Rifle for elk hunting

elkit

FNG
My vote is for 7mm mag. I recommend getting a caliber you will be comfortable spending time with at the range to dial in accuracy.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed elk with 50 & 54 cal muzzleloaders, 338 Fed, 280, 30-06, 338 Win Mag, 375HH, and am planning on either a 270 or 7mm-08 on my next one. Plenty of cartridges work. Use a good bullet that will get you two holes, hit them in the right spot and then start quartering. My very first elk and my biggest I shot with a 30-06 and a 180gr Winchester Failsafe. It took out both front shoulders so the elk went down within sight but the bullet did not exit. I found it just under the hide. I am a big fan of Barnes TSX or TTSX for this reason. The big 338 and 375 did not kill any faster than the others, just kicked more.

The Guide

WKR
The inability for the common hunter to distinguish between a caliber and a cartridge is astounding. The caliber is the size of the hole the bullet makes in the air and the cartridge is the size of the fireworks holder.

Jay

KenLee

WKR
The inability for the common hunter to distinguish between a caliber and a cartridge is astounding. The caliber is the size of the hole the bullet makes in the air and the cartridge is the size of the fireworks holder.

Jay
The answer is always 30.
Anything else and it's the shooters fault, not the rifle. Cue the fireworks 🎆 🙄 to come.