Rock climbing harness sizing

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at making the switch to a rock climbing harness. Hell, to be honest I have never worn a harness. Stupid. I know. Anyways, I’m wondering about waist sizing. I hunt in the upper midwest where it gets cold and you’ll have to wear bulkier layers. How do they fit when you’re in bibs and all of that? I see some of them are in the 37-42” waist areas….most of them actually. I generally wear a 36 or 38 jeans/pants. I just want to ensure i’m not gonna run into any issues once November hits and I start to throw on layers. Any help or feedback here? If so what harness are you running? FYI I am
looking at the Black Diamond Vario Speed and it says it goes up to 42” waist which SHOULD be fine. Thanks!

Go to the forbidden outdoor store to try one one (REI). But generally speaking the sizing is fairly accurate from what I've found with climbing harnesses

A harness for ice climbing or mountaineering (ie putting it on over crampons and belay pants) will have more adjustability than one for sport climbing. BD Couloir is great for winter gear

I have a couple vario speed harnesses, I wear a 34 sometimes 36 pant and I think youll be fine. I have plenty of slack that wraps around nearly to my back. I have the older grey/orange model and the newer blue and Id say if you can find new old stock of the grey/orange, grab that one. Both are fine, I just find the older one more comfortable and less floppy as all the webbing is wider.

I use the speed harness in a climber or in a ladder stand. If Im in a hang on with sticks, I use the dryad killdeer as it has loops for your linesman belt, If I only had 1 harness, it would be the killdeer.

BD sells a bod harness that has loops you might think will work with a linesman belt, but I dont believe they are weight bearing.

Macintosh

WKR
Just be aware that a climbing harness doesnt hold you upright the way a tree stand harness does, so if you pitch over head-first or if you are “topheavy”, you can fall out of the harness if it isnt snug enough. So that waist really should be above your hip bones and snug.
Its sort of verboten in climbing, but you might consider wearing it under your outer layer. Climbers like to be able to visually see the harness and buckles to make sure everything is safe, which is a good habit. But if you are in a really bulky set of bibs with a jacket over it, it can be a lot. Wearing it under your jacket can be more comfortable, just be aware you are taking a safety shortcut and carefully check your self when you clip or tie into anything, etc.

You should be gtg with the vario speed. Used one for 3 years now. Very happy.

Pro tip: If you hunt any kind of platform, figure out a way to keep your safety rope behind you. A rubber band, a bite tucked into the harness, etc. it helps keep it out of the way for shooting.

OP
C

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
There was a REI near my work and swung in there to try some on. Their selection was lack luster but it gave me a good idea of what was going on. My stands are all set. Won’t be running any mobile type setups on my land. I have lifelines ran from the stand to the ground with a pruit knot and caribeaner to attach to the harness.

I believe Im gonna order a BD vario speed for now and run that. I’ll see how that goes during the beginning of the season. If push comes to shove I have the stock body harnesses that come with the millennium stands. Thanks for all the help. I figure this wi
be a learning experience as I go.

tracker12

WKR
I have been using a RCH for at least 10 years now. I did send mine off to Custom Gear Modifications (CGM) and had them add linesman loops. Mine is an older Petzel.

Petzl gym(pandion)user for the last 7 years.
While linemans loops would be faster they are way more dangerous.
I work for a power company and no lineman use loops like these.They all have a cinch type attachment if starting to slide.
Slide down your tree just 3-5 ft and land on a step and see how that works out.