RokStok

Ordered one yesterday for a new tikka 6.5 Manbun build. I ordered it in tikka sporter with front arca/pic one color..Was it wrong to order the tikka sporter fit? A lot of talks on dead cat space.. couldn’t a guy dremel if it’s too tight? Wouldn’t “form” have specified enough barrel room on the “perfect stock”?
I Like the bravo sako green.. any opinions on a good green for stocks?

Appreciate any insight. This is my first semi custom build. Thanks
I also am a big fan of the KRG Sako Green. It’s tough to tell from the pics, but check out Highland Green (H-200), and Jesse James Eastern Front green (H-400). They look pretty close.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
That is not going to function how a rear bag should. Read Marc's article on the Hide and you'll understand why.
I’ve used it on the bench as a rear bag quite a bit. I don't have anything to compare it to so my thoughts on it are exclusive to my limited use case. I don't really shoot that far in hunting situations so I’ve never had the need.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I also am a big fan of the KRG Sako Green. It’s tough to tell from the pics, but check out Highland Green (H-200), and Jesse James Eastern Front green (H-400). They look pretty close.
Thanks I will check them out. Different lighting on the projects/materials makes everything appear different colors. Hard to decide. Doesn’t really matter however it would be nice if it looked “real nice”😂

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I’ve used it on the bench as a rear bag quite a bit. I don't have anything to compare it to so my thoughts on it are exclusive to my limited use case. I don't really shoot that far in hunting situations so I’ve never had the need.

Respectfully its hard to know what you dont know until you try a proper rear bag.
Here is the progression that most people take for precision shooting.

1. looking at lead sleds and some other kind of mechinacal advantage. Using hand as rear bag.
2. harris swivel stud bipod with hand as rear bag.
3. upgrade to atlas or similar bipod, figure out rear bags work.
4. do alot of belly shooting
5. optional start using a tripod
6. get to field positions and shooting off packs and doing kraft drills without bipods and rear bags.

#6 makes you feel like you suck all over again BTW. I still suck at #6.

JBMAK

FNG
Classified Approved
I carry two and if I’m helping a kid or newbie we’ll probably be carrying three. Oh and one of those may be used as a front bag depending on the situation ;)
Same. Im toting a squeeze bag for the rear no matter how far in I go. Armageddon gear makes some real nice ones that are ounces. Many other great brands out there as well, including UM.

I feel like a lot of guys in this thread could benefit from stepping out of their comfort zone and going to a PRS match and just watching. Heck I bet most of you would be offered a rifle to shoot for the day if you reimbursed them for the ammo.

Positional shooting with a rear bag is the tits fellas. Armageddon Gear has a bag called the Game Changer for a reason.

Parallel toe is King.

WKR

WKR
@Ryan Avery

WKR would like to meet and demonstrate in live fire how we are wrong on toe line. This would be a great opportunity to have someone on video show us that the stock is poorly designed.

WKR, even though you find squeezing a rear bag to be some massive impossible task, this should be an easy demonstration as you are so confident about this.

Thats not logic- that’s appeal to authority.

So what is your experience? No one else’s- yours. What stocks, what chassis, how rounds from what cartridges, what type of terrain, how many animals, etc?

What experience do you have to draw on? Just others? Gunsmiths shoot a lot and experiment in the field? Hunter's shoot a lot and experiment in the field? Who are these mythical gunsmiths that are shooting and experimenting a lot? I know and am familiar with quite a few gunsmiths- some of the most well known, only one shoots regularly- George Gardner. None of the others do.

Now I asked about gunsmith and hunters because “more accomplished shooters” that’s nearly all of PRS chassis and stocks- have moved to a parallel bag rider or toe, or are moving to it.

No, it’s skin to a stock purposely designed to recoil as straight in a line to the rear as possible, while still being very shootable from all positions, and to hand carry.

You’re blindly following “more accomplished shooters, gunsmiths, and hunters”. The only thing I care about is performance on demand- so show us in live fire how to shoot better and how a stock should be designed.
I have enough experience to know what is practical and what works in the field.

Let's take 3 examples of modern long range stocks GW nexus, Allterra, and McMillan warden LR. Do you mean to tell me that none of those stocks had any R&D or forethought into the design of the toe? It is not appealing to authority or anachronism. Its practical field use with applied research and development.

I'm not blindly following anyone, im simply stating and supporting my position. I can see i struck a nerve. Not my intention, and I hope your stock does well for you and all that buy it.

I mean I could make the damn thing work with a bag if I had to but there are more practical options that function better in the field and don't look as....bad.

How about Alex Wheeler? Does he shoot and experiment enough for your standards? Here is his thoughts on the rokstok20231223_160508.jpg

BBob

WKR
Wheeler is a great gunsmith and a darn good bench shooter. Yes he does or did hunt but I never got the feeling he did or does to the extent many do. Now that he’s in Florida I wonder if he’ll continue to hunt? I’d certainly listen to his opinion but not sure I’d put it too high up there at least for hunting in the field.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I have enough experience to know what is practical and what works in the field.

Let's take 3 examples of modern long range stocks GW nexus, Allterra, and McMillan warden LR. Do you mean to tell me that none of those stocks had any R&D or forethought into the design of the toe? It is not appealing to authority or anachronism. Its practical field use with applied research and development.

I'm not blindly following anyone, im simply stating and supporting my position. I can see i struck a nerve. Not my intention, and I hope your stock does well for you and all that buy it.

I mean I could make the damn thing work with a bag if I had to but there are more practical options that function better in the field and don't look as....bad.

How about Alex Wheeler? Does he shoot and experiment enough for your standards? Here is his thoughts on the rokstokView attachment 646354
Is anyone making you purchase this stock?

I'd just like to put it out there that I'm open to be called out at any point....

Especially if expenses paid.

Ok, pot stirring comment out of the way.

So, I can see an advantage to getting on target with a little bit of angled toe. However I understand what you trade in shot spotting with it. And I believe that overall you are better off in the end to be able to spot your shot than to get on target just slightly faster.

Then, what about follow up shot? Once setup with a flat stock you should be on target faster for a follow up. No need to find that spot again.

Personally really looking forward to try it out. I'm sure I'll find something that I'd prefer different with it, but I can see the why in a whole lot of it.