Rifle carrier

robtattoo

WKR
Someone at some point posted a very neat, simple rifle carry set up, I believe attached to an Exo pack.
Can anyone remember it & possibly link me to the thread?
I seem to recall he offered to make them available for sale & I'm in the market....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the thread was deleted but maybe not.uploadfromtaptalk1433301925571.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433301954646.jpg these were not made by me but look put together well. looks fairly simple to put together but that buckle is pretty pricey so you end up close to the cost to buy something. Gun bearer is a patented product FYI

I believe the thread was deleted but maybe not.View attachment 25670View attachment 25671 these were not made by me but look put together well. looks fairly simple to put together but that buckle is pretty pricey so you end up close to the cost to buy something. Gun bearer is a patented product FYI

I remember now, it was deleted because the guy starting selling them on here.

Nuke Man

WKR
Not sure if this would work for you but it worked great for me. I got some Gear Ties from Nite Ize. Looped them through the molle webbing on the side of my mountain warrior and twisted them around the rifle. Held it nice and secure and wasn't too bad getting it off the pack.

JG358

WKR
Gun Bearer can carry the gun in front or behind right?

Its designed to have the rifle sit with a forward cant under your arm but its easy enough to strap the barrel to the bag instead of the shoulder strap if youd prefer it behind you.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a question for you gun bearer guys. How do you set it up/pack your pack so the weight of the rifle on your belt/shoulder strap doesn't pull your backpack off to that side? I made a DYI gun bearer last fall. It holds my rifle securely and I get the gun into action pretty quickly. But the setup feels pretty uncomfortable to wear for extended periods, because it unbalances my pack to have about nine pounds strapped off the front on one side. If I could get it to carry comfortably, that would be huge.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Put your water bladder on the other side of your pack or something. 3 liters weights 6 pds.. plenty to offset that. Also turn your rifle over. scope down. gets it more better lol outta your face. FYI the bolt handle in your side problems don't exist.... trust me.. :)

colonel00

WKR
I haven't used a gun bearer so I'm no expert but plan to get one or make my own. With that said, I thought the whole point was to attach the bottom to your belt to support all of the weight and then the top strap would just pull your shoulder strap forward. I didn't think there should be a whole lot of pull on the pack itself. Perhaps some added weight on that side of the belt but the setup should be free and clear of the bag.

JG358

WKR
Here's a question for you gun bearer guys. How do you set it up/pack your pack so the weight of the rifle on your belt/shoulder strap doesn't pull your backpack off to that side? I made a DYI gun bearer last fall. It holds my rifle securely and I get the gun into action pretty quickly. But the setup feels pretty uncomfortable to wear for extended periods, because it unbalances my pack to have about nine pounds strapped off the front on one side. If I could get it to carry comfortably, that would be huge.

Are you attaching the cradle to your bag or yourhip belt? I don't notice any difference in the way my pack rides weather I'mcarrying a rifle or not.

Last edited:
Are you ataching the cradle to your bag or your hip belt? I don't notice any difference in the way my pack rides weither I'm carrying a rifle or not.
My feelings also. I really like the way the Gun Bearer carries my rifle, especially when bushwhacking up the side of a mountain. Having the barrel coming up under my armpit and in front of me is just way easier to deal with than having it stick straight up above the pack catching on every damn snag that I'm climbing under. The one issue I've had with it is, I wish it would keep my rifle upright. I like to have my scope kind of tucked under my arm for added protection (so far I haven't had any issues with my scope getting bumped/damaged, but I really don't like it hanging down and possibly getting damaged when I'm fighting through brush), but it continually wants to roll over and hang scope down. Along with my scope being vulnerable, when this happens the bolt handle wants to dig into or bang against my thigh, which is very irritating. I think with a little bit of time and tweaking, I could probably figure something out to alleviate this problem, I just haven't taken the time to do it. Anyone have a quick fix for this? Oh, and I have the saddle, that my stock fits into, attached to my hip belt.

JG358

WKR
I just had to play around with the shoulder strap atachment a bit. After I got that figured out, it stays put pretty well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My rifle doesn't stick up that much higher than the top of my pack. Still unclips in a hurry if I need it right now. Been using this setup since 2010 and like it a lot. I tried like heck to warm up to the gun bearer and just couldn't do it.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
What you got that mounted in Luke?
That's exactly how I want to carry, but still have quick access.

My rifle doesn't stick up that much higher than the top of my pack. Still unclips in a hurry if I need it right now. Been using this setup since 2010 and like it a lot. I tried like heck to warm up to the gun bearer and just couldn't do it.

Is that the stock length of the tube Luke? I think my mountain rifle has a little longer tube than the one in your pic. I added a muzzle break to mine and didn't take anything off of it, so my tube is now about 26.5" in length. Anyway, when I carry it like you do it sticks up quite a bit more. I think that maybe I keep the stock butt a little higher up on my hip also. It definitely doesn't look like you would have the issues that I've had carrying it that way.