Rokslide and Kuiu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Kuiu has not been happy with Rokslide for awhile. Over the past year they have brought up the fact that Aron working for Kifaru and Kryptek was an issue for them. Kuiu also emailed us to have our admin stop bringing up other companies in Kuiu threads which is kind of odd considering that our whole site is driven off of comparing products. But the relationship came to an end when we asked to do a review on their new ultra pack. Kuiu said yes but wanted us to leave out part of the testing we had done on the previous two packs. This is not the transparency that Kuiu promotes and we felt all packs promoted equally (Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch), should be tested equally. This was an issue to say the least.

Rokslide was started on the basis of giving non bias gear reviews and comparing products. We have numerous other sponsors and none of them have had any issues with our testing or reviews nor do we have ANY issues with any of our other sponsors. Rokslide drives traffic to all of our sponsors especially KUIU thanks to our members.
Other items like the new sleeping bag and tent became an issue pretty quickly as well, and we struggled to get anyone from Kuiu to post actual specs of these products (the tent more than the sleeping bag). This would not be an issue normally, but when Aron and a couple other Rokslide staff members compared the new Kuiu products with products that were already available, Aron and I got another talking to about what KUIU would like us to say instead of what we did say.

We don’t want to turn this into a bash fest, but when a company promotes themselves as “transparent” and then asks us to moderate more forum posts then all of the other sponsors combined, well, that’s a problem for us.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for laying it out there Ryan. I'm grateful we can have the good and bad product reviews on here. I only have so much money its really helps researching something that will be a good fit for my needs. Hurts when sponsors leave but sounds like this was a good parting of values.

dotman

WKR
Weird, oh well, their loss. Glad to see you guys stand by your values and give it straight no matter who or who not is a sponsor.

Good on Rokslide for sticking to your guns. Kuiu's loss big time, but its good to finally see their true colours.

Pretty funny how their scared of doing real testing on their packs. I don't remember Kurt or Patrick complaining about having their packs thrown down a mountain.

handwerk

WKR
Yep I'm a pretty big fan of kuiu goods, but it sounds like for now you made the tough, but right call...thanks for taking the high road, as we'll all benefit from the truth.
Also thanks for bringing us up to speed on what happended and keeping this forum classy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not unexpected, especially considering their stance they have taken as of late. I can think of many other companies more deserving of my business.

littlebuf

Banned
theres a reason i dont and will never own a piece of there gear. im not a Guinea pig im a paying customer, and i want to buy finished and fully tested products. good for you for severing the ties and maintaining rokslides integrity

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I'm a pretty big fan of kuiu goods, but it sounds like for now you made the tough, but right call...thanks for taking the high road, as we'll all benefit from the truth.
Also thanks for bringing us up to speed on what happended and keeping this forum classy.

Couldn't have said it better.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
To be clear Kuiu pulled their sponsorship when we started balking on the pack test. It didn't quite sit well with us. I am sure Aron will chime in here and give his 10 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.