Rifle Accuracy Problems

Looked for any advice or paths to go down to solve some rifle accuracy issues. I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Carbon that I am planning on going hunting with this November in Montana for Elk. I broke the barrel in, and got the gun sighted in (using Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr, Optics: Vortex Viper 6-24x50) and everything was shooting well. I went to a friends cabin and was shooting steel at 450yds to practice and was 100% for the weekend. I came home and tried shooting at steel at 450yds again and was 0%. I went to the range to see if the zero was off, and found out that not only was it off, the new group size for the gun was around 10in at 200yds. I switched the scope to a Vortex Razor 3-15x42 and tried to zero it at 200yds again, and had the same 10in group size. All the bench shooting was done of a rifle rest and the shots felt very comfortable with zero flinch. I went back to the range with my .223 to make sure it wasn't me, and I didn't have the yips, but had a group that was sub 2.5in at 200yds, so I felt comfortable I wasn't the reason for the accuracy issues. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the accuracy could have changed in the rifle? It was a very accurate rifle up until recently.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Bergara and Vortex combo is a rough starting point, sorry to say it. Lot's of things to narrow down before you start blaming any "one thing"...

The answer here is "D" not enough information. Start from the start... Review the thread below carefully, tear down your gun if you have to in order to ensure it's correct.

Once this is done, post here and we can move forward with diagnosing further.

Seeknelk

WKR
+1 First double check all fasteners. Did you degrease and loktite/ paint pen the ring and mount screws?
Check the action screw torque...is it at least 45 inch pounds, I'd go higher myself. 65 ish. Not sure of their specs on that but if it can't handle that torque that sucks.

OP
O
+1 First double check all fasteners. Did you degrease and loktite/ paint pen the ring and mount screws?
Check the action screw torque...is it at least 45 inch pounds, I'd go higher myself. 65 ish. Not sure of their specs on that but if it can't handle that torque that sucks.
The bases were up to scpe, just checked the action screws and they were very loose. Never wopuld have thought about that... thanks for the info. Guess its back to the range!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The bases were up to scpe, just checked the action screws and they were very loose. Never wopuld have thought about that... thanks for the info. Guess its back to the range!
Do yourself a favor and and degrease those screws and then paint pen them in with good torque. Not sure what torque works for Bergaras but Sakos and Tikkas I use 65” lbs.

OP
O
Bergara and Vortex combo is a rough starting point, sorry to say it. Lot's of things to narrow down before you start blaming any "one thing"...

The answer here is "D" not enough information. Start from the start... Review the thread below carefully, tear down your gun if you have to in order to ensure it's correct.

Once this is done, post here and we can move forward with diagnosing further.
Thanks for the info. Before heading the range I will complete all of these steps and report back. Just curious why Bergara and Vortex is a rough starting point?

The Guide

WKR
Thanks for the info. Before heading the range I will complete all of these steps and report back. Just curious why Bergara and Vortex is a rough starting point?
Inconsistent and often unrepeatable. Some are great but many have issues. Drop tests on Vortex scopes have shown they fail to hold zero. Bergara rifles have had some questionable QC at times and many rifles need to be worked over to fix problems.

Jay