WKR
d0c171cb802c44e065d5e42862ada144.jpg

……..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh man, might have to go with the wood version for my model 70

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t have anything to do with the business, but the wood stocks are not a production item- they have a lot of handwork and will be limited to how many can be made a year. They will be more expensive than the Stocky’s of course.

I don’t have anything to do with the business, but the wood stocks are not a production item- they have a lot of handwork and will be limited to how many can be made a year. They will be more expensive than the Stocky’s of course.
Have you already been shooting the wood stock? Difference compared to carbon(feel/function). I’ve got some nice walnut blanks I plan to turn one into a Rokstock. Waiting on my buddies to arrive so I can pull measurements.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Have you already been shooting the wood stock? Difference compared to carbon(feel/function).

Nope. It just finished yesterday. But, wood is better at everything except weight (8oz), weather resistance and in some cases absolute strength- there are answers to solve the last two.

Given same-same, I prefer wood for almost everything. It’s warmer, feels better, and dampens vibrations for the shot way better than CF, fiberglass, and especially aluminum.

I’ve got some nice walnut blanks I plan to turn one into a Rokstock. Waiting on my buddies to arrive so I can pull measurements.

You will have to be very careful on the grip section with wood with this grip and comb shape.

Nope. It just finished yesterday. But, wood is better at everything except weight (8oz), weather resistance and in some cases absolute strength- there are answers to solve the last two.

Given same-same, I prefer wood for almost everything. It’s warmer, feels better, and dampens vibrations for the shot way better than CF, fiberglass, and especially aluminum.

You will have to be very careful on the grip section with wood with this grip and comb shape.
For sure, I actually plan to rip a blank down the middle and laminate a piece of maple in the center and skeletonize the maple piece to reduce weight. I hope that would help reinforce the grip from wanting to crack.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For sure, I actually plan to rip a blank down the middle and laminate a piece of maple in the center and skeletonize the maple piece to reduce weight. I hope that would help reinforce the grip from wanting to crack.

Exactly what will work.

I second this motion!
Will do. Still waiting on a barreled model 70 in 6mm ackley to return from Kampfeld so I can finish up my first stock. Need to finish the barrel channel/fill grain/oil. Here’s the unfinished stock

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 143

Jimbee

WKR
I've never built a wooden stock before, but here's my dad slabing some funky pieces of walnut for me with a homemade 2x4 rokstock build in mind. I was also thinking about ripping the stock and gluing in some carbon fiber sheets. Sort of a hybrid laminate. 20240517_140359.jpg20240517_140359.jpg

I've never built a wooden stock before, but here's my dad slabing some funky pieces of walnut for me with a homemade 2x4 rokstock build in mind. I was also thinking about ripping the stock and gluing in some carbon fiber sheets. Sort of a hybrid laminate. View attachment 741945View attachment 741945
Make sure is good an dry before you start building. I sure wish I had a mill, that’s awesome

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've never built a wooden stock before, but here's my dad slabing some funky pieces of walnut for me with a homemade 2x4 rokstock build in mind. I was also thinking about ripping the stock and gluing in some carbon fiber sheets. Sort of a hybrid laminate. View attachment 741945View attachment 741945

Take the blank, cut it down the middle into two halves- left and right side (top down lengthwise), reverse one side, glue. The stock won’t move after that.

Jimbee

WKR
Take the blank, cut it down the middle into two halves- left and right side (top down lengthwise), reverse one side, glue. The stock won’t move after that.
As in; roll one side, end for end, or both? Thanks for the tip!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
As in; roll one side, end for end, or both? Thanks for the tip!

One side. Cut down middle length from the top- splitting the stock into a left and right side. Then, flip the right side panel so that the front part is now to the rear, and the rear part is now front. Any thermal shift or expansion, fights each side resulting in no movement.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider

For reinforcing the grip transition point it can be pinned as well. Was brought up earlier in the thread. See @Stockys reply below.

Does not address any natural twist in the rest of the stock that may happen due to thermal and humidity changes.

You are correct. On those models there is actually a reinforcement pin on the underside of the grip to prevent breaking. Because we did test it and it did happen…