RokStok

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Thanks for sharing this. You are not the only one to experience this issue and I suspect there are others who haven’t discovered it yet. I’ve been back and forth with both UM and Stockys. Neither company seems to want to acknowledge this is a problem.

My Rokstok Configuration: Tikka inlet, bare carbon, no scallop, heavy barrel contour, MT recoil lug installed.

Here are the measurements from my Rokstok and action. A digital depth gauge was used and all measurements are in inches:

-MT Recoil Lug Protrusion (measured): 0.103

-MT Recoil Lug Height: 0.641

-Rokstok Lug Inletting Depth: 0.541

-Lug Channel Depth in Tikka Action: 0.092

-Factory stock/lug protrusion: 0.088

-Factory lug height: 0.630

It should be quite obvious that the numbers do not add up. The lug protrusion on the Rokstok is too tall, causing the action to float above the stock’s bedding block by a hundredth. This will almost certainly cause stress on the action and lead to accuracy problems/POI shift.

To double-check, I installed the action and torqued down both action screws to 45 in-lbs. A thin feeler gauge was used to confirm the action was only contacting the stock around the rear tang.

Here is a metal feeler gauge being inserted between the stock and action until it contacted the front action screw:

View attachment 743466

In addition, I coated the bottom of the action in a thin layer of grease to check the “impression” against the stock’s bedding block. Again, only making contact at the recoil lug and rear tang.

Also note that the gap between the stock and action is small enough that you would not be able to detect this through visual inspection alone, nonetheless it is there.

I contacted UM with my findings and received the following reply:
View attachment 743468

Not being satisfied with this answer, I contacted Stocky’s and exchanged multiple emails. The first is the recoil lug protrusion maximum per Stockys:
View attachment 743470

The stock ended up going back to them for inspection and then returned to me. Here are their findings:

View attachment 743471

Not exactly the answer I was expecting. I rechecked everything with a different depth gauge and came up within a couple thousandths of my original measurements.

So now what?

In my case, I will probably just end up epoxy bedding the stock, since I also had functional issues with the bottom inletting on the Rokstok that I received.

As @Wyo_hntr did, the MT recoil lug could be replaced with a factory lug. However, since the Rokstok is inletted for the MT oversized lug, the fit is pretty sloppy and it should probably be epoxied in place.

The MT recoil lug could also be milled down for proper fit as @Overwire did in this post:

TL;DR:
There appears to a manufacturing issue on some Rokstoks where the recoil lug protrudes too much, potentially creating accuracy issues.

TL;DR # 2:
If you are ordering this stock with the expectation of a perfect drop-in installation, you may want to temper your expectations.

Hope this post is at least informative for anyone who may be having issues.

I did not measure anything, just eyeballed. So I can't say for sure it was not user error on my end. I can say that the factory recoil lug was a very tight fit with zero movement and had to be pressed into place with substantial force into the rokstok lug recess.

I also torqued my action screws to 65 inch lbs.

Last edited:

Greenstig

FNG
I did not measure anything, just eyeballed. So I can't say for sure it was not user error on my end. I can say that the factory recoil lug was a very tight fit with zero movement and had to be pressed into place with substantial force.
Interesting. The Tikka factory lug in my Rokstok will fall out if turned upside down.

lintond

WKR
PVA does have a contour spec sheet for about half of their offered contours on their website. They specify a shank diameter of 1.165" for shouldered Tikka prefits and 1.00" for barrel-nut Tikka prefits.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-contours/

I emailed PVA about this and they confirmed the 1.160” on a tikka prefit.

Ben was great to deal with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered 12/21 Railed Tikka Sendro with spacers. Had to open up the barrel channel as expected and the recoil lug took some caressing but overall easy install. Will wait for the paint pen to dry and hopefully get it sighted in and then go blast some goats on Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpeg
    IMG_1969.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1967.jpeg
    IMG_1967.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 200

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Thanks for sharing this. You are not the only one to experience this issue and I suspect there are others who haven’t discovered it yet. ...

TL;DR:
There appears to a manufacturing issue on some Rokstoks where the recoil lug protrudes too much, creating the potential accuracy issues.

TL;DR # 2:
If you are ordering this stock with the expectation of a perfect drop-in installation, you may want to temper your expectations.

Hope this post is at least informative for anyone who may be chasing issues.

Mine arrived yesterday. I only had a short time to look it over but the recoil lug was the first thing I noticed. Protrusion was extreme. I attempted to push it in a bit, nothing moved. Pushed HARD, nothing moved, or if it did it wasn't much. Attempted to pull it with tape covered pliers, nothing moved. Didn't have anymore time to spend on it. I'll pull out the vice grips tonight/this weekend when I have more time to see if I can remove it.IMG_20240802_064218783.jpg

Brazo264

FNG
Thanks for sharing this. You are not the only one to experience this issue and I suspect there are others who haven’t discovered it yet. I’ve been back and forth with both UM and Stockys. Neither company seems to want to acknowledge this is a problem.

My Rokstok Configuration: Tikka inlet, bare carbon, no scallop, heavy barrel contour, MT recoil lug installed.

Here are the measurements from my Rokstok and action. A digital depth gauge was used and all measurements are in inches:

-Rokstok Recoil Lug Protrusion (measured): 0.103

-MT Recoil Lug Height: 0.641

-Rokstok Lug Inletting Depth: 0.541

-Lug Channel Depth in Tikka Action: 0.092

-Factory stock/lug protrusion: 0.088

-Factory lug height: 0.630

It should be quite obvious that the numbers do not add up. The lug protrusion on the Rokstok is slightly too tall, thus causing the action to float above the stock’s bedding block by a hundredth. This will almost certainly cause stress on the action and lead to accuracy problems/POI shift.

To double-check, I installed the action and torqued down both action screws to 45 in-lbs. A thin feeler gauge was used to confirm the action was only contacting the stock around the rear tang.

Here is a metal feeler gauge being inserted between the stock and action until it contacted the front action screw’s boss.

View attachment 743466

In addition, I coated the bottom of the action in a thin layer of grease to check the “impression” against the stock’s bedding block. Less precise, but again, only making good contact on top of the recoil lug and rear tang.

Also note that the gap between the stock and action is small enough that you would not be able to detect this through visual inspection alone, nonetheless it is there.

I contacted UM with my findings and received the following reply:
View attachment 743468

Not being satisfied with this answer, I contacted Stocky’s and exchanged multiple emails. The first is the recoil lug protrusion maximum per Stockys:
View attachment 743470

The stock ended up going back to them for inspection and then returned to me. Here are their findings:

View attachment 743471

Not exactly the answer I was expecting. I rechecked everything with a different depth gauge and came up within a couple thousandths of my original measurements.

So now what?

In my case, I will probably just end up epoxy skim bedding the stock, since I also had functional issues with the bottom inletting on the Rokstok that I received.

As @Wyo_hntr did, the MT recoil lug could be replaced with a shorter Tikka factory lug. However, since the Rokstok is inletted for the MT oversized lug, the fit is pretty sloppy and it should probably be epoxied in place.

The MT recoil lug could also be milled down for proper fit as @Overwire did in this post:

TL;DR:
There appears to a manufacturing issue on some Rokstoks where the recoil lug protrudes too much, creating the potential accuracy issues.

TL;DR # 2:

Hope this post is at least informative for anyone who may be chasing issues.
@Unknown Munitions - Can you kindly weigh in on this? This is pretty disappointing to me along with several recent posts mentioning the same thing. I would like to order a stock and assume it is a perfect drop in fit to a factory Tikka with the new lug that comes with the stock and no fiddling. Can this be checked/added to the inspection process on your end before stocks go out the door, or correct with @Stockys Thank you

slowelk

WKR
@Unknown Munitions - Can you kindly weigh in on this? This is pretty disappointing to me along with several recent posts mentioning the same thing. I would like to order a stock and assume it is a perfect drop in fit to a factory Tikka with the new lug that comes with the stock and no fiddling. Can this be checked/added to the inspection process on your end before stocks go out the door, or correct with @Stockys Thank you

I second this. This seems like an easy QA step to take at UM before sending to customers.

Reactions: NSI

Greenstig

FNG
Mine arrived yesterday. I only had a short time to look it over but the recoil lug was the first thing I noticed. Protrusion was extreme. I attempted to push it in a bit, nothing moved. Pushed HARD, nothing moved, or if it did it wasn't much. Attempted to pull it with tape covered pliers, nothing moved. Didn't have anymore time to spend on it. I'll pull out the vice grips tonight/this weekend when I have more time to see if I can remove it.View attachment 744429
This lug appears to not be fully seated. Starting with the lug this far out during assembly is a good thing. When you torque your action down, it should push the lug down into the channel for a perfect interface with your action, IF the lug isn’t too proud when fully seated like mine is.

This appears to be a nitrided lug. I wonder if Stockys recently switched from MT to UM lugs? Mine is raw stainless with Mountain Tactical branding on top.

If you end up pulling it out first, I’d be VERY interested to know the height measurement of the lug if you have access to a caliper.

Lawnboi

WKR
A nice wood stock with an aluminum mini chassis in it would be awesome.

Also curious has the inlet material changed? Before it looked like a different darker color material around the action now it all appears to be the same fill?

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
A nice wood stock with an aluminum mini chassis in it would be awesome.

Also curious has the inlet material changed? Before it looked like a different darker color material around the action now it all appears to be the same fill?
Curious about this, you have any pictures by chance?