Rocky Mountain All Terrain tires?

Looking to get some tough tires for my F150 that will be OK for driving highway speeds on paved highways AND also able to handle some pretty rocky, rough desert dirt roads.

Thinking about these: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/rocky-mountain-all-terrain

But open to suggestions as well.

Live in Nevada and drive mostly on pavement, but obviously to get to to hunting areas I sometimes need to drive some pretty rough high desert roads with a lot of sharp jagged rocks and cactus, thorn bushes.

The nice street focused tires I've had in the past work fine on pavement and actual dirt/gravel roads, but a little bit of driving on the sharp rocky terrain and at least one goes flat.

SloppyJ

WKR
No experience with them but I would personally pay up for something a bit better. I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja Bosses right now and I like them but I don't think I'll get anywhere near the 55k advertised. Falken Wildpeaks are another popular choice but they seem to have gone up in the past couple years. If I were to go with more of an "off-brand" I would stick to the Kenda Klever or the Maxxis Razr.

180ls1

WKR
Big lugs (MT, XT, some AT) chunk on rocks and are poor on the street so an all season or all terrain with a thick sidewall will do the trick. You probably want E rated sidewalls.

nobody

WKR
We’ve had multiple sets of the Hankook Dynapro AT’s across multiple iterations and revisions of the tires, on everything from half tons, to 3/4 tons, to one ton pickups. They’ve been a great balance of price to performance across all platforms. Plenty quiet on road, solid off road, and last well mileage wise. Every time we shop for pickup tires we look at other options and always go back to the Hankooks.

I’ll echo the sentiment on the BFG’s. Dad had a set on a 3/4 ton Power Stroke that were toasted after 15k miles, and they were super loud on road. Killer off road traction, but the per mile cost and on road comfort sucked for an all terrain tire.

big44a4

WKR
We’ve had multiple sets of the Hankook Dynapro AT’s across multiple iterations and revisions of the tires, on everything from half tons, to 3/4 tons, to one ton pickups. They’ve been a great balance of price to performance across all platforms. Plenty quiet on road, solid off road, and last well mileage wise. Every time we shop for pickup tires we look at other options and always go back to the Hankooks.

I’ll echo the sentiment on the BFG’s. Dad had a set on a 3/4 ton Power Stroke that were toasted after 15k miles, and they were super loud on road. Killer off road traction, but the per mile cost and on road comfort sucked for an all terrain tire.

I’ve had good luck with 3 sets of BFG KO2 tires on my tundras. Usually get around 120k miles out of them. Mostly highway between construction sites daily with 2-4 trips to the mountains a year. Done well in snow and mud. Could be better in rain but never had an issue.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cooper at3 has been a go to the last few years. Last a long time, quiet, and decent off road. Hard to find a 15k a year highway tire that works hard 5k Miles off road

dlee56

WKR
I just got these exact tires on my F150 about a month ago. I got the E1 rated tires in a 275/70/18 and so far I like them a lot I got the larger size for my truck and they were $220/tire but if you get the stock size they are like $150/tire. The compound feels pretty gummy compared to some of the big MT tires I usually get, but holy moly these things are quiet on the highway. I haven’t taken them off road so I can’t comment on their performance yet but for their price I like them a lot so far.

Also hard to beat discount tires free rotations and I went ahead and got the extended warranty so they’ll replace them if they chunk or wear weird. Even with the price of the extended warranty these were over $120 cheaper per tire than the others I looked at.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got these exact tires on my F150 about a month ago. I got the E1 rated tires in a 275/70/18 and so far I like them a lot I got the larger size for my truck and they were $220/tire but if you get the stock size they are like $150/tire. The compound feels pretty gummy compared to some of the big MT tires I usually get, but holy moly these things are quiet on the highway. I haven’t taken them off road so I can’t comment on their performance yet but for their price I like them a lot so far.

Also hard to beat discount tires free rotations and I went ahead and got the extended warranty so they’ll replace them if they chunk or wear weird. Even with the price of the extended warranty these were over $120 cheaper per tire than the others I looked at.
We don't mess around with shit tires in Wisconsin. Our winters are terrible. I drive 40Ish miles a day down unpaved roads in the winter to and from. Not the absolute best snow tire, but the best 4 season serious hunter tire I've had. If it is a hunting only rig the Cooper at3 sst is nasty for that.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Used to run TA KO2 on my F150s. Last time around the prices jumped to double what the Cooper AT3s were. 30k later they've been fine. Not quite as grippy but certainly quieter.

dlee56

WKR
We don't mess around with shit tires in Wisconsin. Our winters are terrible. I drive 40Ish miles a day down unpaved roads in the winter to and from. Not the absolute best snow tire, but the best 4 season serious hunter tire I've had. If it is a hunting only rig the Cooper at3 sst is nasty for that.
I’ve had nothing but bad luck with any cooper AT’s, then again I haven’t tried them in several years so maybe they’ve improved.

I’m in CO so I’m no stranger to winter driving, I have a dedicated set of winter tires that I run 4-6mo a year, studded Nokian Hakkapolitas and they have been bulletproof in the deep snow, ice and slush. Plus they last forever, I put on about 20k miles a year commuting and those have lasted me 4 winters so far, still with 10/32 on them surprisingly.

I got these cheap Rocky Mountain AT tires just to trial as my summer/mountain tire, I’m hoping they work out well since they saved me over $600-$1000 compared to the Falken Wildpeaks, KO2s, Duratracs, and Toyo MTs I’ve driven on in the past.

Backyard

WKR

I’ll second the Hankooks. Got the 10 ply on my F150. Great on the highway (quiet too)and no worries on the sharp rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
Hankooks on my F250 and Land Cruiser. They work great.

Air down your tires on the rough stuff too. Assuming you can air back up when done. Or just air down to a level that is still doable on the hwy.

OP
A

Thanks for the info

OP
A
Hankooks on my F250 and Land Cruiser. They work great.

Air down your tires on the rough stuff too. Assuming you can air back up when done. Or just air down to a level that is still doable on the hwy.
Thanks

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone else has input on the Rocky Mountain AT? Between those and the Goodyear Ultraterrain for my F-150 in the SL version.

sdsent

FNG
I've loved my Falken Wildpeaks- lighter than most offroad tires so they don't ding your gas mileage as much, and are a bit quieter at highway speeds. Obviously not as great offroad as a true burly tire, but they've been great for me on my daily driver.