Researching - Best ~$1k Action for First Build

SloppyJ

WKR
I want a new 30cal and I need some advice. I've never bought a custom action. I've built a couple savages for practice and I'm ready for a real one. I will complete the build and any sort of bedding or small tweaks required.

Looking at a 22" 300PRC or a 22" 300wsm on a Tikka. Seeing that a magnum Tikka is roughly $800 or so, I've decided to get what I really want which is a 300PRC and I don't feel like the limited mag length on a Tikka is the right platform for it. None of the high end factory rifles check all my boxes so I think the custom route is the best.

I'm looking at the Bighorn Origin or a Kelbly Atlas. Bonus points for a LH action but I can make a right hand work too. If the wait isn't too long for a LH, I'll go that route.

I like the interchangeable bolt heads on the origin and would use them but I think the Kelbly will be smoother. I'm a little concerned about the trigger hanger in regards to stock fitment and what sort of bottom metal is compatible with the Atlas. I want CIP length for the PRC. The only mention of CIP length actions on Kelblys site is for the Atlas lite. Anyone know of the normal Atlas or Tactical will work with a CIP length mag?

My ultimate want is a BDL, so I'm also considering the SR3. However it's an additional $400 over the other two. I don't need the rifle this year as my 30-06 and 280ai will do all I need so I can save the little bit extra and go that route which I know works with the long BDL.

Is it worth saving a bit more for the SR3? I have no where local to look at these and none of my buddies have any sort of custom actions. Just looking for some guidance before I drop a grand or more on an action. Don't have a lot of resources locally to browse or ask questions.

Thank you!

TaperPin

WKR
With custom actions it’s hard to go wrong - the machining on any of them seems to be well above factory actions. There is also a dividing point between custom actions - the one’s with the best machining don’t need to use prechambered barrels with a nut to adjust headspace - the receiver face to bolt face are exact enough the gunsmith chambering the barrel sets the headspace for that action and it will properly headspace on any action of that same model. Bat Machine is in that league (receiver face to bolt face is held to less than +/- .001” of the stated length) and they have a basic left handed nitrided action for $1100.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

When I had a Shilen barrel installed the chamber reamer used was slightly tighter in the neck and freebore than saami specs and it‘s a good shooter - something I’ll look for on the next rebarrel.

It sounds exciting - looking forward to seeing it come together!

Sevens

WKR
If you’re going to build, might as well build to suit you (I.e. get a left handed one). Believe that rules out the Kelbly.

Origin is a great action and I really like mine. They’re an extremely slick to run the bolt. If you want a BDL, I do think upgrading to the SR3 is worth it and you can then get it spec’ed for a Wyatt’s box. The Origin can be a little tricky to top load depending on how big your fingers are. SR3 has a larger ejection port cut for BDL.

Love the interchangeable bolt heads on all the Zermatt actions, allows you to easily swap to something like a 30-06 if you want something cheaper to shoot. The field stripable bolt is really nice too.

If you do look at the Kelby, might check out the Atlas Lite. Had an Atlas Tactical and, while a fine action, the ejection port was a little bit of a pain to feed into for a BDL setup. No trigger hanger on the Atlas Lite either.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
With custom actions it’s hard to go wrong - the machining on any of them seems to be well above factory actions. There is also a dividing point between custom actions - the one’s with the best machining don’t need to use prechambered barrels with a nut to adjust headspace - the receiver face to bolt face are exact enough the gunsmith chambering the barrel sets the headspace for that action and it will properly headspace on any action of that same model. Bat Machine is in that league (receiver face to bolt face is held to less than +/- .001” of the stated length) and they have a basic left handed nitrided action for $1100.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

When I had a Shilen barrel installed the chamber reamer used was slightly tighter in the neck and freebore than saami specs and it‘s a good shooter - something I’ll look for on the next rebarrel.

It sounds exciting - looking forward to seeing it come together!
I definitely want a shouldered prefit vs a nut on a gun like this. I don't mind the nut, have a few, but I feel a true shouldered prefit is a better application and is more aesthetically pleasing. I appreciate your response!

I dug into BAT a bit but didn't realize that igniter LA was at that price point. I'll go a little deeper on that one. I know they have a hell of a pedigree in benchrest. I see that the igniter is cut for a a wyatts extended box so it might move up on the list. Thanks for bringing that up.

Last edited:
OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
If you’re going to build, might as well build to suit you (I.e. get a left handed one). Believe that rules out the Kelbly.

Origin is a great action and I really like mine. They’re an extremely slick to run the bolt. If you want a BDL, I do think upgrading to the SR3 is worth it and you can then get it spec’ed for a Wyatt’s box. The Origin can be a little tricky to top load depending on how big your fingers are. SR3 has a larger ejection port cut for BDL.

Love the interchangeable bolt heads on all the Zermatt actions, allows you to easily swap to something like a 30-06 if you want something cheaper to shoot. The field stripable bolt is really nice too.

If you do look at the Kelby, might check out the Atlas Lite. Had an Atlas Tactical and, while a fine action, the ejection port was a little bit of a pain to feed into for a BDL setup. No trigger hanger on the Atlas Lite either.
Thank you for the words of advice. I like to hear from the people with experience with these products. It's all going to come down to budget but I'm strongly leaning to Bighorn due to aftermarket support and the interchangeable bolt heads. It seems if I can stomach the DBM then the origin makes a lot of sense. I need to do more research into good bottom metals that might allow a more flush magazine fit and research their release levers. I've always been a BDL guy but do have a few DBM rifles, granted they're all flush when inserted. The BAT mentioned above is seemingly what I want too.

Not sure what cartridge would be next for me that isn't a magnum but with two boys coming up you never know and that's why the bolt head is appealing to me. Although that will probably just be another excuse to get another rifle to add to the stable.

I have a short action Bat Igniter and absolutely love it, build quality, fit/finish and “slickness” are impressive. There are higher dollar actions out there I can’t imagine them being any slicker than the igniter. There’s no comparison to my Christensen which is a nice rifle it just feels gritty/cheap after playing with the Bat.
Only downside I’ve found is the lack of prefit barrels, I see them on forums for sale for bighorn/kelby/impact all the time.
My next rifle will be another Bat Igniter.

B23

WKR
I have a short action Bat Igniter and absolutely love it, build quality, fit/finish and “slickness” are impressive. There are higher dollar actions out there I can’t imagine them being any slicker than the igniter. There’s no comparison to my Christensen which is a nice rifle it just feels gritty/cheap after playing with the Bat.
Only downside I’ve found is the lack of prefit barrels, I see them on forums for sale for bighorn/kelby/impact all the time.
My next rifle will be another Bat Igniter.
Bought a new BAT Igniter for a 25 SAUM build a month or so ago. This is my second BAT receiver, other is a BAT HRPIC, I have a Kelbly and Stiller as well. Still waiting for a reamer so it's just a component but handling this BAT Igniter I can see more of these in my future above any of the others that I have.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a new BAT Igniter for a 25 SAUM build a month or so ago. This is my second BAT receiver, other is a BAT HRPIC, I have a Kelbly and Stiller as well. Still waiting for a reamer so it's just a component but handling this BAT Igniter I can see more of these in my future above any of the others that I have.
Where did you source the action?

B23

WKR
Where did you source the action?
I bought my BAT Igniter receiver from Unknown Munitions $1200 w/20 MOA pic rail. They're local to me but this was my first purchase with UM and they were great to deal with. I see more of my money going their way in the future.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
That’s my plan for sure but wondered where people are getting bat’s

Who has the classics?
Call up MOA Rifles. I cold called them to see if they had any left handed stocks in. I had no idea who they were but they're part of the extreme group that bought McMillan. One of the owners took my call, texted me pictures of new camo patterns they're trying, and was beyond helpful in placing an order for my stock. We BSd for about 5min and he told me to call back if I needed anything, said he could get me a deal on those defiance classic actions among other things. They also own defiance.

You can snag a defiance classic for under 1k right now that might be worth a look.
I just looked those up. They look pretty good. The only thing I wonder about is this one doesn’t have an integrated recoil lug. I know many do, but some of the more expensive models are integrated in it. Does that give you any concern, or is that a non issue?

I just looked those up. They look pretty good. The only thing I wonder about is this one doesn’t have an integrated recoil lug. I know many do, but some of the more expensive models are integrated in it. Does that give you any concern, or is that a non issue?
Not at all. The origin and other similar actions don't have an integrated lug as well. It just a cheaper way for them to manufacture the action is my guess. FWIW I have an origin and one other action without an integral lug and have zero complaints.

Not at all. The origin and other similar actions don't have an integrated lug as well. It just a cheaper way for them to manufacture the action is my guess. FWIW I have an origin and one other action without an integral lug and have zero complaints.
Awesome. I am just in the researching stage. I appreciate the reply.