Removing Composite stays from a Duplex

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I am a little embarassed guys but I can not remove the composite stays from my duplex frame by hand. Does anyone have any tips for removing them?

Yes, done it several times. You have to pull really effin hard, Seriously!

Yes, done it several times. You have to pull really effin hard, Seriously!

The following is a quote from Kevin at Kifaru when I asked him the "remove the stays question...

It’s not that difficult to remove the aluminum stays. I would recommend clamping the bottom end of the stay in a vise and pulling on the web handle on the top of the frame. The aluminum stays come out of the frame much easier than the carbon laminate stays. Then to re install the stays I use a plastic mallet to tap the stays back in. You should remove the stays first before trying to flatten them out. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 6 in difficulty. The carbon stays are a 9.

Have fun! :D

Why are you wanting to remove them?

I have aluminum stays to put in place of them. I need a different profile for my back than the composites have. That being said however I just found out the frame I purchased used that was advertised as 26" is actually a 24" and my 26" stays will be of no use anyway. I am just glad I checked it BEFORE I got them out.

Back