Rifle Question

britz1784

FNG
New to posting to the forum. Just doing some preliminary research on a rifle I don't need right now. Looking for a rifle capable hunting brown bear in AK but also could use for moose, caribou, elk. Currently shooting a WBY 6.5 RPM for mule deer and whitetail and just looking for some more knock down power potentially. I also have a range available to practice so can get used to the additional recoil. Thanks in advance for any insight!

AKBorn

WKR
Where are you located? I may be selling a .338 Winchester Magnum sometime in 2024, used it for about a dozen remote Alaska hunts, did my last one this year (posted in the Caribou forum). Not in a hurry, just curious where you are.

You can hunt 90% of Alaska with a 308. With that said a little extra thump on a grizz is probably recommended.

AKDoc

WKR
I agree ^^^.

From what I've seen, 300WM appears to be one of the, if not the, most common rifle cartridge in the field up here in the fall. Going further back...30-06's, 338WM's and 375H&H's were also seen in the line-up. Who knows what the latest and greatest will be in upcoming years. We do know that what has been most commonly used in the past has worked if you do your job as a responsible hunter/shooter, using bullets that penetrate and hold together well.

For me (as an old guy)...I started with a 375H&H over twenty years ago, and after a fortunate number of moose and grizzlies, I still carry it each fall with 270grn TSX handloads.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
30-06 is a good choice, so is the 300. I just recently got rid of my 300 mag, sold the supplies for it and all the ammo I had. 30-06 is going to be my 30cal from here on out.

I like the 375HH too, I have one that’s now basically a custom rifle. I could be talked out of my m70 stainless classic 375 for the right price.

OP
B

britz1784

FNG
Where are you located? I may be selling a .338 Winchester Magnum sometime in 2024, used it for about a dozen remote Alaska hunts, did my last one this year (posted in the Caribou forum). Not in a hurry, just curious where you are.
Indiana

EdP

WKR
I have no real world experience to offer, but I have read similar questions and associated responses over a number of years. Here is a summary:

A 30-06 will get the job done and is very commonly used by Ak residents. More powerfull 30 cals work maybe a bit better.

A 30-06 that you can make a good shot with trumps a .375 H&H that you are afraid of.

The .338 Win Mag was developed with Alaska in mind and is an excellent choice.

Some outfitters mandate a specific minimum. A recent post response on this forum from an outfitter was that the .338 WM was the minimum they would guide a hunter with.

A post response I read years ago was that if you did not use at least a .338 WM, expect the guide to shoot immediately after you do.

My thoughts:

I would not hunt with a guide that planned to shoot after I shot (if I knew it) under any circumstances. The shot and the kill is on me or there is no hunt.

The 30-06 would be my choice if I could hunt as a resident or with a resident family member.

If I could handle the recoil I would use a .375 H&H or .375 Ruger, after that .338 WM. That is only due to the danger of coastal browns. In my mind those are all overkill for elk and especially caribou. The .30's have better long range ballistics and are very effective on elk.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
you need to go to a .338 to meaningfully have more than the 6.5 you already have. But, it isn’t necessary for elk or caribou.

I would do a shorty 16.5” .308 win if I wanted a brown bear or moose caliber. No need for a long barrel or long range for those hunts. Big bullet for penetration if that’s the goal. Personally. I would still run a Berger.

I use my 280 AI for my alaska hunting. I wouldn’t hesitate to use my 6.5 PRC though. I would roll with your 6.5 RPM.