Removing Spray Paint from a Modern Compound Bow Question - How To?

BigSky

WKR
I bought a bow from a guy who had spray painted it OD green. Simple question, is anybody here aware of a means of removing this without damaging the factory finish, decals, etc. underneath? Thanks in advance.

Oh, not that it matters, he did the cams too. He did everything except the strings and cables.

Firestone

WKR
I know a guy that took some paint thinner or maybe it was lacquer thinner to a bow and it made his cam collapse. Something to think about

I know a guy that took some paint thinner or maybe it was lacquer thinner to a bow and it made his cam collapse. Something to think about

Was it a plastic cam?

I have used gun scrubber aerosol. It will depend on what it was actually sprayed with, but more than likely you will want to just refinish the whole thing. Could try some acetone lightly on a cloth/paper towel. Maybe pull the spray paint off before it eats through to the original finish. If it was a clear coated original finish, it would help.

Firestone

WKR
Was it a plastic cam?

I have used gun scrubber aerosol. It will depend on what it was actually sprayed with, but more than likely you will want to just refinish the whole thing. Could try some acetone lightly on a cloth/paper towel. Maybe pull the spray paint off before it eats through to the original finish. If it was a clear coated original finish, it would help.
No, and tell you the truth I can't even remember what brand it was(it's been about 10 years) but I remember he called them up and they replaced it but said that's what had happened. It may have even been brake cleaner that he used, It's been a while

No, and tell you the truth I can't even remember what brand it was(it's been about 10 years) but I remember he called them up and they replaced it but said that's what had happened. It may have even been brake cleaner that he used, It's been a while

I can't think of anything widely available that is going to damage aluminum. Wouldn't e anything worse than what they cleaned the cam in after machining prior to whatever paint/powder coat they put on it.

Likely a design problem, but they wanted something to blame. Normally with that they would say it was dryfired and no warranty.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’d be more worried about the limbs than cams or riser.
I’d start with denatured alcohol and work up to acetone. That and a box of Qtips.

Firestone

WKR
I can't think of anything widely available that is going to damage aluminum. Wouldn't e anything worse than what they cleaned the cam in after machining prior to whatever paint/powder coat they put on it.

Likely a design problem, but they wanted something to blame. Normally with that they would say it was dryfired and no warranty.
I agree, may have just been something to blame it on, but that was the sequence of events in which it occurred.

nphunter

WKR
To do it right break the bow down or have someone break it down and do one piece at a time. I’d use acetone if it were me on a rag. The problem with doing the whole bow is that you will have a solvent soaking into things like limb pockets and axle holes which isn’t good. A lot of limbs are laminated which means glued together and you don’t want solvent soaking into them.
If you can’t break it down to clean it up I’d leave it alone or just hit the high spots which might make it look worse.

Beendare

WKR
👆🏻Agreed, Acetone and MEK can break down the glues used to make bow limbs and carbon arrows.

I too would start with 90% alcohol.

My guess, Restoring to original is next to impossible. Anything messes with decals.
I lke the idea of disassemble, light sand, prime and start over.

OR Archer

WKR
Simply put you’re not going to save the original finish. Anything that will strip that paint will strip the original finish. I would contact some film dipping companies and see what they would charge you to refinish the bow. Be less headache honestly.

OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
Simply put you’re not going to save the original finish. Anything that will strip that paint will strip the original finish. I would contact some film dipping companies and see what they would charge you to refinish the bow. Be less headache honestly.
This was my exact thought and fear. Every thread like this on any forum on which I could find one is full of answers similar to this: "you could try xxx, etc.". Although always well-intentioned, they're mostly the same. I was hoping I would come across someone who had done it with something obscure like "we discovered that a 50/50 mixutre of instant vanilla pudding and sweet potato baby food removed it with no damage to the finish". I speculate that it is not to be.

Maybe I'll have it dipped or just sell it and give someone a great deal. Even painted, a Ventum 33 should still be in demand.

OR Archer

WKR
This was my exact thought and fear. Every thread like this on any forum on which I could find one is full of answers similar to this: "you could try xxx, etc.". Although always well-intentioned, they're mostly the same. I was hoping I would come across someone who had done it with something obscure like "we discovered that a 50/50 mixutre of instant vanilla pudding and sweet potato baby food removed it with no damage to the finish". I speculate that it is not to be.

Maybe I'll have it dipped or just sell it and give someone a great deal. Even painted, a Ventum 33 should still be in demand.
I’d like to see a picture of the bow. Is it a terrible paint job?

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it with 91% alcohol. It is a real PITA and it will take a lot of time. I helped out at a local shop and they took one in trade that had been rattle canned FDE. I would work on it in my spare time. It was a Mathews in the stone gray color. You will have to use cotton swabs for the cracks and crevasses. The alcohol didn't hurt the finish or the "stickers". Just take your time and don't over saturate the cloth with alcohol. You can remove all of it you care to put the effort in to.

Was it a plastic cam?

Depending on solvent used, it can drastically effect the strength of aluminum.. best way to change the current paint would be to either paint over it or a very very light application of bead blast/sand blast. Soda blasting might work, but glass blasting will probably be the most effective but safe method of paint removal

KenLee

WKR

Dammit now I need to find somewhere for lunch that has banana pudding. I only have to see or hear pudding for the urge to kick in.

Depending on solvent used, it can drastically effect the strength of aluminum.. best way to change the current paint would be to either paint over it or a very very light application of bead blast/sand blast. Soda blasting might work, but glass blasting will probably be the most effective but safe method of paint removal

What regularly available cleaning agent is going to damage aluminum?

Yes, there's lots of chemicals that can, you ain't grabbing them at a hardware store to clean paint. Vinegar is the only household item that I can think of that would damage it, might be more, but you could soak in kerosene, diesel, gas, or acetone with no effect. I think those are way more commonly thought of for cleaners/removers.

OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
Thanks for all of the input. It's not as bad as I thought. The bow, according to Hoyt Customer Service, is Wilderness Green. So, that is the subdued color it has. Apparently the guy who had it just did some "touch up" on the limbs slightly covering the decals and some light spray on the cams and other parts to eliminate reflection. Like I said, not as bad as I originally thought.

I’d like to see a picture of the bow. Is it a terrible paint job?
OR Archer, I just now saw your post. Here are your pictures.

34aNKI3l.jpg

XJutrV1l.jpg

9diacIyl.jpg

Last edited: