Reviving a Remington 721

BC97

FNG
I recently inherited a Remington 721 in .300 H&H mag. Scarcity of that cartridge aside, I’d like to breathe some new life into this rifle without having to make any major modifications that would take away from its otherwise original condition. Main areas I’m looking for are some modern mounts for scope rings (thinking pic rails) and a replacement for the pad on the buttstock, which is completely dried out.

Anyone done something similar or have recommendations on where to look? I’m unsure how to remove the existing buttstock padding and I’m hoping pic rails exist with the right dimensions for the holes already tapped into the weapon. Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 49

E.Shell

FNG
Can't tell you about the pad, but the rail will be the same as a Remington 700 Long Action. EGW is a pretty decent rail and less costly than most. This link is for one with no slope (0 MOA):

This link is for a 20 MOA base:

TaperPin

WKR
What a great gun! I think the 300 H&H is a great classic cartridge.

Yes, the scope base is normal Rem 700.

Recoil pads often have an exacto knife cuts where the screws are and aren’t visible unless you push hard on the rubber, but they are in there.

SDHNTR

WKR
Any 700 bases will work. Pull that old pad off and have a gunsmith grind to fit a nice Pachmayr Decellerator in your choice of color.

OP
BC97

BC97

FNG
Can't tell you about the pad, but the rail will be the same as a Remington 700 Long Action. EGW is a pretty decent rail and less costly than most. This link is for one with no slope (0 MOA):

This link is for a 20 MOA base:
I’d never heard of this brand, thank you!

OP
BC97

BC97

FNG
What a great gun! I think the 300 H&H is a great classic cartridge.

Yes, the scope base is normal Rem 700.

Recoil pads often have an exacto knife cuts where the screws are and aren’t visible unless you push hard on the rubber, but they are in there.
I’m excited to get it up and running! Any recommendations for equipment for doing my own reloads? I’m thinking that will be the most economic/reliable way to keep a supply of ammunition going

TaperPin

WKR
I’m excited to get it up and running! Any recommendations for equipment for doing my own reloads? I’m thinking that will be the most economic/reliable way to keep a supply of ammunition going
It really hard to beat the price of a reloading package from any of the major brands that include most of what’s required - all the little stuff really adds up quickly if you try to buy it separately. I grew up with RCBS so all their gear just feels comfortable to me, but there is nothing wrong with any of the major brands. A new basic bare bones RCBS kit is $275ish - a kit with slight upgrade in press and including a few more things that makes life easier is $450ish. Hornady, Lyman, or Redding will be similar. Lee has a reloading kit for $225ish.

There’s nothing wrong with gathering used gear - very few reloading tools ever wear out. Just make sure it’s complete and not damaged.

deadwolf

WKR
I have a Remington 721 in 30.06 that was my great grandfathers. It has killed a few caribou and a moose…I keep wanting to give it an update and keep using it, but haven’t jumped on it yet. Gonna keep tabs on this thread to see what becomes of yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Oh, I’d also highly recommend swapping out the trigger. The factory one can be dangerous, I’m sure you’ve seen the CNBC drama.

Last edited:
Take some Vaseline and shove the screw holes full on the buttstock pad. It allows those screws to back out of the pad.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s funny, the 300 H&H 721 barrel by itself today is worth twice what the entire rifle sold for new. I think there was one barrel that sold for nearly $400. Many H&H barrels up for sale have had the chamber opened up to 300 Wby, so an original unmolested H&H is very nice to have. There’s one barrel on eBay that never sells because it’s trashed. :)

OP
BC97

BC97

FNG
It’s funny, the 300 H&H 721 barrel by itself today is worth twice what the entire rifle sold for new. I think there was one barrel that sold for nearly $400. Many H&H barrels up for sale have had the chamber opened up to 300 Wby, so an original unmolested H&H is very nice to have. There’s one barrel on eBay that never sells because it’s trashed. :)
I’m definitely keeping it H&H!

The 300 h&h is an awesome caliber, but does tend to be a reloader’s option. Factory ammo can be scarce.

Great old rifle too! Keep us posted.