Rest for sitting shots with Rifle

Gumbo

WKR
I just use standard, folding shooting sticks, but I'm not shooting 500 yards. I can shoot accurately enough to hammer an antelope out to 300-350 which is as far as I'm shooting. Perhaps I could shoot further with them because I get pretty rock-solid on them, but I've never tried. They are light, simple, quick to deploy, and not attached to my rifle...all great for my application. In my book they are as essential as the rifle itself for hunting.

Prone rifle across Pack bean bag under buttstock.

Seated rifle on quiksticks with buttstock on Pack.

I dislike all the triggersticks and pods as well as stock mounted kickstands like the Harris but the low Harris is good kit just not necessary.

406unltd

WKR
I don’t keep a bipod attached to my rifle but I do carry a BOGPOD bipod with me and it weighs appr 19oz and goes from 17-39” in height. I have used it on a couple animals and it worked great for shorter range and quicker shots. I wouldn’t used it for a long shot like 500 though. I lay down and use my pack for the front end and my small rain fly for my rear bag on any shot over 250.

I'd check out the Primos Polecat Steady Stix. They are super lightweight (8oz) and adaptable to any setup, whether that be sidehill, uphill, downhill, etc. You can change the height just by adjusting the width of the legs. With a little practice, you can figure out how to get pretty stable with these.

Wrench

WKR
FB_IMG_1539621082729.jpg

My daughter uses what I use....trekking poles with handles looped over each other. Prone I use a backpack, binocular, rock....etc to get the rear elevation. Sitting I'll use my pack or a stick under my armpit to stabilize. If a solid rest is available for a standing shot, I'll stretch out the poles and cradle the butt of the stock.

BAKPAKR

WKR
View attachment 91428

My daughter uses what I use....trekking poles with handles looped over each other. Prone I use a backpack, binocular, rock....etc to get the rear elevation. Sitting I'll use my pack or a stick under my armpit to stabilize. If a solid rest is available for a standing shot, I'll stretch out the poles and cradle the butt of the stock.

I use my trekking poles set up like Wrench, or even a couple of crossed broken off branches, if I can’t get prone. I haven’t actually shot any game at over 270 yards this way, but it is steady enough that I could stretch my range out much farther.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
As said above by others I’ve used my trekking poles for sitting but only to 450ish. Beyond 500 as OP said I don’t think I’d sit for a shot that long and would look to prone with a bipod and rear bag.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
I've used the BIPOD shooting sticks. 7.5oz and pretty versatile. You do have to carry them in your pocket or pack separate from your rifle, but for $40 they are worth trying out.

www.bipodshootingstick.com

I did not like this system. Cumbersome to get onto your rifle, not stable when at a low angle. They did however do a good job scraping gumbo out of my rims when they went out of balance coming back from eastern Montana.