Roll up Footprint with Tent or Separately?

RC_

FNG
Complete beginner when it comes to backpacking but have been acquiring the necessary equipment and planning to gain some experience to expand my hunting opportunities in the future.

I plan on starting out using a footprint and one question I've had that I haven't been able to find an answer to is whether there is any reason to not just roll up the footprint along with the tent or if better to keep separate? Would seem easiest and most streamlined to just roll together with footprint on the outside and store in one bag, no?

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I like keeping the footprint separate from the tent so it can be repurposed for other things - tarp shelter to get out of the rain / wind, put meat on when quartering animals, etc.

Reactions: RC_

TaperPin

WKR
I stuff it in the same bag as the tent, but the tent goes in first then the ground cloth gets folded on itself then stuffed in.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I stuff it in the same bag as the tent, but the tent goes in first then the ground cloth gets folded on itself then stuffed in.
This is how I do it also. I like having them separate not just in case the footprint is dirty/wet but then when setting up I can lay the footprint out first to make sure my tent is going to fit in tighter areas.

Without knowing what tent you are using there is no issue with rolling the footprint up with the tent and putting it in the same bag. Actually, that should work no matter what tent you’re using.

I have found that for any good quality freestanding tent (I use a MSR hubbahubba 2) I actually don’t need the footprint. The floor that the tent has already is plenty waterproof, and not bringing the footprint is one less piece of gear to keep accountability of and 6ish less ounces. However, it took me many years to get that comfortable with my gear to leave it at home.