Rokstok vs HNT 26: A Hike & Shoot Review

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Carbon quality and layup makes a big difference in rigidity. High modulus carbon for instance is atleast twice the stiffness as regular carbon in my experience with extendable 50 ft carbon poles that I use for my business.

I tested a Leofoto 324 against a RRS Ascend, which has smaller diameter legs. The RRS was MUCH stiffer laterally than the 324. Grabbing a leg with each hand and counter pulling/pushing, the 324 felt like a noodle compared to the Ascend. The 284 was even more so.

Some ppl find that the Leofoto, Sunway etc. work fine for their uses though.

Personally, I’ve worked hard to optimize my fitness, skillsets and capabilities for mountain hunting. I won’t let gear be the weak point in my system. It’s the one area that can be optimized by throwing some money at it, unlike all the others.
Gotcha, I just picked up a 323C that I'm very happy with thus far. Maybe until I try a rrs haha

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
To circle back to the RokStok discussion, having a full length arca rail added would increase its utility
That would defeat some of the design features. Personally, at the point of adding a full length arca I think I would rather a chassis with the advantage of a folding stock and adjustability. (Not used a chassis more than the other day, so that is a SWAG).

I do think this demonstrates different ways of skinning the cat. I lack the experience or data to tell anyone what is best way to skin it, but I can say what I'm finding a preference for.

Of course, preferences become self fulfilling prophecies of a sort as familiarity reenforces comfort and confidence in the preference. That and having limited funds, the decision to not use a tripod or bipod (as the good ones are not cheap) is easy for me at the moment. Having a bad case of gear disease (shiney stuff syndrome), I do keep thinking about them, along with new cartridges, new glass, new range finders and a ton of other stuff I don't need, but would like.

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
This is the cleanest looking Arca that I’ve seen. It is the Gunwerks Mini Rail Kit that is designed to work with their post Aug. 2023 stocks that use an Escutcheon attachment system. I would think that you could mount it with a couple T Nuts countersunk into the channel of a Rokstok. There are no channels for the machine screws, only individual holes, so you would have to be very precise in your install.

IMG_3895.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

I paid $1300 and feel it was due to the functionality that I get out of it.
I remember last year I looked at them and the prices must have jumped over that time. I'd like to try one sometime, but I don't think I could get myself to release that much money for a stock unless it was life changing.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I remember last year I looked at them and the prices must have jumped over that time. I'd like to try one sometime, but I don't think I could get myself to release that much money for a stock unless it was life changing.
Not life changing. I bought mine used, but never used, here on the Slide from another member. They come up fairly often in most of the configurations.

Brix8984

WKR
How was LOP on the rokstock for the 6 year old? Could she hunt with it? My daughter is 7 4’3” and 60 ish lbs currently. I’ve put together a 6 creed for her as well. I have a rokstock on order for it but also have a hnt 26 laying around in case she needs the shorter lop.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How was LOP on the rokstock for the 6 year old? Could she hunt with it? My daughter is 7 4’3” and 60 ish lbs currently. I’ve put together a 6 creed for her as well. I have a rokstock on order for it but also have a hnt 26 laying around in case she needs the shorter lop.
Interestingly she got behind it better than she does a Savage Rascal, she always wants to tuck the Rascal under her arm, but she did not even try that on the Rokstok.

From a trigger perspective, the Rokstok is better than the Rascal and with a little work I think she could drive it off a rest ok.

However, unless shooting off a rest, and having me help set the rifle up, no she could not hunt with it. The sub 3 pound Rascal is pushing her in the strength to comfortably handle department. The 8ish pound Tikka/Rokstok rifle is 1 fifth of her weight (I would not want to use a 36 pound rifle for hunting, which would be an equivalent weight ratio, though 50 or more pounds would be closer on the muscle mass to weight ratio).

Your daughter has 20 pounds and 7 inches on mine, so not a direct comparison. If hunting from a still position, I bet it will work well, particularly if suppressed. I think the only think is to try both (as you will have both) and see which she claims.

Brix8984

WKR
Interestingly she got behind it better than she does a Savage Rascal, she always wants to tuck the Rascal under her arm, but she did not even try that on the Rokstok.

From a trigger perspective, the Rokstok is better than the Rascal and with a little work I think she could drive it off a rest ok.

However, unless shooting off a rest, and having me help set the rifle up, no she could not hunt with it. The sub 3 pound Rascal is pushing her in the strength to comfortably handle department. The 8ish pound Tikka/Rokstok rifle is 1 fifth of her weight (I would not want to use a 36 pound rifle for hunting, which would be an equivalent weight ratio, though 50 or more pounds would be closer on the muscle mass to weight ratio).

Your daughter has 20 pounds and 7 inches on mine, so not a direct comparison. If hunting from a still position, I bet it will work well, particularly if suppressed. I think the only think is to try both (as you will have both) and see which she claims.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like it is pretty decent for her. My Daughter shoots a t1x a lot from a bench with bags for now. We are working our way towards shooing off a tripod more and more. I would agree my daughter will still require a fair amount of help this fall. I’m in Oklahoma so most of our local hunting is from a blind anyway.

I suppress everything for her so she doesn’t end up with hearing loss like her dad. Thanks again for the response. I’m hoping she can shoot the rokstock so I can keep it the same as all my other rifles but we shall see I guess.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome picture and feedback. Currently finishing up an XLR element build to do this very thing in the Delta Junction area 1st week of August. Contemplating a Rokstok so the comparison is helpful. I liked the flexibility of the XLR over the HNT26 but the magnesium getting cold is the biggest downside. I got some Talon Grip pads on Amazon to try to address this, just haven't tackled that yet.

Is the HNT really worth $1600? That's insane
i should have added that found used or during the mdt black friday sale deals can be found. then it might be worth it depending on your application. i'd much rather have 2 or 3 rokstocks though personally the folder and other features of the hnt26 werent that appealing to me. i much prefer thumb in line with bore and didn;t like how it rode a bag. ergos wse even the bravo is much better for me but a pound heavier unfortunately.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
When out shooting rocks or hiking in steel, does anyone worry about sparking a fire?

I found a great spot to shoot out to distance, across canyons, steep angles, etc, on BLM, but I'm curious about the possible fire hazards.

@Formidilosus , @B_Reynolds_AK , @Ryan Avery

When out shooting rocks or hiking in steel, does anyone worry about sparking a fire?

I found a great spot to shoot out to distance, across canyons, steep angles, etc, on BLM, but I'm curious about the possible fire hazards.

I worry about it. Even though the bullet is copper and lead I'm fairly sure it can still create a spark hitting a steel plate. Definitely can hitting a rock just from the rock impacting itself.

I saw a video not long ago of super slow motion 22lr bullet being shot into a hollow point copper jacketed lead bullet. At least I think that was the configuration. Either way, it was all non-ferrous metal. When they impacted, it generated a spark.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Certain areas can have higher chances than others. Where we are located there have been multiple fires due to this because of the oil shale.

6.5x284

WKR

Yes. I shoot early mornings when the vegetation around is very dry, or an extreme wildfire risk index. I’ve seen them start at rifle ranges before off steel impact as well. Usually I’m not shooting on public from mid July - August for this reason unless it rained. I’ll use ranges if I need to with mitigation in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk