Rolled Ankles

So last Sat I rolled my left ankle pretty bad, 1st time hiking in my Lowa Cevedales. I had on my Stone Glacier with a 50lb pack of sand and some of my misc gear. I originally thought it was good and finished my hike back down the mountain, went home and dropped my foot in a bucket of ice water and since ice it 2 or so times a day. I have had some cheap braces on it off and on since. At times it feels pretty good, never bothered me to put weight on it. Just feels rather sketchy I guess for lack of better term. I have a Branch bull tag here in Wa for a back country unit and am hoping to get my ankle in the best shape possible. Any recommendations???

I don't know the Cevedale specifically but consider a boot with a higher top, lower heel height and a sole that is wider at the heel. High, narrow heels will increased instability side to side. Higher boot height will offer more stability if laced snugly.

Get one of the lace-up ankle braces and start pushing it a little when you can as an ankle can stiffen up on you if you baby it too much. I'm not saying throw on a 50lb bag, but walking and jogging in a brace as tolerable after a week or so is usually good. I had foot surgery a little over a year ago and know exactly what you mean with ankle weakness and unfortunately there is no magic solution to ankle strength. The two best things that they had me doing for rehab is single legged squats with the other leg both out in front and behind with ropes for helping to stabilize and rocker boards (or just squishy foam, something like a sofa cushion) single leg balance while throwing and catching a medicine ball. As far as relevant hunting exercises, I would look for trails with boulder field crossings as I find those the hardest on my ankle especially with a pack on, so as you get better and want to push it more I would give that a shot.

Edit: Another useful thing that I did was to go to a park that has a fairly steep grass slope (30 deg or so) and jog back and forth parallel to the hill to try to build lateral ankle strength.

Last edited:

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Crispi Nevadas laced tight after a broken foot. The break had mostly filled in but all the tendons etc near the ankle were still very much effed up during a trip to the scapegoat. Hiking sticks and especially the boots got me through but it sucked. Had a couple braces along but they seemed to make things worse. Ended up with just an ace type ankle elastic and the boot. I distinctly remember hearing "elk moving run over here to try get a shot" and my reply "I am running!" This just might be my story "ad naseum" at the nursing home.

Last edited:
OP
Mxracer532
Well the Cevedales being a treking boot are high with lots of ankle support BUT I do think they are quit narrow in the heal area. (I have narrow feet) I think I would be in a world of hurt if I didnt have a stiff boot on. Im just hoping it heals fast. Its almost a week out and i am going to wait atleast 3 more days before hitting the trail again with the pack on.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...6.4413887.4414020.22937756&categoryId=4414366

^^^ This is what I have worn to recover from many foot and ankle injuries. I avoid the ones with plastic or metal splints as I think they are very uncomfortable. This is simply thicker nylon to provide support while it heals allowing you to continue to train. If you have ever had your ankle taped it provides very similar support but this allows you to do it yourself. I played football, climbed 14ers and hunted elk all with a torn Lisfranc ligament for almost a year before surgery wearing one of these.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I was younger (like 30+ years ago) and playing basketball 6 days a week, DMSO was great for quicker recoveries if used immediately. Beyond that, taping the ankle is the best for stability. I tried an inferior set of boots one year (cough....danner pronghorns....cough cough), and rolled an ankle pretty well. Only time I've ever had to tape an ankle for hunting. IMO taping works better because the braces always seem to put pressure somewhere that goes beyond hot spots and more like bone bruising.

bccrover

FNG
I agree with COlineman.
I have put off surgery to fix it until after hunting season. Not a single injury but many over the years. I've got a good sports medicine surgeon who was understanding. I told him I need to get through the season and he went and got a lace up brace with the Velcro side straps that is a lot like the one above. It really helps!
Don't forget to keep working on non-weight bearing range of motion.
Journal of Mountain Hunting had a great article on "Bulletproofing your feet" by Adam Janke that really helped with range of motion stuff.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the Malleo ankle braces in the Kenetrek catalog. Bad ankles here and never know when a roll is coming...provide good support and as comfortable as a brace can be...tape is great just trying to do it right is difficult.

Well the Cevedales being a treking boot are high with lots of ankle support BUT I do think they are quit narrow in the heal area. (I have narrow feet) I think I would be in a world of hurt if I didnt have a stiff boot on. Im just hoping it heals fast. Its almost a week out and i am going to wait atleast 3 more days before hitting the trail again with the pack on.

Possibly consider a higher boot. Transfers force further up your shin. 8 inches high or more and fairly stiff. Think ski boot vs high top shoe.
and use a lacing technique that give intermediate tensioning, if the boot allows.

As far as heel width goes, I have a strong preference for something with a substantial amount of width in the sole of the heel where it touches the ground. for example I have a set of Asolo GTX Fugitives that I like, except they have a heel sole that is 3-3.25 inches max. My Danner midweight hikers are a full 3.75 inches. It doesn't seem like much but the extra width stabilizes on both flat and uneven terrain. I used Asics when I ran for the same reason. Some of my favorites boots are Lowa Renegade, Merrill Sawtooths, Various Danners, etc. They are perhaps not the best overall boot but for me, for lateral stability, it works.

Somebody above mentioned walking sticks or trekking poles. I am on the wrong side of 40 and a big fan of these. One or two are great for picking your way through uneven terrain. A tripod or rifle butt (be safe!!!) are good alternatives but not great. I have had a pair of Leki trekking poles for years that I like a lot but they have a spring for shock abortion that is loud. Once you have some meat in your bag and don't care about the noise they are the bees knees. I may swap them out for for another design but love having them in my kit. Bonus is they can double as a single shooting stick or crossed as an improvised bipod too.

Robbie

FNG
I rolled my ankle during a canoe race the last weekend in April with an 80 lb canoe on my shoulders during a portage. Out of work for a week. Been in PT for a couple months. Another two weeks and I should be cleared to start running/jogging again. I wouldn't look for answers on the internet. All the best.

Check out the Malleo ankle braces in the Kenetrek catalog. Bad ankles here and never know when a roll is coming...provide good support and as comfortable as a brace can be...tape is great just trying to do it right is difficult.

X2.... You can also find them on Amazon. These work very well and don't take up the boot space that a lace up brace uses.

Gar

FNG
Keep icing it. Eat a really clean well balanced diet. No alcohol. This will speed recovery. If you are part of a good Christian church, have them pray for you. And whatever you do, NO cortisone shots, that will almost always cause long term permanent damage that may eventually require surgery.

Also, I highly recommend Trigger Point therapy. I’ve had days when all of a sudden an angle just starts to hurt; I either moved it wrong, got irritated from previous days workout, something, and every time I use the Trigger Point therapy kit, the pain is gone that same day, often as soon as I am done with one 15 minute session.

I purchased the kit with the quad roller and the ball, but honestly only really use the footballer and foam baller block. Follow the instructional DVD and let me know if this does not get ya back in the game soon.

And no, I do not have any financial interest in this product. I keep up on fitness related studies and attend fitness related training seminars. I regularly train other guys in my back yard gym, and occasionally train guys desiring to become police officers, or join the military and pass SOF Selection.

Here is a link to the kit I think would work for you:
https://www.tptherapy.com/product/StarterSet

I think it’s also available on Amazon as well.

Pray ya feel better soon!

Gar

OP
Mxracer532
Well i got an brace called Active Ankle that is highly reccomended for Basketball and volleyball players. So far i got it setup inside my Lowas and it seems as tho its going to help atleast till my ankle is better. If not it will be on during my bunt as long as i dont get hotspots or blisters from using it. I am also on the lookout for a set of trekking poles.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend stiff boots and trekking poles. I have 6 screws, two pins and a rod in my left ankle, and 4 screws and two pins after 6 surgeries on my right knee. The stiff boots with 8 inch ankles have given me more stability (translates to less side to side movement) and I can go much longer into the hunt than I could with standard quality hunting/hiking boots. The boots I have used the past three seasons has been Lowa Sheep Hunters, and I have been able to backpack hunt 10-12 miles in for a week with the stiff boots and poles, otherwise, I would be done in a day or two. Pre-load with NSAI of choice.

Good luck on the hunt.

ElkNut1

WKR
That's exactly why I do not hunt in 8" boots, actually the Clevedales are an exonerated tennis shoe. Grab a pair of 10"--11" quality boots & your feet & ankles will thank you for them when especially sidehilling with serious weight on wet or dry ground! You now have a weak ankle & are in need of superior support, take it from a guy who broke his ankle & now have the need for a 10" minimum high quality boot!

Those tennis shoe type elk hunting shoes are for guys with no injuries & under 50! (grin) Heck anyone can hunt with lesser support if young & no heavy loads!

ElkNut1

ElkNut1