¿Results .284 143 Hammer Hunter?

LightFoot

WKR
What are your results with this bullet?
Impact velocity?

Loading some up around 3000+ for deer. Thinking about using them for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3100 FPS out of my 280 ackley improved with a 22 inch barrel. Load was super easy to develop. Their BC doesn’t seem to be as high as stated though.

MThuntr

WKR
I've not calculated actual BC but had dope chart before I changed brass. With 3168 at muzzle I was at the 1800fps min out to 800 yards so I suspect you'd be good to go out to 700. I've killed elk to 475 so impact velocity was north of 2200 with performance as expected and bullet went through with pieces hitting heart and pass through. Same year mule deer buck at 200 pass through proper exist hole. Moose at 125 yards destroyed both joints below scapula but ruined very little meat...shot 3 times with 2 bullets found under skin on offside shoulder. I shoot until down with those big animals.

Something like 15 whitetail does out to 300 yards best example was a doe whitetail in 2020 at 275 yards...copper piece hit heart and one went 90 degrees to impact and hit the spine...hit the dirt.

I've experienced the bullet hollow point to go into 4 to 7 pieces with the base continuing through the animal.

I’m running a mild 3350 from an STW. Killed 5-6 elk and at least as many deer. They don’t drop on the spot but never go more than 50ish yards and I don’t have to be extremely selective with my shot angles. I see an animal I want to shoot and make the shot. 2700 fps is probably my lowest impact.
I’ve run them up to almost 3700 but my rifle is much more controllable at 3350.
I’ve also used the 136 sledge hammer for close range and carrying in the chamber when a shot is imminent. Works just as well same powder charge and seating die setting.

30 cal 152 sledge hammer last year I shot a 150” buck that was broadside around 100 yards. In reality he was turning away and down off the trail we were on but that happened between my sight picture at the shot and impact. Bullet went in next to belly button and angled up through to offside front shoulder. Certainly not my intended shot but he didn’t go 50 yards downhill.
That type of scenario or situation is why I use a more solid bullet and the best I have found are hammers. No option to wait for a different shot and my mind saw a broadside buck standing still so I shot.

Northpark

WKR
Not a .284 143 hammer hunter but Ive shot three pigs and two deer from 60-400 yards with the .284 140gr absolute hammer at 3003fps and it drops everything very cleanly. I’ve also shot a bunch of stuff from javelina to elk with the 199gr .308 hammer hunter at 3090fps but that’s a bit apple to oranges comparison.

skeptic

FNG
Shot a few cow elk and just recently a small bull with the 124 hammer hunter out of my 6.5 PRC. One thing I noticed is these bullets really hold together and I get an entrance and an exit every time (at least at ranges between 300-600). Velocity is 3030. My last elk I shot right behind the shoulder and I didn't hit any ribs. The bullet went clean through and hit both lungs, but the elk ran about 80 yards and then laid down. Expired in about 3-5 minutes.

The only thing I have "dropped" is a mountain goat, and that shot was high in the lungs, but right under the spine. Must have been close enough to it to get the dramatic drop in it's tracks effect.

I don't think there is a "perfect" bullet. I used to shoot the berger hybrids out of about everything, and I did see them produce some pretty spectacular damage. The thing I didn't like is I would find pieces of the bullet about everywhere inside the animal and would lose almost an entire front shoulder quite often if I hit near it.

I am going to stick with the hammers and maybe try some different shot placements in ideal circumstances.

I know this is an old thread…..but my son and I used the 143 hammer hunter out of a 7 saum on a large bull elk last year. Shot was just under 200 yards and muzzle velocity was 3033. Found 5 exit wounds from a classic broadside lung shot. Elk looked stunned and dropped after about 5 seconds without a follow up shot. Very pleased with the results.

rootacres

WKR
3035 fps out of my 7 SAUM. . . 425 yd shot on a coues . . ~2300 fps impact velocity.

These bullets were very accurate for me. Watched my first shot land behind the shoulder, deer stayed on his feet. Aimed high shoulder on the follow up, deer dropped. The first shot exit hole wasn't anything the write home about. The second shot exit hole was devastating. It appeared to me that this bullet was happier when it hit something hard. It's hard to really know on my sample size of one, and coues aren't big dense animals. I imagine this bullet at my speed would do pretty well on elk but I can't confirm that. The two bulls Ive harvested with this rifle were with 168 gr Bergers.

aschuler

FNG
I'm getting 3150fps with my 7 SAUM with the 143HH. 22" inch barrel, H4831
I shot a bull elk at 520yds last fall and dropped him in his tracks. The terminal performance was excellent!

amassi

WKR
3035 fps out of my 7 SAUM. . . 425 yd shot on a coues . . ~2300 fps impact velocity.

These bullets were very accurate for me. Watched my first shot land behind the shoulder, deer stayed on his feet. Aimed high shoulder on the follow up, deer dropped. The first shot exit hole wasn't anything the write home about. The second shot exit hole was devastating. It appeared to me that this bullet was happier when it hit something hard. It's hard to really know on my sample size of one, and coues aren't big dense animals. I imagine this bullet at my speed would do pretty well on elk but I can't confirm that. The two bulls Ive harvested with this rifle were with 168 gr Bergers.

Your second bullet with the spectacular exit likely failed to open and tumbled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aschuler

FNG

I was concerned about this for my coues hunt. I used a 180 eldm for the coues deer and saved the 143HH's for elk. Both worked perfectly for their respective tasks. We dropped two bucks (my buddy used my rifle for his) with one shot each with the eldms.

I'm getting 3150fps with my 7 SAUM with the 143HH. 22" inch barrel, H4831
I shot a bull elk at 520yds last fall and dropped him in his tracks. The terminal performance was excellent!
I assume somewhere around 61gr of h4831? I have only run h4350 with them in my 20” and am pressuring out around 3100. No worries if you don’t want to share the load just curious. Are you in ADG also?

aschuler

FNG
I assume somewhere around 61gr of h4831? I have only run h4350 with them in my 20” and am pressuring out around 3100. No worries if you don’t want to share the load just curious. Are you in ADG also?
Sounds about right. I think I pressured out at around 3250 and found a nice wide node at 3150
Yes, ADG brass.

rootacres

WKR
Your second bullet with the spectacular exit likely failed to open and tumbled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to say as the bullet wasn’t recovered. I would argue the bullet hitting a shoulder has a greater likelihood of opening up than the first shot. As a whole these bullets have earned a pretty good reputation. I used them because they were super accurate and I could get them in 2021 when I was doing load development. The performance on this coues wouldn’t be a deterrent for me to use them going forward.

tom338

FNG
Son shot a mule deer buck at 150 yards, 2 shots broadside. Deer sucked both up and he didn't realize it was hit so shot a 3rd time as it was walking off, spines it that time. The only think I don't like about hammers is the smallish bullet diameter exit hole. I like a bigger exit hole for blood trails, I hunt some think stuff so most times I don't get to see the animal drop. So a bigger exit with more blood trail is important to me. Used hammers on that deer and one bull elk and switched back to Barnes. Everyone's preference is different

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw