RIT dye to change clothing color

zpearo

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up that it's quite easy to dye most clothes. I found this ultralight REI down vest for a good deal, only problem being that it was blue. Took about 30 minutes and $5 of yellow RIT dye to turn it to a nice green, and now it's a great layer for hunting.

Note that the hot water during the dye process did very slightly shrink the vest's waist, but I stuffed some pillows in it overnight and it stretched back out to the original size.

Attachments

• 20241020_091628.jpg
    20241020_091628.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20241024_132929.jpg
    20241024_132929.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 27

WoodBow

WKR
That's a good call with the whole color wheel approach. I would have definitely just bought green dye.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Just a heads up that it's quite easy to dye most clothes. I found this ultralight REI down vest for a good deal, only problem being that it was blue. Took about 30 minutes and $5 of yellow RIT dye to turn it to a nice green, and now it's a great layer for hunting.

Note that the hot water during the dye process did very slightly shrink the vest's waist, but I stuffed some pillows in it overnight and it stretched back out to the original size.

Getting ready for my first try. Can you share what type of cooking pot or container you used and if it died the container?

Thanks for sharing

OP
zpearo

zpearo

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready for my first try. Can you share what type of cooking pot or container you used and if it died the container?

Thanks for sharing
I used a huge aluminum pot. No staining. Be careful of your counter tops, if they are a color that could stain

ni7ne

FNG
I'm not extremely invested in the idea, but I sleep in the open often enough I have considered trying to rit dye a bright orange inflatable sleeping pad. I don't want to use hot water or ruin the pad. Has anyone tried this?