Replacing DWR

What are you guys using to replace your factory DWR once it wears off? I've been using the nikwax spray and I'm not completely happy wth it.

wapitibob

WKR
just did it with grangers. We'll see how it works.

I'm not a nikwax fan having used an entire bottle of there boot stuff on one day and it didn't last 300 yards. I decided I didn't need to try their shell proof stuff.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
katdaddy,
Core4 went through an ownership change, so maybe why a disrupt in communication. Let me see if I can get your question answered as I'll be in touch with them.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just be careful and wear a mask if you use the spray DWR refinish. I did this and it put me in the hospital for a week. Coated my Lungs and I was in a well ventilated area.

i use revivex. the spray on heat set process type. they do have a few others. the process is, wash your item, then while wet spray a generous coating, then dry medium heat for 60 minutes. this is the product that rainy pass repair uses from washington state. they recommended it to me and have 1 year of use from this product thus far and it does work. i use this product pending on use every other wash on my rain gear. i use it as well on my dalibor jacket, it is a great asset to aiding me in the less desirable elements.........p.s. there is no chemicle smell from this productlarge_36221_GearAid_-ReviveX-SOWR_10ozGearAid_-ReviveX-SOWR_10oz.jpg.

Last edited:
Yep, my Core 4 tag it says to wash in Nikwax TX Direct. I emailed core 4 about 2 months ago to ask after how many days of wearing them to treat. No reply, even on Facebook.

@katdaddy there is no set number of days of wearing them before you replenish the finish, it all depends on how rough you are when you use it. Most DWR will wear out in the shoulders where you wear a pack and elbows/forearms where you brush up against things. The best and probably quickest/easiest way to check the status of your DWR is to get a spray bottle with water in it and spray your garment. If the water beads up on the surface and rolls away your fine and don't need to do anything. If it starts to absorb into the material the DWR has worn out and needs to be replenished.

Hope this helps!