Rifle. To clean or not to clean?

I like it to be fouled for reliable load development intel as well as when I go on a hunt. I clean after 50-60 rounds on my bigger magnums or if I’m going to put it away after hunting season

Lots factors - environment, stainless barrel, usage - make That an interesting question.

taking a cue from some long range shooters, I will clean the carbon out of mine now wand then but I don’t scrub it like I was taught in the military 1000 years ago. That seems to improve barrel life without impacting accuracy.

Unckebob

WKR
I clean after every range session unless it is right before a hunting trip. If I am going hunting, I'll shoot just enough to make sure it is sighted in - then go hunting. After the trip, tge gun gets fully cleaned.

Wrench

WKR
Factory or custom tube? Factory needs to be fouled 99% of the time, inversely a custom does not.....99% of the time. Rarely does it hurt a custom.....assuming it's in the meat of it's happy life and not on either end.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Cleaned as in running a patch through it or cleaned by scrubbing copper out of it? I have a lot of PRS shotting friends and they don't break down and clean until groups start to open up at 200+ shots. For a hunting rifle I would do a deep scrub out of the box and then just shoot it while load testing. Then just run a wet(Hoppes #9) patch through it before putting it up after season to keep it oiled and several dry patches and a few fouling shots before next season starts.

Factory or custom tube? Factory needs to be fouled 99% of the time, inversely a custom does not.....99% of the time. Rarely does it hurt a custom.....assuming it's in the meat of it's happy life and not on either end.
Please explain how and why there is a difference between factory and custom?

I used to over clean. Now I clean only if see accuracy drop off. OR the bore was dropped in dirt/mud/etc.

drra

FNG
I verify still sighted and don't clean until season ends (also tape muzzle to keep barrel clear from rain ...).

ID_Matt

WKR
I would also like to see the data that supports this 99% figure on both ends. Have a hard time believing someone tested a sample of at least 100 barrels to support that.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Factory barrels are not cut with much love at all so they will have more imperfections in the lands. The fouling is going to fill these tooling marks which will help the bullet consistently move down the barrel. The consistency is going to equate to better accuracy shot to shot.

Personally I hate cleaning rifles and we shoot a lot so I am normally 3-400 rounds down a tube before I am cleaning the bore (after break in). I will however clean the neck/throat after every range session just to make sure I do not have a carbon ring form. Once I clean that I will just run the patch down the tube but all that is removing is a little bit of carbon. Once I clean that throat/neck area I will put a borescope in there to check the neck and make sure I have everything out. If the carbon is gone I will use a cotton ball to clean out any solvents that are left in the chamber.

I think people over clean their rifles and it is pretty unnecessary. When hunting season is over and you put the safe queen back in its home, run 1 or 2 dry patches down it to get any moisture or crud out of the barrel and call is good!

I should also add in here that I am running stainless everything! If you have a chromoly barrel then you have to be a little more tedious in making sure it does not rust on you!

ID_Matt

WKR
I scrub my magnums every 50 rounds or so and my smaller rounds (creeds/dashers) every few hundred unless I see accuracy drop then I will do it sooner. My dasher has went several hundred rounds without cleaning and no noticeable drop in accuracy. My SAUM on the other hand needs cleaned every 50 or so.

Wrench

WKR
I would also like to see the data that supports this 99% figure on both ends. Have a hard time believing someone tested a sample of at least 100 barrels to support that.
I'm just some guy on an internet form, but I have done a few things and seen a few more.
My opinion is my own based on my experience.....ps, but I have seen more rifle tubes than the average internet guy.20220627_142833.jpgScreenshot_20220822-090907_Gallery.jpg

@Formidilosus has gone over break in and cleaning at length in other threads. I think he has a .308 that's had over 10k rounds down the tube without a patch or brush.

Dad always taught us boys the military standard of cleaning every time after shooting, even if only a few rounds. I think it makes sense in that context given if the weapon doesn't fire it could mean your life. However, I think for hunting we consistently overcleaned over the years.

IME fouled rifles shoot better. My muzzleloader is most accurate after 3-5 rounds (sabots). I scrub the bore only after it gets too fouled to load easily (BH 209).