Rifle Upgrade - Yes, Another 7PRC Thread

I have custom 270 that was given to me years ago but looking to buy a new rifle to add to the safe and to have one that I have owned from day one. I am looking at something that runs a heavier bullet compared to my 270 which I run 150 gr. bullets. I am comfortable out to 400 yards with my 270 but want a cartridge that can reach out a little more as confidence builds but would still limit max range for hunting in that 400-500 yard range.

I do not handload and don't plan to in the foreseeable future so the 7PRC seems like a great cartridge to consider if I am interested in the 7mm or 300 market and don't have any cartridges in that magnum range currently in the gun safe. I am leaning towards a 7mm cartridge for ease of shooting compared to the 300s and have read a lot on the comparisons between the 7 PRC and the 7RM but from what I gather is that if you are a reloader than a 7RM might be a better fit but if you are planning on running factory ammo the 7PRC seems to be a better option. I know there is a lot of great 300WM factory ammo out there too so I am not apposed to the 300WM My struggle is basically picking between the 7PRC and the 300WM.

For what it is worth, I am am looking at picking up a Seekins PH2.

Last edited:
I am comfortable out to 400 yards with my 270 but want a cartridge that can reach out a little more as confidence builds but would still limit max range for hunting in that 400-500 yard range.
If you just want a 7PRC because you want it, then cool. But really none of that requires it. Sounds like a 6mm Creedmoor would be more up your alley. And it would be more pleasant to build your skills up with too.

TaperPin

WKR
I have custom 270 that was given to me years ago but looking to buy a new rifle to add to the safe and to have one that I have owned from day one. I am looking at something that runs a heavier bullet compared to my 270 which I run 150 gr. bullets. I am comfortable out to 400 yards with my 270 but want a cartridge that can reach out a little more as confidence builds but would still limit max range for hunting in that 400-500 yard range.

I do not handload and don't plan to in the foreseeable future so the 7PRC seems like a great cartridge to consider if I am interested in the 7mm or 300 market and don't have any cartridges in that magnum range currently in the gun safe. I am leaning towards a 7mm cartridge for ease of shooting compared to the 300s and have read a lot on the comparisons between the 7 PRC and the 7RM but from what I gather is that if you are a reloader than a 7RM might be a better fit but if you are planning on running factory ammo the 7PRC seems to be a better option. I know there is a lot of great 300WM factory ammo out there too so I am not apposed to the 300WM My struggle is basically picking between the 7PRC and the 300WM.

For what it is worth, I am am looking at picking up a Seekins PH2.
Sounds like you’ve thought through it well. I made the move to a 7mm from 270 in my younger days and haven’t regretted it one bit - the effect on game is noticeably better with a 7mm, and mentally I simply have felt more capable carrying it.

The downside to upgrading to a 7mm is it’s only marginally more powerful than your 270 - that is also a benefit since the difference in recoil is only slightly more, but not a lot. The PRC velocities originally published were based on a powder Hornady no longer is able to source, but it’s my understanding Federal still gets it and has better actual velocities than Hornady ammo. Of course that will change when the war in Ukraine goes away and supplies go back to normal. It could be said the PRC was designed specifically for that one powder (RL26).

Having said all that, a 300 mag is double the upgrade that the 7mm is. If the recoil doesn’t bother you while shooting in the field, it will reach out as far as you’ll ever want to shoot. I wouldn’t want to shoot a 300 for practice, but as a hunting gun that gets sighted in and fired a few times at game it’s not hard to adjust to.