RG 480 End of September

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthomas29

FNG
Alaskan resident here planning to hunt the registration area for mountain goat the first week of October. Just curious if anyone on here has hunted kodiak that time of year and would be willing to give me advice as far as gear you would or wouldn't take and also what the deer hunting is like around that time? Are the goats still way up high or have they started moving down? Any info would be great as I have never hunted Kodiak. Thanks in advance

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Goats will be high deer will be where you find them. Early Oct is the toughest time of year to hunt blacktails in my experience.

Good luck! Shoot a nanny and a billy!

Done it the first week of November. Goats were still high then. Snow was an issue (for me, not the goats) at that point, but October should be fine. Do not leave the tent without CRAMPONS. When the grass dies and lays over, it's a fast way to injury in bad weather. Trekking poles or a walking ice axe is also super handy. Otherwise, it's just regular wet and cold camping gear.

We established a base low with a larger tent and spiked up high. The low camp gave us a place to dry out occasionally. Didn't bother with a heater, but brought a propone lantern and that kept the dome tent plenty warm.

OP
K

kthomas29

FNG
Thanks for the info so far, I'm not sure if my PM is working yet, may not have my 10 posts, but if either of you would be willing to answer some more specific questions PM me please. Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.