Rifle carrier

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Is that the stock length of the tube Luke? I think my mountain rifle has a little longer tube than the one in your pic. I added a muzzle break to mine and didn't take anything off of it, so my tube is now about 26.5" in length. Anyway, when I carry it like you do it sticks up quite a bit more. I think that maybe I keep the stock butt a little higher up on my hip also. It definitely doesn't look like you would have the issues that I've had carrying it that way.

Yeah nearly all my hunting rifles have barrels that are 21" or shorter. Just handier in the brush and I don't miss the extra FPS given the ranges I shoot at. But I do enjoy the handiness of the rifles in the brush. The grizz in the pic didn't seem to care that the 325 WSM was only an 18" barrel and shot from over 330 yards away ;)

Brad is correct its a gun slinger corral I modified to hold it more secure than the simple snap they come with.

Here is a little video showing how it works....

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/alaska_lanche/media/Riflecarrynosound_zps7b2801ed.mp4.html

Yeah nearly all my hunting rifles have barrels that are 21" or shorter. Just handier in the brush and I don't miss the extra FPS given the ranges I shoot at. But I do enjoy the handiness of the rifles in the brush. The grizz in the pic didn't seem to care that the 325 WSM was only an 18" barrel and shot from over 330 yards away ;)

Brad is correct its a gun slinger corral I modified to hold it more secure than the simple snap they come with.

Here is a little video showing how it works....

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/alaska_lanche/media/Riflecarrynosound_zps7b2801ed.mp4.html

Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't see how the barrel was attached to the pack frame... or is it just sitting between the frame and your back?
I didn't get audio in the clip, so I apologize if you stated it in the clip and i missed it.

Dammlm

FNG
^^^^^ what he said. I was wondering the same thing. How did you attach it to your belt Luke? ^^^^^

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The clip has no audio so you aren't missing anything. The barrel is slid through a loop of elastic cord that is around the top of the frame stay of the pack. The stock is attached to the belt via a modified version of the corral gunslinger.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait Luke, Becca's rifle didn't come of that easy! HAHA

What are you talking about? It came off easily once you stopped trying to "help" me with it :)

In fact the whiplash I got during that little episode should be a testament to how securely the gunslinger holds the rifle until you intentionally remove it. AK alder patches have nothing on Ryan Avery when it comes to trying to shake lose a rifle...

Last edited:

wyodan

WKR
I use the same system as Luke. I prefer it over the gun bearer. The pistol grip is attached to the hip belt, and keeps the rifle very stable. It is also reasonably easy to get the rifle off of the pack, and the rifle is kept out of the line of sight at all times.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use the same system as Luke. I prefer it over the gun bearer. The pistol grip is attached to the hip belt, and keeps the rifle very stable. It is also reasonably easy to get the rifle off of the pack, and the rifle is kept out of the line of sight at all times.

Just don't bother with that silly strap they supply ya with for attaching the barrel to the pack...less than worthless. As is the snap button to keep the stock secured the the gunslinger on the waistbelt. Upgrading the snap to a buckle is a must IMO. Too many times it came loose in the brush before fixing that aspect as well. Far from a perfect product as its sold, but with a little effort it works very well for me.

wyodan

WKR
Just don't bother with that silly strap they supply ya with for attaching the barrel to the pack...less than worthless. As is the snap button to keep the stock secured the the gunslinger on the waistbelt. Upgrading the snap to a buckle is a must IMO. Too many times it came loose in the brush before fixing that aspect as well. Far from a perfect product as its sold, but with a little effort it works very well for me.

Luke, do you have a method for attaching that thing to a regular MOLLE belt, like the ones on the Kifaru packs now? It's easy with the old style Duplex belt, but I haven't found a good attachment to the new ones.

I've posted this before in another thread but this is what works for me. I leave a space inbetween the 3 bar sliders so the weight of the rifle is not on the same stitching. The run one of the higher pack straps over the rifle. It holds the rifle secure and can be removed with one hand while wearing the pack.
ac91181ec2b4022e9372aeb8cffd67e5_zps0e161aa6.jpg

88362260fdd3ecfa8af28a6b57797c3e_zps33700d4c.jpg

Luke,

I was actually going to get the Gun Bearer for my Icon Pro 3200, but I kinda like the solid platform of the Gun Slinger. I will primarily be using when hiking during muzzleloader, but kinda like the idea of the forward carry of the GB. Any ideas on a way to do the Slinger in forward carry with quick release? Maybe just buy the GB upper and try to adjust the GS for an angled carry?

Matt

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Matt if you are wanting the forward carry of the gun bearer I would simply buy the gun bearer. It works well for what you are looking at doing.

The gunslinger shines for carrying it behind you IMO. Both work just depends on your preferences.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I only use the holster part which is $50, but yeah I bought mine for $40 like 4+ years ago. Of course you couldn't get me to pay money for another gun bearer. I tried to like it and just can't. No wrong way about it, just has to work for your preferences.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've posted this before in another thread but this is what works for me. I leave a space inbetween the 3 bar sliders so the weight of the rifle is not on the same stitching. The run one of the higher pack straps over the rifle. It holds the rifle secure and can be removed with one hand while wearing the pack.
ac91181ec2b4022e9372aeb8cffd67e5_zps0e161aa6.jpg

88362260fdd3ecfa8af28a6b57797c3e_zps33700d4c.jpg
\

I like the looks of this Mike!!!

I might have to see if my local seamstres (my wife) can rig me up like that to give a whirl. Should work nicely on the PALS webbing on the waistbelt of my pack too.

Matt if you are wanting the forward carry of the gun bearer I would simply buy the gun bearer. It works well for what you are looking at doing.

The gunslinger shines for carrying it behind you IMO. Both work just depends on your preferences.
Okay Luke, maybe I'll have to run up to Westminster and see if the guys at Kifaru can help me get it to fit how I want on my Icon Pro 3200. I just wouldn't be using it over any long distances and just want it for my day hunting setup. I agree, for rear carry the slinger sure looks like the way to go.

Got a gunslinger corral for my birthday this week and am impressed with how much of the weight it appears to transfer to the pack! Question, could someone who has added a buckle in addition to the snap explain/show how they did it? Are you running a new strap or using the existing, how are you attaching the buckle to the corral?

Nuther Gunbearer fan here, rifle and bow!

[video=youtube;h7B_iiglCtQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7B_iiglCtQ[/video]