Retractable blade knives

I’m just saying what I’ve seen from being a dealer. I’ve never sent back more of anything than microtech knives. Most of the time from normal use. They just aren’t meant for rugged application. They tell you they are and show silly torture testing, but the return rate on these is horrible. I wouldn’t daily carry one if I was in any sort of labor field or line of work where reliability is important.

They’re great for the office or just opening packages. Sure I was exaggerating slightly by saying opening letters, but I really wasn’t far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I've had many and had to send some back :) My point was that Benchamde OTFs are even worse from a quality standpoint.

Once I bought a microtech bit and did my own cleaning, reliability improved dramatically for me. I would never want to use one for bloody or sandy/dirty work tho that's for sure!

Indeed. And microtech’s suggested cleaning method works perfect for standard operation issues due to regular carry.

Rem oil liberally applied to inside of knife (fill it up)

Compressed air and wipe until dry.

I’d say 75% of customer returns were solved by us once we started offering this as a basic service in the shop. We did it for $5 while the customer waited.

intunegp

WKR
Indeed. And microtech’s suggested cleaning method works perfect for standard operation issues due to regular carry.

Rem oil liberally applied to inside of knife (fill it up)

Compressed air and wipe until dry.

I’d say 75% of customer returns were solved by us once we started offering this as a basic service in the shop. We did it for $5 while the customer waited.

You've kinda come full circle now lol. They started out as letter openers and everyone was returning them to now 75% were fixed with the basic/recommended maintenance. Just reiterating the point that being an OTF doesn't make it fragile in use. You can do any task with an OTF that you could do with any other folding knife, sometimes they just require a little more care to stay up and running.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have a 2007 Troodon that I have carried and used regularly ever since then and it has never misfired or failed to close. I cleaned/oiled it once in like 2019 because I was bored. I also have an Ultratech from like 2018 that has never failed or been cleaned/lubed.

All that said, it's not like I'm some OTF fanboy or anything. They're neat, and I own a few, and I'll probably buy more, but most days I have a manual opening knife in my pocket.

You've kinda come full circle now lol. They started out as letter openers and everyone was returning them to now 75% were fixed with the basic/recommended maintenance. Just reiterating the point that being an OTF doesn't make it fragile in use. You can do any task with an OTF that you could do with any other folding knife, sometimes they just require a little more care to stay up and running.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have a 2007 Troodon that I have carried and used regularly ever since then and it has never misfired or failed to close. I cleaned/oiled it once in like 2019 because I was bored. I also have an Ultratech from like 2018 that has never failed or been cleaned/lubed.

All that said, it's not like I'm some OTF fanboy or anything. They're neat, and I own a few, and I'll probably buy more, but most days I have a manual opening knife in my pocket.

No, I added info. That other 25% where we sent them back is still a huge number compared to other brands or types of knives. We probably sent back 5-10 microtechs a month. Do they endure abuse sometimes? Yes. There are plenty out there that hold up. It’s just a higher risk for failure than other types of knives.

intunegp

WKR
No, I added info. That other 25% where we sent them back is still a huge number compared to other brands or types of knives. We probably sent back 5-10 microtechs a month. Do they endure abuse sometimes? Yes. There are plenty out there that hold up. It’s just a higher risk for failure than other types of knives.

My point is the failure isn't caused by what you use the knife for, it's the nature of the beast. Springs failing inside the knife aren't caused by using it too hard. You probably sent back just as many that were letter openers and desk toys as ones that were used and abused.

Interesting the preference for microtech over benchmade here. I felt the opposite and sold my only mircrotech ultratech. Ive never had an issue with my pagan or infidel and i carry one of them almost daily for over 5 years