Rokstok vs HNT 26: A Hike & Shoot Review

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If that's actually true, you're not taking the shot, at least with sheep. At 500+ through a really nice spotting scope, you're going to be spending a bit of time ensuring it's legal.
That makes sense. I wish I got to sheep hunt more, here in AZ I go and glass up the desert big horns just about every week. I would say some days they would give me plenty of time for a shot and other days not so much.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Like Z said, if it’s a truly long range shot, I’m not rushing it. I really only hunt sheep, so all of my experience and use case revolves around that. If I have to rush a shot like that, it’s because it’s a follow up or something out of the ordinary. Whether or not Z or MX is correct is besides the point though. When well practiced, the tripod is an invaluable asset that takes no longer for me to set up than any other long range shooting position.
Of course I practice without it as well, as no piece of equipment should be a crutch that someone relies entirely on.
Good discussion.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Cool comparison, thanks for posting. Scythe ti sounds pretty sweet.

Did you shoot the XLR much to compare to either the rokstock or hnt26?
I'll jump in and comment on this. Keep in mind I've got hundreds of rounds and exponentially more dry fire time with the XLR versus the RokStok. I shot a few rounds from the @Marbles Rokstok so what I'll share is initial impressions. It was cool!

The Rokstok ergonomics felt good, was easily able to stay in the scope and spot impacts, and it felt "dead" when properly supported. To elaborate on that last point, when the gun was layed over the improvised rest, it settled nicely with a very small wobble zone. It just felt good.

Lastly, and @B_Reynolds_AK already touched on this, pun intended, the RokStok feels nicer to hold compared to the XLR chassis. The carbon fiber stock with the slight texturing was pleasing. Magnesium eventually assumes the temperature of it's surrounds (to a point). The XLR, while flat on the bottom, is more sharply square in hand compared to the RokStok.

If I had a Rokstok on a rifle of mine, I'd miss the following from my XLR (or MDT HNT 26) chassis: full length ARCA, folding stock, adjustable stock, and modularity for pistol grips and thumb rests.

There's no such thing as the best, just tradeoffs.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'll jump in and comment on this. Keep in mind I've got hundreds of rounds and exponentially more dry fire time with the XLR versus the RokStok. I shot a few rounds from the @Marbles Rokstok so what I'll share is initial impressions. It was cool!

The Rokstok ergonomics felt good, was easily able to stay in the scope and spot impacts, and it felt "dead" when properly supported. To elaborate on that last point, when the gun was layed over the improvised rest, it settled nicely with a very small wobble zone. It just felt good.

Lastly, and @B_Reynolds_AK already touched on this, pun intended, the RokStok feels nicer to hold compared to the XLR chassis. The carbon fiber stock with the slight texturing was pleasing. Magnesium eventually assumes the temperature of it's surrounds (to a point). The XLR, while flat on the bottom, is more sharply square in hand compared to the RokStok.

If I had a Rokstok on a rifle of mine, I'd miss the following from my XLR (or MDT HNT 26) chassis: full length ARCA, folding stock, adjustable stock, and modularity for pistol grips and thumb rests.

There's no such thing as the best, just tradeoffs.
Thanks for taking the time to make the comparison and get some feedback in there on the rokstock, it’s hard to beat side by siding something so directly.

If I’ve learned one thing from the forum it’s that experienced opinions do give you more to consider, but nothing replaces testing how things work for you personally, regardless of the equipment type. I think that’s largely due to what you value based on your particular use case. At least for me. 100% agree on “there’s no best” when looking at options many times.

Thanks!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Thanks for taking the time to make the comparison and get some feedback in there on the rokstock, it’s hard to beat side by siding something so directly.

If I’ve learned one thing from the forum it’s that experienced opinions do give you more to consider, but nothing replaces testing how things work for you personally, regardless of the equipment type. I think that’s largely due to what you value based on your particular use case. At least for me. 100% agree on “there’s no best” when looking at options many times.

Thanks!
💯

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Like Z said, if it’s a truly long range shot, I’m not rushing it. I really only hunt sheep, so all of my experience and use case revolves around that. If I have to rush a shot like that, it’s because it’s a follow up or something out of the ordinary. Whether or not Z or MX is correct is besides the point though. When well practiced, the tripod is an invaluable asset that takes no longer for me to set up than any other long range shooting position.
Of course I practice without it as well, as no piece of equipment should be a crutch that someone relies entirely on.
Good discussion.
I’d love to try your tripod setup in real hunting shots like this. I’ve never really shot from one in the field.

I’ll be up at my buddies place in Eagle River, heading out from his place to hunt Moose from Sept 1-15th. If you plan another shooting day around then maybe shoot me a PM? Y’all can try out the Spartan setup I have on my guns if you want, see what you think. I’d love to learn from sheep hunters, you guys are legit!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I’d love to try your tripod setup in real hunting shots like this. I’ve never really shot from one in the field.

I’ll be up at my buddies place in Eagle River, heading out from his place to hunt Moose from Sept 1-15th. If you plan another shooting day around then maybe shoot me a PM? Y’all can try out the Spartan setup I have on my guns if you want, see what you think. I’d love to learn from sheep hunters, you guys are legit!
Will do 👌🏼. I sold my Spartan system as I didn’t see the benefit from my use case. Too wobbly for true long range and 400 and in I’m happy to use a pack. The 4-5 oz I saved from that made up most of the weight difference to using a true shooting head on my tripod.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
It’s fantastic.
Unlike the inferior carbon in their tripod legs, the MA-30L operates extremely smoothly and weighs 4 oz less than the Anvil-30.

Trust me, if the Anvil was functionally better and within an ounce or two, it is 100 percent what I would be using. But, it is not, and the MA-30L wins on all accounts, minus the fact that it is not US made.
@B_Reynolds_AK how do you like leophoto faux anvil on your rrs Tripod?

khuber84

WKR
It’s fantastic.
Unlike the inferior carbon in their tripod legs, the MA-30L operates extremely smoothly and weighs 4 oz less than the Anvil-30.

Trust me, if the Anvil was functionally better and within an ounce or two, it is 100 percent what I would be using. But, it is not, and the MA-30L wins on all accounts, minus the fact that it is not US made.
Well I'm gonna have to get me one and try it out, have a few anvils. I have one the Sunwayfoto micro inverted heads atop a 323c leofoto and it's right at 3.5#, I can shoot steel to 600y kneeling pretty easily, seated with rear pack to 800y. It's pretty good for the weight/price point. But if these leo anvil clones are that good I've gotta find me one.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks!
Happy to help answer any specific questions you have. Cheers!

Marty

Lil-Rokslider

My tripod set up is similar to @B_Reynolds_AK. Aziak backcountry tripod (18.77oz) with the MA-30L head (11.68) for total combined weight of 30.45 oz / 1.9 lbs. My rifle is almost a full 2 pounds heavier than his 6CM and I’m quite happy with the performance to weight ratio. Having shot his tripod, however, I’d note it did feel more stable. This is likely due to the larger legs of his RRS Ascend-14.

The three points of contact from the tripod plus a rear point of contact, be it a shooting bag, rolled up jacket, or your non-shooting hand, have helped me build confidence shooting at distances 400-750+ yards in mountainous terrain. Practice, even dry fire in my garage, has cut down the total time from I want to execute a shot to round on target.

To circle back to the RokStok discussion, having a full length arca rail added would increase its utility.

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 94

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
It’s fantastic.

What's the difference in their carbon fiber?

Marshfly

WKR
I love my Sunwayfoto 2830CS tripod for shooting. Way lighter than I thought it would be. Can't beat it for the price. A little short for standing though. I attached a VA-5 to the included ARCA plate for spotter use and that works amazing.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
What's the difference in their carbon fiber?
Carbon quality and layup makes a big difference in rigidity. High modulus carbon for instance is atleast twice the stiffness as regular carbon in my experience with extendable 50 ft carbon poles that I use for my business.

I tested a Leofoto 324 against a RRS Ascend, which has smaller diameter legs. The RRS was MUCH stiffer laterally than the 324. Grabbing a leg with each hand and counter pulling/pushing, the 324 felt like a noodle compared to the Ascend. The 284 was even more so.

Some ppl find that the Leofoto, Sunway etc. work fine for their uses though.

Personally, I’ve worked hard to optimize my fitness, skillsets and capabilities for mountain hunting. I won’t let gear be the weak point in my system. It’s the one area that can be optimized by throwing some money at it, unlike all the others.