Roosevelt Elk

Maxhunter

WKR
I booked myself a Roosevelt hunt for 2026. I’ve killed lots of elk in my 63 years young mainly with my bow. I grew up in Western Oregon but my dad never hunted Roosevelt we always hunted the eastern portion of the state. I went in the military in the early 80’s and served for 25 years. I live in Wyoming so I get to hunt elk every year. Who’s archery hunted them and what was your shot distances. I suspect with the brush it’s not to long of range shots. Also did you call or do silent stalking? Please post up pictures.

Elkangle

WKR
Where did you book ?? Shot distances from 5 yards to 70.. I used to love setting up for sub 10 yard shots. You can really use that thick cover to your advantage but sub 30 yards it's only a matter of time before they know somthing is up so make your moves ! Don't be afraid to walk around even when that bull is sub 50

OP
Maxhunter

Maxhunter

WKR
Where did you book ?? Shot distances from 5 yards to 70.. I used to love setting up for sub 10 yard shots. You can really use that thick cover to your advantage but sub 30 yards it's only a matter of time before they know somthing is up so make your moves ! Don't be afraid to walk around even when that bull is sub 50
Near Florence Oregon

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I've called in 4 here in Cali. All but one bugled.

I've killed dozens of bulls in Co, eastern OR, and Idaho. The Rosie's are just monsters. Huge.

We get to hunt them here with a rifle in Sept. So shot distances can vary. All have been around 75 yards or less.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
Industrial timber lands can lend to longer open clear cut shots, or really thick re-prod in your face shots. If you call or are hunting with a caller it can get real tight. Its also so thick that you most times can hear elk moving through brush/timber and that leads me to not even like calling most of the time just slipping in and eventually cutting bulls/herds off.
I have called and slipped in on bulls. I prefer silent seems to work out better for me personally, but I have buddies who only call and they fill the freezer every year. Its a lot of fun and I have hunted east side bulls in Oregon and would hunt OTC Rosies over that anyday of the week, but we are all partial to what we grew up around.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
Maxhunter

Maxhunter

WKR
Yep most of the elk I’ve shot have been taken without calling and just sneaking in while they’re vocal. I think it‘ll be a blast hunting a different species of elk.

IDVortex

WKR
Grew up in Oregon, never wanted to hunt Rosies. Only reason was due to rain and the thick forests. But now have a desire to do it. Especially since all of EO is draw for archery. Good luck, shots can range from uo and personal or still at 100 yards. All depends on the area.