RokStok

It just results in a little ridge where the barrel shank is larger than the face of the action. Basically the only downsides are the aesthetics, a little extra weight, and possible contact with an inlet set for a factory Tikka shank.
My McGowen #3 contour does this, and it made contact in my stock that was inletted for a standard T3x lite. A little sandpaper and she's good.

Okie_Poke

FNG
I have a question about the R700 version. When you select that model, one of the options is "factory 700 action" vs "aftermarket 700 action." What is that changing about the inlet? If I was picking one for a Bergara B14, which would I choose?

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question about the R700 version. When you select that model, one of the options is "factory 700 action" vs "aftermarket 700 action." What is that changing about the inlet? If I was picking one for a Bergara B14, which would I choose?

You would pick aftermarket. Anything other than a from the Remington factory action will be considered aftermarket, from my emails with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called unknown to follow up an email I had sent sales last week to change mine from bare carbon to cerakote per Jake's recommendation on this thread. Jessica got it all sorted out! I also got a call back from her stating my stock was in the shop just waiting on the spacers to be installed (ordered 12/22 pic rail) and that it should be sent out next week. Awesome customer service

Antares

WKR
Called unknown to follow up an email I had sent sales last week to change mine from bare carbon to cerakote per Jake's recommendation on this thread. Jessica got it all sorted out! I also got a call back from her stating my stock was in the shop just waiting on the spacers to be installed (ordered 12/22 pic rail) and that it should be sent out next week. Awesome customer service

I must've missed Jake's recommendation, but I was wondering about this myself. I have a bare carbon ordered (w/ spacers). If I switch to a single cerakote color does that speed up the process (I'm going to rattle can it anyway)?

Reactions: NSI
I must've missed Jake's recommendation, but I was wondering about this myself. I have a bare carbon ordered (w/ spacers). If I switch to a single cerakote color does that speed up the process (I'm going to rattle can it anyway)?
Yes I believe it’s post 5,644 on this thread. I do believe they mentioned it in the video they put out as well. I was going to rattle can mine as well to save a few pennies, but with this option it will look professional. And honestly the stock is long paid for by this point so spending more on cerakote to avoid a reject wouldn’t bother me either.

slowelk

WKR

I spoke with UM yesterday, and after Jake's visit to Stocky's the cosmetic issues have been largely resolved, and stocks are arriving without cosmetic issues that cerakote would be able to cover up. Because of this, cerakote isn't going to speed things up.

eric1115

WKR
First post- long time creeper, thank you to all who contribute to this forum across many topics.

RokStok came in today, shipped Friday.
10%er, railed Tikka, single color, early 12/22 order date.

Ha! What an awesome first post!

"Hey I'm new but I Rok harder than you chumps with 2000 posts whining about how you don't have your Rokstuff yet."

I love it, welcome to the forum! And yes I'm one of those chumps who fiddle-farted around getting my order in, gonna be a while till I see mine.

I spoke with UM yesterday, and after Jake's visit to Stocky's the cosmetic issues have been largely resolved, and stocks are arriving without cosmetic issues that cerakote would be able to cover up. Because of this, cerakote isn't going to speed things up.
That was the impression I got from Jessica as well, so I was very appreciative that they still added in the cerakote.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Those thin limbsavers do a heroic job for their size. Anybody know the code? And whether they fit on a stock plastic tikka stock?

-J
10818 is the code. I found this deep in the bowels of the Limbsaver website, measurements should help you figure out if it will fit Tikka stock too but prob have to scale to check the hole spacing and size.

I used this to make my own spacers a few months ago, worked out good size wise on rokstok FYI (within <1/16th overall anyways on the long dimension, less on short)

1722388957760.png

Axlrod

WKR
10818 is the code. I found this deep in the bowels of the Limbsaver website, measurements should help you figure out if it will fit Tikka stock too but prob have to scale to check the hole spacing and size.

I used this to make my own spacers a few months ago, worked out good size wise on rokstok FYI (within <1/16th overall anyways on the long dimension, less on short)

View attachment 743448
Here is a list of the different ones that fit Tikkas. You have to click once on the "make" column to get to the Tikkas.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI

Greenstig

FNG
Ok for some context on my rokstok journey. I got it today, so I did what any responsible person would do, I went and shot it.

View attachment 743077

The above group is what I got after adjusting my zero. Note, I did not make any adjustments to the windage. This is not the usual for this rifle....this is.....
View attachment 743078
I knew something was wrong. I took it out of the stock and remounted it. Again I was getting weird flyers. So I took it out again and examined the inlet. Everything looked fine, but in comparing my old stockys vg to the rokstok it looked as if the recoil lug was higher on the rokstok (which came with a nice mountain tactical). So I swapped the MT lug for a factory tikka and went back to the range....

View attachment 743084
And proceeded to shoot this 10rd group with factory 6 creed 108eldm. I don't know if swapping lugs had anything to do with the issue or maybe I just actually got it seated properly. But I'm pretty happy now. I blame @Formidilosus because if my rifle isn't zeroed, i cant sleep well at night. The grip and trigger reach are the best features so far with the rokstok.
View attachment 743085
Thanks for sharing this. You are not the only one to experience this issue and I suspect there are others who haven’t discovered it yet. I’ve been back and forth with both UM and Stockys. Neither company seems to want to acknowledge this is a problem.

My Rokstok Configuration: Tikka inlet, bare carbon, no scallop, heavy barrel contour, MT recoil lug installed.

Here are the measurements from my Rokstok and action. A digital depth gauge was used and all measurements are in inches:

-Rokstok Recoil Lug Protrusion (measured): 0.103

-MT Recoil Lug Height: 0.641

-Rokstok Lug Inletting Depth: 0.541

-Lug Channel Depth in Tikka Action: 0.092

-Factory stock/lug protrusion: 0.088

-Factory lug height: 0.630

It should be quite obvious that the numbers do not add up. The lug protrusion on the Rokstok is slightly too tall, thus causing the action to float above the stock’s bedding block by a hundredth. This will almost certainly cause stress on the action and lead to accuracy problems/POI shift.

To double-check, I installed the action and torqued down both action screws to 45 in-lbs. A thin feeler gauge was used to confirm the action was only contacting the stock around the rear tang.

Here is a metal feeler gauge being inserted between the stock and action until it contacted the front action screw’s boss.

IMG_1426.jpeg

In addition, I coated the bottom of the action in a thin layer of grease to check the “impression” against the stock’s bedding block. Less precise, but again, only making good contact on top of the recoil lug and rear tang.

Also note that the gap between the stock and action is small enough that you would not be able to detect this through visual inspection alone, nonetheless it is there.

I contacted UM with my findings and received the following reply:
IMG_1428.jpeg

Not being satisfied with this answer, I contacted Stocky’s and exchanged multiple emails. The first is the recoil lug protrusion maximum per Stockys:
IMG_1430.jpeg

The stock ended up going back to them for inspection and then returned to me. Here are their findings:

IMG_1431.jpeg

Not exactly the answer I was expecting. I rechecked everything with a different depth gauge and came up within a couple thousandths of my original measurements.

So now what?

In my case, I will probably just end up epoxy skim bedding the stock, since I also had functional issues with the bottom inletting on the Rokstok that I received.

As @Wyo_hntr did, the MT recoil lug could be replaced with a shorter Tikka factory lug. However, since the Rokstok is inletted for the MT oversized lug, the fit is pretty sloppy and it should probably be epoxied in place.

The MT recoil lug could also be milled down for proper fit as @Overwire did in this post:

The recoil lug on both my stocks was proud .102” into the action inlet. The recoil lug slot on my T3 action is .095” so the recoil lug would have prevented the action from fully seating on the inlet. I emailed unknown and they confirmed the lug should protrude .095”. Good excuse to fire up the bridgeport. I milled .008” off the lug. Not sure if it would have made any difference but I want the clamping stress distributed across as much surface area on the action as possible, not concentrated at the lug.

View attachment 715176

Action inletting seems very good but I of course can’t really tell how well the bottom of the action is contacting the inlet other than what is visible.

The heal is cut at a slight angle that is opposite from a factory stock. The RokStok angle gives a bit better fit to the shoulder when prone but theoretically could increase muzzle rise compared to a perpendicular angle or the factory angle. I don’t think it really matters in practice as the soft pad, muscle, clothing and shoulder shape prevent a truly perpendicular reaction force but just something I noticed. This would be minor compared to butt pad height anyway.

View attachment 715185

View attachment 715186
The butt pad is pretty decent for 1/2” but its too bad they don’t use a standard profile so a 1” airtech could be fitted. I’ll figure something out as I could use a little more LOP anyway. I’m also going to figure out an ARCA/Spartan rail. I modeled one up and quoted it but cost is a bit too much. I’ll probably make a Spartan insert to key into the SRS ARCA rail.

I’ll give some use impressions once I shoot it. I plan to compare my 9lb 6.5 PRC in the RokStok (147s at 2940fps) to my 7lb 6.5cm in a wildcat (factory replica) shooting 147s at 2780fps. With the factory stock on the PRC recoil behavior between those two rifles feels identical to me.

TL;DR:
There appears to a manufacturing issue on some Rokstoks where the recoil lug protrudes too much, creating the potential accuracy issues.

TL;DR # 2:
If you are ordering this stock with the expectation of a perfect drop-in installation, you may want to temper your expectations.

Hope this post is at least informative for anyone who may be chasing issues.

Last edited: