Rifle Shooting Drills

What are some good drills to help learn how to shoot for a new hunter? What are some drills to help learn how to expand your range?
My wife has decided she wants to try and rifle hunt. I want to start taking her to the range and get some shots and help her gain confidence behind a rifle as she has not shot much. I am curious what are some good drills to go through to help her. Also, I feel like I am stuck at the 500-yard range and am curious about some drills that could help me expand my range (since I will be at the range with the wife might as well shoot some myself).

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you are shooting out to 500 yards with consistence accuracy, I would think you have the knowledge to be able to instruct your wife. Only thing I would say is, start with something like a .22, start at 25 yards and move out to 50-75 as she gains some confidence in her shooting ability. Baby steps.

MJB

WKR
Dry fire a lot and put your trigger on the 1st third of your first finger joint.
Also rest the rest of your finger on the stock so only the first joint is the only part moving.

I would stick to the 100 yard range personally. Master that and go to 50 yard increments, with max being 250-300. Too much can go wrong with a new hunter at further distances. I personally like to raise the heart rate (jog, pushups) then try some shots. Breathing correctly under excitement Is easier said than done.

This one is fun

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Dry fire a lot and put your trigger on the 1st third of your first finger joint.
Also rest the rest of your finger on the stock so only the first joint is the only part moving.
I agree, I still do a lot of dry firing, but never do it with rim fire weapons, never.

def90

WKR
Dry fire, a lot, then go to the range and hand her the rifle, randomly give it to her with a round in the chamber, other times empty. This will go a long way towards getting rid of any flinch.. Otherwise if the end result is hunting/long range shooting there aren't many drills you can do other than just shooting. Throw in some prone and kneeling positions as well.

If you want to learn marksmanship, how to use a sling as well as a history lesson on the Revolutionary War look up an Appleseed shoot near you.

MJB

WKR
You also need to have every part of your body up against a solid object for the most accuracy but that's kind of running down the bunny hole.......but not....

Breathing and a clear mind is hugh for shooting accurately at distance

WKR
I agree with all who advocated dry fire.

The late Jeff Cooper's Art of the Rifle is a good primer. It goes into sling use, competition positions, and field positions.

There are more in depth works, but Art of the Rifle is a good introduction to the subject. Get a copy and have your wife read it. You might get something out of it too.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Dennis

WKR
I think your wife will be best served starting with a quality scoped 22 and positive reinforcement. Something similar to what she might hunt with and lots of ammo. Start with letting her get it sighted at a bench with a solid rest. Let her make her own scope adjustments with your guidance. Then give her some fun targets (cans, small steel silhouette targets, ping pong balls) etc. and shooting from the bench. Make it fun for her to shoot and have success. Once she gains some confidence work on form and shooting positions. Shooting positions might include shooting with rests next, like shooting sticks, bipods, tripods, trees, fence post etc. Next switch to prone, kneeling, sitting, off hand and multiple shoots at multiple targets. She will acquire additional shooting skills like acquiring target in scope and multiple shots for success. Sometimes adding a little time challenge that is generous helps refine the skills. It is not speed but efficiency and her confidence! All of this should be at her pace and interest level. Over time she can start moving up in calibers as her skills and enjoyment increases. I would save my practice for another day and focus on her enjoyment and success!

Axlrod

WKR
I agree, I still do a lot of dry firing, but never do it with rim fire weapons, never.
I have an Anschutz 1710 and a CZ457 (both 22 rimfire) that I use for competition. Have dry fired each many thousands of times. I use #4-6 dry wall anchors in the chamber.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have an Anschutz 1710 and a CZ457 (both 22 rimfire) that I use for competition. Have dry fired each many thousands of times. I use #4-6 dry wall anchors in the chamber.
You are aware of potential issues and taken preventative measures.