Long Rifle Hard Case options?, Case Club...?

Swandive

FNG
Looking at long Rifle cases.
Recently looking at pelican 1750, vault v770, vault v800, Apache 9800, and similar SKB cases. Curious if anyone has experience with "case club" rifle cases. There is a dense close cell foam (Polyethylene) that you can get.
I saw a recent you tube video by pilotpatriot doing a review of their 53" long case. It looked like a great budget option compared for the price.

Anyone have experience?
Curious why I have never heard of this brand, or if that is just me.

Interested in your long Rifle case feedback.
I would love a pelican 1750, but have a hard time spending ($350) that large of my hunting budget on a hard case just for elitist great if there is a perfectly great functioning option for the price.

Own two pelicans they’re great for airline travel. Some guys speak well of the harbor freight knock offs.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Apache by harbor freight. Got it on sale for $119. Took it to AK in the (uncovered) bed of my truck (7500 miles round trip) no damage or effect on scope. Highly recommend.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve used the Pelican cases, both the 17xx series and the Vault series to fly all over. The vault series are great at the price point, the only problem is the single rifle case doesn’t have wheels but the double does. The vault series are bulkier than the 17xx series pelicans for what it’s worth.

I’ve custom cut my own foam with fillet knife and I’ve removed a layer of foam and packed rifles in soft cases. Both options work well. The new magpul modular system is a good reason to stick to pelican cases over Apache.

If you aren’t flying don’t use such huge cases. Just use good soft cases or cheaper slimmer plastic ones. I don’t get guys using pelican cases to drive to the range which I see all the time.

2531usmc

WKR
I have a Pelican and, in theory, they are the top of the line in gun cases. But Harbor Freight has an identical line of gun cases at a fraction of the cost

Pelican are awesome but $$$$ and heavy. I find myself using $150 iseries SKB cases more often. They aren’t as bombproof but offer plenty of protection and are much lighter than pelicans.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Apache by harbor freight. Got it on sale for $119. Took it to AK in the (uncovered) bed of my truck (7500 miles round trip) no damage or effect on scope. Highly recommend.

+1 for the Apache. I bought mine for $95 one time with a couple coupons.

I carry my Swarovski ATX in one. I trust it explicitly with $5k of optics in it. Excellent.

Also have a long gun case & it's just as robust.

I sold Pelicans & other airplane strength cases, shoot with guys who have all different kinds & they're good too. But why spend more for the same thing?

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an old Cabela's aluminum/SS? case that has been on a LOT of flights.
It's got wheels and a fold out shelf I can put my luggage on when rolling around.
Looks like Hades but still going strong. I need to scrub all the TSA stickers off it.
Thing has to be over 20 years old.

1750 and don't look back. Worth it to me to protect my rifles. Spend to much time taking PTO and cost of the out of state tags. I've had mine 10 years and it's been on multiple flights and rides in the back of the truck.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I used a Cabelas aluminum for years and it was good, but it doesn't have wheels. So last year I picked up a Nanuk which is similar to a Pelican. Made in Canada. Not light or cheap, but has wheels and is very well made.

1moaway

FNG
+2

Mines been great. Super solid and made in the USA. We can’t complain about having no USA/NA manufacturing, then buy Chinese junk when it comes time to spend our money.
+3 for the 1750

If you look around you can generally get a good deal on a used one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Wheeled cases are a game changer. I used to think I didn’t need wheels until I used a case with them. I bought 2 pelicans with wheels right away.

It’s like the zipper on simms waders, I used to think I didn’t need it and it wasn’t worth the money. Then I tried it.