Sold Roger Green Custom .338-06 Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is a catch-and-release for me. It's a custom rifle built by Roger M. Green of Brewster, WA. The rifle starts with a trued Mark X mauser action, has a Shilen stainless 22" barrel with bead blast finish, and sits in a Bansner Hi Tech stock with Mauser bottom metal. The dealer who sold me the rifle stated this rifle and a Rem 700 35 Whelen Green custom were traded to them by the original owner that had both rifles built by Mr. Green. The information I have about the rifle came from the dealer, and this dealer has a good reputation.

Some specs:
Bansner stock weighs 24.2 oz.
LOP is 13-1/2"
Trigger pull is 2 lbs 11 oz average of 3 pulls
The muzzle diameter is .620"
Bare rifle weighs only 6 lbs 6 oz.!
Rifle length is 42-1/2"

The Interarms Mark X action was trued by Mr. Green before installing the Shilen barrel. There are no markings on the barrel to indicate a "grade" of the blank. The trigger appears to be a standard trigger for this action, and has 4 separate adjustment points.

The stock is painted in a dark gray finish, and has a few scuffs in the semi-gloss finish. Were I to keep the rifle, I would have John Blake put one of his awesome $75 paint jobs on the Bansner. The stock has pillars installed, and is inletted very nicely to the free-floated barrel. The BDL-style bottom metal is standard Mauser. It has a thin Decelerator pad that's in excellent condition. Also included is a set of Leupold standard bases and 1" rings. The rings have been lapped.

There are no blemishes on the action. The barrel has two small shiny lines on the underside, and two tiny marks at the recessed crown. The bottom metal has no blemishes. If you have the stock painted, you'll have a rifle in near-new condition cosmetically. The rifling looks very crisp. The bolt face is also very clean. And this may be a controlled round feed action? You Mauser guys will know. I do not know the round count, but you Mauser guys can probably read the boltface to get an approx. idea. Finally, the rifle feels very good in hand at only 6 lbs 6 oz. and balances very well. I have no accuracy information.

Here is a link to Mr. Green's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/roger.m.green.5/

And here is a link showing a fabulous shotgun he built for George H. W. Bush: https://www.earthandskystudios.net/rogermgreen.com/gunmaker/index.html

This was a bit of an impulse purchase for me. I actually called them about the Rem 700 35 Whelen Roger Green custom and missed it by about 10 minutes.
cry
Those of you who know me know I'm a tried-a-true Remington action man. I've tried to get attached to this custom rifle, but I just can't get there. It's a great rifle, but it's not a 700. I'm actually way out of my comfort zone on this one. I love the .338-06 caliber, but just have little knowledge of Mauser-type actions. I know there are many members here that are Mauser experts that can truly appreciate the rifle.

I'm also out of my comfort zone on pricing it. I'm guessing it's probably about a $2,700-3,000 build. I could be wrong. Let's sell it at $1,200 $1,000 $950 shipped. I'll also consider trades for this one. I'm in need of a smaller caliber lightweight bolt rifle. Everything I own is .270 Weatherby and larger. So a .257 Wby, .25-06, 6.5x284 Norma, .264 Win Mag, 6.5 PRC or another 6.5 not labeled Creedmoor would get my attention. Would also consider most any Rem 700 or Model Seven, or alpha glass.

Drop me a PM if you have questions. Thanks for looking! And if any of you Mauser guys care to provide some enlightening info here in the thread, please do. I won't consider you to be stepping on my thread. Thanks.

I'll post 10 more photos after 24 hours or after someone replies to the thread.

Keith

IMG_8667.jpgIMG_8668.jpgIMG_8669.jpgIMG_8670.jpgIMG_8671.jpgIMG_8672.jpgIMG_8675.jpgIMG_8682.jpgIMG_8686.jpgIMG_8691.jpg

Last edited:

stevevan

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is a catch-and-release for me. It's a custom rifle built by Roger M. Green of Brewster, WA. The rifle starts with a trued Mark X mauser action, has a Shilen stainless 22" barrel with bead blast finish, and sits in a Bansner Hi Tech stock with Blackburn bottom metal. The dealer who sold me the rifle stated this rifle and a Rem 700 35 Whelen Green custom were traded to them by the original owner that had both rifles built by Mr. Green. The information I have about the rifle came from the dealer, and this dealer has a good reputation.

Some specs:
Bansner stock weighs 24.2 oz.
LOP is 13-1/2"
Trigger pull is 2 lbs 11 oz average of 3 pulls
The muzzle diameter is .620"
Rifle weighs only 6 lbs 12.2 oz.
Rifle length is 42-1/2"

The Interarms Mark X action was trued by Mr. Green before installing the Shilen barrel. There are no markings on the barrel to indicate a "grade" of the blank. The trigger appears to be a standard trigger for this action, and has 4 separate adjustment points.

The stock is painted in a dark gray finish, and has a few scuffs in the semi-gloss finish. Were I to keep the rifle, I would have John Blake put one of his awesome $75 paint jobs on the Bansner. The stock has pillars installed, and is inletted very nicely to the free-floated barrel. The BDL-style bottom metal is by Blackburn. It has a thin Decelerator pad that's in excellent condition. Also included is a set of Leupold standard bases and 1" rings. The rings have been lapped.

There are no blemishes on the action. The barrel has two small shiny lines on the underside, and two tiny marks at the recessed crown. The bottom metal has no blemishes. If you have the stock painted, you'll have a rifle in near-new condition cosmetically. The rifling looks very crisp. The bolt face is also very clean. And this may be a controlled round feed action? You Mauser guys will know. I do not know the round count, but you Mauser guys can probably read the boltface to get an approx. idea. Finally, the rifle feels very good in hand at only 6 lbs 12 oz. and balances very well. I have no accuracy information.

Here is a link to Mr. Green's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/roger.m.green.5/

And here is a link showing a fabulous shotgun he built for George H. W. Bush: https://www.earthandskystudios.net/rogermgreen.com/gunmaker/index.html

This was a bit of an impulse purchase for me. I actually called them about the Rem 700 35 Whelen Roger Green custom and missed it by about 10 minutes.
cry
Those of you who know me know I'm a tried-a-true Remington action man. I've tried to get attached to this custom rifle, but I just can't get there. It's a great rifle, but it's not a 700. I'm actually way out of my comfort zone on this one. I love the .338-06 caliber, but just have little knowledge of Mauser-type actions. I know there are many members here that are Mauser experts that can truly appreciate the rifle.

I'm also out of my comfort zone on pricing it. I'm guessing it's probably about a $2,700-3,000 build. I could be wrong. Let's sell it at $1,200 shipped. I'll also consider trades for this one. I'm in need of a smaller caliber lightweight bolt rifle. Everything I own is .270 Weatherby and larger. So a .257 Wby, .25-06, 6.5x284 Norma, .264 Win Mag, 6.5 PRC or another 6.5 not labeled Creedmoor would get my attention. Would also consider most any Rem 700 or Model Seven, or alpha glass.

Drop me a PM if you have questions. Thanks for looking! And if any of you Mauser guys care to provide some enlightening info here in the thread, please do. I won't consider you to be stepping on my thread. Thanks.

I'll post 10 more photos after 24 hours or after someone replies to the thread.

Keith

View attachment 713381View attachment 713382View attachment 713383View attachment 713384View attachment 713385View attachment 713386View attachment 713387View attachment 713388View attachment 713389View attachment 713390
Very nice from a solid seller and gentleman. Great timing for a spring bear hunt.

Shad71

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dang that would be a great bear and elk rifle. Wish I had the extra scratch laying around as it would fit right in with my 35 Whelen & my 9.3x62...
I'm sure she sell quickly 🍻

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
TTT. The rifle is cross-posted. I was uncertain on pricing. Let's go with $1,100 shipped on this custom.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Still available at $1100 shipped. It's on Gunbroker now. But I'll still sell or trade it here so long as a bid hasn't been placed on GB.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This ultralight custom .338-06 Mauser needs a new home. Weighs only 6 lbs 6 oz without rings and bases! $950 shipped OBO. Trades considered.

A Mauser expert reached out to me on this rifle to let me know it is definitely a controlled round feed action.

I have a .257 Weatherby arriving on Tuesday and it needs a good scope. Let's do some trading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.