Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge

D

david long

Late June or early July of this year, depending on snow conditions in the high country, several Rokslide members will be participating in an event we are calling the "Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge". This event will cover two days and will take place in the high country of Colorado. Here is a summary:

Day 1: Complete the 28 mile Four Pass Loop near Aspen. Most people take four days to backpack this trip, we will hopefully be completing it in less than 10 hours. The loop takes you over four passes that are all over 12,400' in elevation.

A friend and I completed this loop last year in 12 hrs. Here's the link to the video of the trip:

[video=vimeo;37085309]http://vimeo.com/37085309[/video]

Sound fun? We're not done yet.

Day 2: Climb the two highest peaks in Colorado - Mount Elbert and Mount Massive. Both peaks are over 14,400' in elevation and the loop will be well over 20 miles in length with a "boatload" of elevation gain!

This event should be a lot of fun! I am sure the hot tub will sound pretty good upon completion of the 2012 Extreme!

OP
D

david long

Depends on the snow pack..........I would like to get it done in late June or early July...........we will firm up the dates as soon as we can.

We would love to have you participate with us. Did the loop clockwise last year, then, come to find out, that is the more difficult direction to do it. Gonna do it counter-clockwise this year.

I will pack my Hero cam and film it for the website!

weaver

WKR
If everything pans out and I move west this year, ill be there.

OP
R

rebecca francis

I can't wait! It is going to be a great hike, and great preparation for the fall hunts!

aggieland

WKR
Coming from 350ft elevation and trying to keep up with you guys after one or two days acclimation.. I'm betting that would be pretty ugly on my part.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
i'd like to throw my hat in the ring......already trying to get a trail run get-together going for late June and will be in Silverton for HR100 in early July. keep us updated.

you happen to have an elevation gain/loss for that loop?? should be able to knock 28miles out fairly quick depending on gain and what not.

Last edited:

diggerson

Lil-Rokslider
I might be interested. Good timing to get another mountin fix in after coming off of Tough Mudder in early June. Keep us posted on the potential weekend!

OP
D

david long

Glad to see there is some interest in this thing! It will be fun - guaranteed. I will keep you posted on dates.

I will throw the loop into DeLorme and see what the elevation gain/loss is for the trip.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see there is some interest in this thing! It will be fun - guaranteed. I will keep you posted on dates.

I will throw the loop into DeLorme and see what the elevation gain/loss is for the trip.

awesome... that'd help out a bunch to try and figure out what i'd need to tweak to hammer that out pretty quickly. is there a suitable place around to camp out between the start and then the second day?? i've got some new stuff on the way i'd like to try out and get a few test runs in before season.

whats the elevation at the trailhead? that just sounds nuts lol i live at about 100' above see level and the close to 8000' where i shot my deer this year had me winded then again i wasnt in the greatest shape but did manage to drop 30 pounds from january to september. im hoping to be able and drop another 15-20 before next hunting season.

My goodness! This sounds like a lot of pain but I would be totally be in if I didn't live in Washington St. I am not sure I could swing it this year.

You did it in August and considerable snow was visible. June ....yikes. Looking out the office window at Mt. Sopris...entirely "white" . Errr, that is if I was looking out the office window. 8^)

OP
D

david long

We did it in August 2011 but the winter of 2010/2011 was an "Epic" snow pack year for the high country of Colorado. There are many years you can get back in there in late June or early July. You may have to traverse a few snow banks and wade some deep water, but very doable.

Lukem

WKR
Will be watching this. Would love to do it, not sure if the timing will work or not, but definitely interested.