Sold Rem 700 SS .280AI Mountain Rifle; B&C, Kampfeld, Langley, Hart, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Another one I’ll no doubt regret selling. This is a stainless steel Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Ackley. Born in October, 1992 with barrel date code EM, when Remington quality meant something.

The rifle started life as a .280 Remington. Renowned gunsmith John Langley did the Ackley conversion. He removed a full thread from the barrel and then rechambered to .280 AI. As a result, the OEM barrel text is in the proper position on the left side. Darrel Worsley tuned the original Walker-style trigger, which pulls at a consistent 2 lbs 8 oz. Hart Custom Rifles installed the radial muzzle brake, Sako extractor and skim-bedded the action in the stock. Karl Kampfeld spiral fluted the bolt in the Ti pattern, skeletonized the bolt handle, and ceramic bead blasted the bolt assembly. Finally, the barreled action is skim-bedded into a Bell & Carlson ADL stock with the correct mountain rifle barrel channel profile. The stock has the B&C aluminum bedding block. John Blake painted the stock in dark olive with silver and gold webbing. The stock looks awesome! The result is a great-looking rifle that functions and shoots very well.

Some specs:
Barrel length: 22”
Barrel length with brake: 23-5/8”
LOP: 13-1/2”
Bare rifle weight: 6 lbs 2.5 oz.
Total length: 44”

I have not removed the brake; it’s on there pretty tight. But since the barrel is barely .500” diameter at the muzzle, I’m guessing the muzzle threads are ½-28. The rifle shoots sub MOA with factory Barnes 140gr TTSX .280 Remington ammo. I have owned the rifle for about 3 months and haven’t had a chance to try any factory .280AI ammo or handloads. But it does a nice job of fire-forming the brass. 😊

There are no disappointments with this fine rifle. The metal is near perfect, and the stock is in brand new condition cosmetically. The brake is very effective. I sighted in this one and my 7mm-08 Rem 700 Ti in the same range session. I shot this one first, and then the 7mm-08. The -08 is a thumper compared to this Ackley! Very smooth recoil impulse.

$1,675 $1,650 shipped. Zeiss scope and Talley’s not included. A lot of good gunsmithing has gone into this rifle, folks. Only reason I’m selling it, and selling it well below the $$ I have in it, is I’ve found another rifle I can’t live without. This firearm ADD can be hazardous to the wallet. Some of you guys may understand. ☹ Drop me a PM if you have questions or want more photos. Thanks for looking.

Keith

IMG_7192.jpgIMG_7202.jpgIMG_7203.jpgIMG_7204.jpgIMG_7205.jpgIMG_7206.jpgIMG_7195.jpgIMG_7196.jpgIMG_7211.jpgIMG_7214.jpg

Last edited:

Bkottke35

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
“I don’t need it, I don’t need it, I don’t need it!”

Nice rifle. Good luck with sale!

B.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
$1,625 shipped, and I'll throw in a box of Barnes 140gr TTSX .280 Rem ammo. You couldn't have this rifle built for any less than $2K.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.