Rifle Case

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
Need storage for my first rifle, scoped. Any recs on hard/soft? I was looking at snagging a $50 hard Plano one, I don't think I need anything crazy like the pelicans?? I'm just storing it in house and taking it to range and hunt with. Any reason why I'd want a soft one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft cases are really nice for throwing into a backseat because they conform better. I like the protection/lock options of a hard case though.

If you’re ok with used, all of the Pelican rifle cases have been great for me. You can pick up a good condition surplus one for a little more than the Plano and it has a lifetime warranty from Pelican.

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
Soft cases are really nice for throwing into a backseat because they conform better. I like the protection/lock options of a hard case though.

If you’re ok with used, all of the Pelican rifle cases have been great for me. You can pick up a good condition surplus one for a little more than the Plano and it has a lifetime warranty from Pelican.

What makes the Pelicans so much better? Out of curiosity. I'm usually one to buy name brand bc I think it's a better investment but when I looked at the two they are both hard plastic with foam inserts.... I'm not sure what justifies spending like $250 more for a new one. If it's only $50 more for a good condition used one I'd definitely go that route just for resell ability.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say if you're just going to range and hunting (local) then the Plano, Cabelas, Harbor Freight etc. are all good choices. I use soft cases for those occasions and store in safe when not in use. If you're going to be throwing them in the belly of an airplane I'd go with the Pelican.

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
I'd say if you're just going to range and hunting (local) then the Plano, Cabelas, Harbor Freight etc. are all good choices. I use soft cases for those occasions and store in safe when not in use. If you're going to be throwing them in the belly of an airplane I'd go with the Pelican.

Sounds good, I'd consider hard but I don't have a gun safe so I want some solid storage for at home. In case it falls over or something drops on it etc.

What makes the Pelicans so much better? Out of curiosity. I'm usually one to buy name brand bc I think it's a better investment but when I looked at the two they are both hard plastic with foam inserts.... I'm not sure what justifies spending like $250 more for a new one. If it's only $50 more for a good condition used one I'd definitely go that route just for resell ability.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Plano or comparable cases. Pelicans are just tanks. Latches are great, don’t tend to warp in the sun, almost impervious to abuse (even if you pick up a 20 year old GWOT special). And if you do manage to break one, Pelican just sends you another.

I agree with @sjwfarms. It really depends on what you think you’ll need the case for.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
So I look at it this way. The Plano’s will do fine. They even have some heavier duty cases. The Pelicans are that much nicer and definitely more robust. The warranty also is worth the extra cost of the case. You can order different foam inserts and cut them to fit the shape of multiple rifles. I’ll swap out an insert when using a different rifle. The main thing I don’t like about my Pelican is that it’s heavy. I also use soft cases going to and from the range or hunting.

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
So I look at it this way. The Plano’s will do fine. They even have some heavier duty cases. The Pelicans are that much nicer and definitely more robust. The warranty also is worth the extra cost of the case. You can order different foam inserts and cut them to fit the shape of multiple rifles. I’ll swap out an insert when using a different rifle. The main thing I don’t like about my Pelican is that it’s heavy. I also use soft cases going to and from the range or hunting.

How do you go about cutting the foam? I feel like if I do it it'd look like shit haha. Using a pocket knife or some shit

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I use an electric serrated carving knife. I’ll lay the rifle down on the foam and outline it then cut it out. You can use a regular serrrated bread knife also. It just easier with the electric one. It’s pretty easy to do

croben

WKR
I generally use a soft case or my backpack going from home to the range. If I’m traveling any significant distance and/or packing a bunch of other stuff with it I usually use a hard pelican case.

If you will never fly a cheaper plastic case with foam will very likely work for you. Hardware, hinges and latches are the biggest difference. If it wont stay latched because those broke or went to hell on you the case is worthless.

If you fly I highly suggest a pelican. Airline travel can be very tough on hard luggage.

I use my soft cases for travel if I’m driving my truck regardless if its 5 miles or 1000. They protect well
and take up less space.

Soft cases will protect your rifles and shotguns in the closet just fine.

I would suggest buying both, a Pelican and a soft case. At home the Pelican is great protection in lieu of a safe, though not as secure. Plus you'll have it if you ever do a hunt that involves air travel. The soft case will work well for trips to the range and hunts where you'll be driving.

I increasingly find myself using a soft case. They’re just handier and easier to put in the back seat of the truck. That said, I’ve been very tempted by the Apache gun case from Harbor Freight. I believe it has the pick and pull foam which makes it very easy to customize for your rifle. No tools required. I do have an Apache for pistols. I think it was like $40. A creative approach with the pick and pull foam lets me transport 4 at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_6465.jpeg
    IMG_6465.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 18

Lawnboi

WKR
Only time I use a hard case is when it’s going in the truck bed with a bunch of other stuff.

Otherwise it’s a soft case. I hate lugging around hard cases.

I’d think about how you’re going to transport it for the most part and buy what’s going to work better.

If it’s just going in the cab of a truck/suv I would buy an Armageddon gear or triad tactical soft case and call it day.

rayporter

WKR
storing your rifle at home in a hard case can damage it. the foam can pull moisture and cause rust. i have seen two stainless barrels with the waffle pattern of the foam on them.

Like backpacks, you'll fill up a case with stuff.
The Pelican and Apache (HF) that are about the same size weigh about the same.
Adding in the rifle, can, wrenches, bino's, few full mags and you're easily hauling around 50#.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
462nd vote for both. Soft for day to day or closet storage etc and nothing beats Pelican for travel. Easy to buy extra foam inserts that you can carve to match each gun and enough room to place ammo and clips etc.

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
storing your rifle at home in a hard case can damage it. the foam can pull moisture and cause rust. i have seen two stainless barrels with the waffle pattern of the foam on them.

How should you store it at home then? In a soft case? I don’t have the money for a gun safe or cabinet right now. The rifle in question was stored under my dad’s bed in the box it originally was bought in since 1988 and it looks in good condition. I ended up putting a layer of feed n wax on it and it looks good to go.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aus_bowhunter