bags is all you need

Mostly to hang meat but also wondering if we should have rope for hauling up and over small cliff or bluff should we have a kill down in a ridge or creek bottom. I just want to be prepared for all possibilities should they arise.

I will definitely have paracord in the pack, I'll add a few of those small pinch pulleys as well as suggested by @wytx.

99.9999% of the time it’ll be easier to cut it up where it is or pivot it within a couple feet if possible. 550 is plenty strong enough to tie off to a tree to keep it from rolling down a steep hill too.

I always keep 6 x 10ft pieces of 550 cord in a sack with my 10x10 or 7x10 aquaquest tarp as basic survival/primary shelter gear and that’s all you’ll ever need. If you need 50+ ft of rope for some strange reason just tie them all end to end with square knots. I occasionally end up cutting some pieces down further (for staking corners,etc) then replace them in the kit when I get home.

I routinely use items out of my “survival kit” to avoid carrying too much redundancy and also as a check on its status.

Dennis

WKR
My system for years has been five section of parachute cord about 6’ long. I quarter the elk four quarters then hang the meat in a cool shady area. The fifth piece of rope is to hang a meat bag (back straps, tenderloin, neck and rib meat). Using the gutless method there. Isn’t much need to move the entire elk anywhere. Good luck

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Paracord is the cheap option you will not care about cutting up if needed. 4 mm dyneema core with polyester mantel cord is good too. The dyneema will not stretch, which makes for more efficiency, but dyneema is slick and does not hold knots well, the polyester mantel corrects that.

Something like this, though there are other options: https://www.westmarine.com/new-england-ropes-3.8mm-spyderline-micro-dyneema-braid-purple-7890247.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=[ADL][PLA] Sales & Promotions&utm_content=autoag0000x21111724499x7890247&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4f6zBhBVEiwATEHFVk6p8APvgbVBpDuNOnGNlYRj95y9iiWhM0wa4u4O0ibBa3f6mF4FqBoC1U4QAvD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
I've got plenty of 550. I'll carry that. I ordered some of those Wiser 550 Pynch Pulleys as well should we need to block and tackle something. Thanks for all of the replies fellas, much appreciated.

Poser

WKR
Those Wiser Precision pulleys are awesome. I have 6 of them for making gear ratios (I hand my meat for real as I've lost low hanging meat to a bear before). That being said, paracord sucks: it stretches and isn't very durable at all. I use Ironwire cord which is a blend of High Tenacity Polyester and Dyneema SK75. The 2mm cord has a test strength of 650 lbs and the 5mm is 1500 lbs! Ya'll need to stop playing with cotton toys.

If you’re worried about bears and your meat, you will be packing some serious hardware in to try and keep it safe. They will figure most systems out in a flash. I came to the realization that I just get it off the ground if it’s evening, and if they get it, so be it part of the game.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you’re worried about bears and your meat, you will be packing some serious hardware in to try and keep it safe. They will figure most systems out in a flash. I came to the realization that I just get it off the ground if it’s evening, and if they get it, so be it part of the game.
I’ve never worried about bears in Colorado. I’ve yet to have them be on meat the following day, and bears are going for guts first anyway.

I did have a damn coyote eat the sirloin roast off a hind quarter a few years back. Bastard.

I had a nice bear get on a cow within an hour after killing. He was on the carcass before I even started working on it. The good thing is, that bear is no longer a problem.