Rifle Test & Review: Bergara B14 squared Crest

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
1/26/24 update: @Josh Boyd 's final and full review is up!

@robby denning and I lined up a rifle review for the upcoming season. Bergara sent their new-for-2023 B14 squared Crest rifle in a 6.5 PRC. It's a slick looking rifle with a 20" fluted barrel, a B14 action, and a newly developed carbon fiber stock. You can read more about the rifle here.
RifleScope_01.jpg
RifleScope_02.jpg
@Jim Carr just published a review of the Tract Optics Toric 2.5-15x44 scope and I will be using the same model on the Bergara Crest. You can read is review here. I'll also be sharing my thoughts on the scope as it pertains to my style of hunting. It is a scope that is slightly heavier than I'm used to and I have high hopes for it. It is mounted in @HawkinsPrecision low rings to keep things as low as possible.

equipment.jpg

Stay tuned and ask any questions about the rifle, scope, or rings.
-Josh Boyd

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered that exact gun. Instead I picked up the B14 Ridge Carbon in 6.5 PRC. Will be tooping it with a leupold VX6HD. Haven’t been able to get out with it yet though.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I considered that exact gun. Instead I picked up the B14 Ridge Carbon in 6.5 PRC. Will be tooping it with a leupold VX6HD. Haven’t been able to get out with it yet though.

That was the other rifle available for testing but the Crest was very intriguing. The Ridge Carbon ticks a lot of boxes as a great mountain rifle. Let us know how it performs for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corfius

FNG
Just ordered a crest in 308 for my father. Hopefully it shoots well. Any updates on your review?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just ordered a crest in 308 for my father. Hopefully it shoots well. Any updates on your review?
The rifle has been getting hauled around in the mountains this spring looking for bears. The short barrel has been awesome while strapped to my pack. Tomorrow is another range day to see if anything has changed since my initial set up and testing. Up to this point I have been extremely pleased with the rifle.

thumbnail_IMG_6837.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried any other ammo than Hornady’s Precision Hunter?
I have not used anything else as I have a case of it on hand and it shoots great. For most of my rifles I handload to optimize accuracy and velocity and there is little doubt this rifle would shoot tighter groups with handloads.

For curiosity's sake, I may look in the local gun shop to see if there is something else available to test in this rifle.

Corfius

FNG
Just got my hands on a crest 308. Build quality seems good but I didn't remove dirt and grease from factory yet. Will try to do that and go shoot in the coming week.

Muzzle brake came attached on the rifle from factory. Do they use locktite or something ? It was impossible to remove by hand but I didn't try using an allen wrench yet.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got my hands on a crest 308. Build quality seems good but I didn't remove dirt and grease from factory yet. Will try to do that and go shoot in the coming week.

Muzzle brake came attached on the rifle from factory. Do they use locktite or something ? It was impossible to remove by hand but I didn't try using an allen wrench yet.
I used inserted a screw driver through the holes to break it loose. There was no locktite on my test rifle.

collinjet

FNG
Got mine a few months ago. Got mine in 6.5 Creed and kind of wish I got it in 6.5 PRC. However, I love the rifle. It sits on my dresser in front of my TV because it looks so good!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 20 inch barrel of this rifle has been great while packing in the mountains and I was really curious how it would shoot suppressed. I spent an hour at the range velocity testing and checking accuracy. It gained a few FPS and it shot superb although in order to spot impacts I need to apply firm loading of the bipod with this cartridge.

Here's a group from the session with the TBAC Ultra 5 mounted.

thumbnail_IMG_7037.jpg

Kdc0824

FNG
@robby denning and I lined up a rifle review for the upcoming season. Bergara sent their new-for-2023 B14 squared Crest rifle in a 6.5 PRC. It's a slick looking rifle with a 20" fluted barrel, a B14 action, and a newly developed carbon fiber stock. You can read more about the rifle here.
View attachment 549303
View attachment 549320
@Jim Carr just published a review of the Tract Optics Toric 2.5-15x44 scope and I will be using the same model on the Bergara Crest. You can read is review here. I'll also be sharing my thoughts on the scope as it pertains to my style of hunting. It is a scope that is slightly heavier than I'm used to and I have high hopes for it. It is mounted in @HawkinsPrecision low rings to keep things as low as possible.

View attachment 549321

Stay tuned and ask any questions about the rifle, scope, or rings.
-Josh Boyd
Great looking rig, I put my hands on one today. Would have bought it if it was a 6.5 prc

Corfius

FNG
First 3 shots after zero using old Remington match ammo (168 grains bthp). I had similar results with Terminal Ascent factory ammo.

My father is ready for moose later this month. The gun is lightweight and a pleasure to shoot. The stock is awesome.

Crest 308.

Attachments

• received_2970445253086789.jpeg
    received_2970445253086789.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 134