Rifle scope cover or caps

Matt G.

WKR
What is everyone's preferred method to protect the rifle scope lenses? Something like scopecoat, stealthy hunters rifle cover, or standard flip cap? Pros and cons to each. This is for mountain rifle setup. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

EcoastDG

FNG
I’ve used both covers and caps.If it’s a day hunt with possible weather I use a scope cover. If I am going to be in the backcountry for a few days I tend to use scope caps. I’ve lost a few scope covers in the woods, lol.

Mag_7s

WKR
I use scopecoat xp-6s. Pros: total protection from minor dings and scratches, helps keep snow, rain and debris out of action and lenses.
Cons: difficult to take off quickly, still get fog on lenses on wet days.

I've run neoprene scope covers before but I find them very annoying to deal with and hate having something I have to fight with if i need the rifle quick.

This year in running nightforce/tennabrex flip up covers. In theory I like this system much better and the tennabrex covers are top notch as far as quality/fitment goes. I could still use a neoprene cover if I was in some real nasty weather just to cover the turrets and scope body.

If the rifle is strapped to my pack it has a scope coat or rifle cover on it. Once it get to where I am going to actually be hunting the cover or scope cost comes off and I use the Tenebraex caps. IMO, Tenebraex is the best option available. Aadaland would be second. After that they are all garbage and not worth buying.

Antares

WKR
Always neoprene for me. I like having the turrets and everything covered up. I'm always plowing through wet brush and grass, it helps keep water and debris of the scope in general.

I run a clear lens cap on the far end of the scope. When carrying in weather it keeps the scope clean and all I have to do is a quick flip to shoot if there is snow or water. In good weather I can see through it for a quick shot and dont touch it. The end of scope your eye is closest to is always down when I carrying on my should or pack and does not need a cover.

Reactions: BLJ

wyosteve

WKR
Scope coat only. Hate caps. But, much of my hunting has been by horseback. Putting in and taking the rifle out of the scabbard is a major PIA with caps opening, dislodged, etc.